M1 vs Delvac

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay folks, I'm new to the board and have been reading good things about Delvac. Here is my question- Which would be better for my 2000 LS1 Firebird, 85 Mustang, and my Kia. In my 1st post I stated that I had been using 0W30 M1 in the LS1 and the Kia with no oil consumption problems. I reckon I really need to step up to 10W30 at least in the summer-right? So which is it-5W40 Delvac or M1 in 10W30 or maybe 10W40?
Inquiring minds need to know from Knowlegable minds!

Well, most people will probably say to step up to the 10W30. My question is why? If the engines are operating fine, if you have no oil consumption and leak/seepage issues then why change. Is appears that you have not had an analysis done so I would suggest that to see if the 0W is doing its job, then maybe change. Like your spouse or girlfriend, if she is still performing her functions and you are satisfied a change can be a huge hassle and the grass is not alway greener. In fact it could be a cow pasture full of cow chips.

[ August 22, 2002, 08:44 AM: Message edited by: Spector ]

Judd,

As for 10W40, I think AMSOIL is the only one that makes a full synthetic with that weight. I could be wrong, of course.

As for your other comments, I'm going to second Spector's comments. If the engine is tickity-boo with the oil you're using, then I say stick with it, and run some analysis to confirm. I suggest using 5W40 oils only if you do:

- a lot of high speed driving (excess of 65mph).
- high load (trailer towing, heavy loads in trunk, etc.)
- have some slight oil consumption due to oil burn-off.

Regards,

Oz

As we have seen in the analysis section, oils don't always behave as we would expect them too.

My knee-jerk reaction is to say, switch to 10W30, or better yet, 0W40(which is nothing like the other formulations)

You are running $20-25 worth of oil with each change. My advice is to run an analysis on each vehicle, at the normal oil change interval, and see how each is doing. Some may shock you, some may leave you pleasantly suprised.

It's all in the application.

quote:

Originally posted by The_Oz:
Judd,

As for 10W40, I think AMSOIL is the only one that makes a full synthetic with that weight. I could be wrong, of course.

Oz

Redline also makes a 10w40 synthetic.

Other manufacturers that make 10w40 include

Mobil
Castrol
Motul
Pennzoil
Valvoline
Silkolene
Torco
Klotz
Golden Spectro

and few others. Most are for motorcycles but there's nothing wrong with using them in cars.

Judd,
How many miles are on the Kia and have you noticed any weepage from the front and rear main seals? How many miles between changes on the Kia?
It's a Rio correct?

Mobil 1 10W-30 is perfect for all your vehicles. Churning a too heavy oil (40W, example) in an engine which does not need a 40W is creating heat, robbing horsepower and doing nothing positive for your engine. There is no substitute for viscosity, to the point of optimum viscosity thickness. Anything thicker and we start down the other side of the power curve..
George Morrison

As I've said before, I don't run 0W40 for the viscosity, I run it for the formulation.

If Mobil would release a 10W30 that was as good as the 0W40 I'd run that.

So I feel that the counterproductive effects of the vis, are more than offset by the formulation.

quote:

Originally posted by GeorgeCLS:
Mobil 1 10W-30 is perfect for all your vehicles. Churning a too heavy oil (40W, example) in an engine which does not need a 40W is creating heat, robbing horsepower and doing nothing positive for your engine. There is no substitute for viscosity, to the point of optimum viscosity thickness. Anything thicker and we start down the other side of the power curve..
George Morrison

Power-curve-shmower-curve: I'll gleefully sacrifice some pick up and MPG if it means my engine will last longer!

quote:

Originally posted by GeorgeCLS:
George Morrison

Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of 10w30, and it's probably the only viscosity I'll ever run in my 95 LT1 Firebird, however I do think that one step higher, to a 40wt, won't hurt a thing other than a slight drop in MPG and a little bit less horsepower. As long as it's a middle to low end 40wt, it's not going to make much difference compared to a thicker 10w30 such as Amsoil which is almost a 40wt anyways. Keep in mind that Mobil 1 10w30 is thin enough that it's not too far off from being a 10w20. Under very hard driving I don't know if I would feel too comfortable with that in my engine (which is one of the reasons I no longer use Mobil 1 in my Firebird)

Are there any big chain stores that sell the D1 besides Wal-Mart? I am thinking of giving it a try, but I'm not willing to pay truck stop prices for the oil and none of the North Dallas Wal-Mart's that I've been to (4 of them) carry it.

Thanks everyone for the responses. The Kia is a Rio and it has about 10K on it now. Not enough miles to see anything yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back