M1 vs Havoline

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a '98 Camry, 4 cyl, with 60,000 miles on it. The motor seems prety clean inside, from what I can see. For my 1st oil change I mixed 2 quarts of Mobil Drive clean and 2 quarts of Mobil 1 synthetic, both 5w-30. (Actually 3.8 qts total).
The oil has 2ooo miles on it, and is still very clean. This car is a snap to change oil on. I bought 4 quarts of Mobil 1 Synthetic at Wal-Mart. $3.60 a quart, everyday price. The other 2 wal marts are 4.50 qt. Then I noticed Advanced auto had the Havoline 5w-30 synthetic on sale for $2.98 a quart and I bought a case of 6. This is the blue Chevron-Texaco bottle. Is it any good, should I stock up on more, and should I do the Havoline of Mobil for my first oil change?

The havoline is a GIII base oil. I used the havoline syn for years with no problems, but I think that it was a true synthetic before 98. Your decision should probably be based on your planned OCI's. I am using mobil 1 in my 99 camry and the only UOA I've done, looked excellent.
smile.gif

Big Lots had the Havoline Syn. for 1.99. But 2.98 is still a great price for Syn group 3 or not.

Havoline Syn
Pennzoil Syn
valvoline syn
castrol Syn
and many other syns are group 3's So what there still better than regular Dino's for heat and flow points

Havoline synthetic is not too shabby in my opinion. Just ran my f150 4000 miles on it.. pulling 1000 lbs for 2000 (empty trailer) and 5000 lbs coming back. Gave that little 6 cylinder quite a work out in the ozarks. No oil problems here.. (havoline synthetic 10w30) ..only problem was a slight leak out of the oil filter...mobil 1 filter...I guess I pushed it pretty hard
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back