M1 Turbo Diesel Truck VS Maxlife Heavy Duty

Status
Not open for further replies.
We just got our power back after being off for 60hrs (not complaining, just stating facts) because of PG&E's Public Safety Power Shutoff.

We have a Yamaha 5200 Generator that we use to power our house through a transfer switch during power outages.

During the first 24hrs of use our generator was filled with M1 TDT 5w40 and consumed 1/4qt of oil. After topping it off with more of the same oil I didn't feel right because I work for a Public Utility and would be out working for an extended period because of the power outages.

So, I quickly drained that oil (1.2qt sump) and filled it with Maxlife Heavy Duty 15w40. When I got home afyer 24hrs I checked the oil when I was topping off the gas and it didn't consume any oil (at least that I could notice).

My wife topped off the fuel when I was gone but I didn't want her to have to mess with the oil along with everthying thing else she managed while I was gone providing utility service to the local area.

I am happy knowing that the Maxlife Heavy Duty 15w40 can go 24hrs without consumption. I'll definitely keep running it during the warm months. But, I'll be switching over to Rotella T6 0w40 that I have left over once the snow hits.

(I'd like to keep this Topic on Best Generator Oils for Extended Runs and not politics about PG&E/California)

Screenshot_20190929-082737.jpg

Screenshot_20191011-195848.jpg

Screenshot_20191011-195708.jpg

My 7500 and (2) 4000's have Delvac 1 5w40 - like the MV since they are all pull start.

Originally Posted by SavagePatch
We just got our power back after being off for 60hrs (not complaining, just stating facts) because of PG&E's Public Safety Power Shutoff.

We have a Yamaha 5200 Generator that we use to power our house through a transfer switch during power outages.

During the first 24hrs of use our generator was filled with M1 TDT 5w40 and consumed 1/4qt of oil. After topping it off with more of the same oil I didn't feel right because I work for a Public Utility and would be out working for an extended period because of the power outages.

So, I quickly drained that oil (1.2qt sump) and filled it with Maxlife Heavy Duty 15w40. When I got home afyer 24hrs I checked the oil when I was topping off the gas and it didn't consume any oil (at least that I could notice).

My wife topped off the fuel when I was gone but I didn't want her to have to mess with the oil along with everthying thing else she managed while I was gone providing utility service to the local area.

I am happy knowing that the Maxlife Heavy Duty 15w40 can go 24hrs without consumption. I'll definitely keep running it during the warm months. But, I'll be switching over to Rotella T6 0w40 that I have left over once the snow hits.

(I'd like to keep this Topic on Best Generator Oils for Extended Runs and not politics about PG&E/California)

My dad is using Maxlife 15w40 and VWB 15w40after that in his generator without issue

15W40 is going to have less burn off in heavy, hot continuous use than 5W40. As long as you can get the generator started & it's not below freezing, I would think 15W40 or even straight SAE 30 HDEO would be better than 5W40.

Was the generator new for the first run with M1? Where in California do you live that you need 0w-40 in the winter?

Originally Posted by Lolvoguy
How long was the M1 TDT 5w40 in the sump before you ran it?

The M1 TDT 5w40 had been in the sump since last Spring but only ran every month or two for 30min.

Originally Posted by CT8
Was the generator new for the first run with M1? Where in California do you live that you need 0w-40 in the winter?

No, it's about 15 years old.

I live near Tahoe. I wouldn't so much say that I need it rather want it. My stash of GC 0w30 is depleted and I have a partial jug of the RT6 0w40 in the cabinet.

Originally Posted by SavagePatch
Originally Posted by Lolvoguy
How long was the M1 TDT 5w40 in the sump before you ran it?

The M1 TDT 5w40 had been in the sump since last Spring but only ran every month or two for 30min.

I would expect more consumption with the 5W-40. In my lawn mowers I have to add oil mid season. With 15W-40 I do not , the 15w it thicker.. I run the 5w-40 Rotella in my tractor for winter starts [ snow clearing if needed], so I have extra oil on hand as the tractor takes 2.5 gallons and I buy 3 gallon jugs. 15W-40 is by far a superior oil I used to have a house in S. lake Tahoe on Elwood St. I sold it 20 years ago. It gets brisk there during the winters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back