M1 TDT vs. T6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just an observation:

Nobody seems to run TDT here like they do T6. T6 is recommended for turboed cars, Jeep 4.0s, OPE engines etc. They are only a few dollars apart price wise at WM and offer a very simular addpack IIRC.

What seems to be the differences?

if you are using a gas engine 0w40 is pretty much better in everyway IMHO vs TDT.

now in a cherokee 4.0

I'd use 15w40 half the year and t6(5w40) or t5(10w30) the other half.

In the subaru turbo world, t6 is very highly thought of

Last edited:
I tried both in the '99 Cherokee a few years ago. That was the ONLY time I've ever personally seen a change of oil brand affect an oil leak. 4.0's tend to weep at the rear main seal, and my daughter's 99 is no exception. With T6, it will drop about a half-dollar sized circle of oil under the bellhousing overnight (3-5 drops, I'd guess). On the fill of TDT it would drop about a palm-sized blotch of oil (maybe a half-teaspoon) overnight. Still went a full 8000 miles without adding a quart, but the spots on the driveway were bigger. I swtiched back to T6, and it went back to half-dollar sized spots. Very odd.

Mobil 1 TDT 5w40 is somewhat overly thick when cold with a lower viscosity index and a KV40 @ 97.9 cst vs T6 which is 87 cSt. Both are similar at KV100, with T6 being 14.2 cst vs TDT 14.5 cSt.

At Walmart RT6 is close to $22/gallon and M1 TDT is closer to $26/gallon.

That is probably why you find more people using RT6.

A guy I know quite well had the turbo fail in his VW TDI because of carbon deposits. Oil used, T6.

Originally Posted By: SilverC6
No Cummins certification on the Mobil TDT.

Up here, at least, M1 TDT is for suckers, thanks to Walmart Canada's and Canadian Tire's awful pricing. Delvac 1 ESP 5w-40, with all the certs, is half the price. Walmart and CT never roll back the price of TDT.

Originally Posted By: Garak
No Cummins certification on the Mobil TDT.

Up here, at least, M1 TDT is for suckers, thanks to Walmart Canada's and Canadian Tire's awful pricing. Delvac 1 ESP 5w-40, with all the certs, is half the price. Walmart and CT never roll back the price of TDT.

Mobil Delvac 1 ESP 5W-40 would work just fine.

I don't understand why EOM doesn't distribute that product widely in the USA.

Maybe they feel Delvac 1300 Super 15W-40 is good enough.

I don't understand why EOM doesn't distribute that product widely in the USA.

Maybe they feel Delvac 1300 Super 15W-40 is good enough.

That, and TDT is certainly "good enough," too, assuming the price is sensible. Up here, TDT is only a consumer product. The distributor won't even sell it to the general public. So, if Walmart is selling TDT at a sensible price, great. The $50 neighborhood it calls for up here isn't sensible, however.

Many years ago, for various reasons, Shell cut back its distributor network in western Canada. Of course, they had the retail availability to negate any concerns. When CT and WM went to "pillage and plunder" pricing, the strange distributor network can be problematic.

If I'm paying about $25 a jug for Delvac 1 ESP 5w-40, you can just imagine what Walmart's markup is on a $50 jug of TDT, or CT's markup for that matter (which is even a bit more). I'm lucky because I'm used to buying stuff from a distributor. Lots of people haven't even considered it.

I dont get it.. Is TDT good stuff or what? I see that someone says its for suckers, how's that? Just over priced but a good oil or what?

Originally Posted By: NattyBoh
I dont get it.. Is TDT good stuff or what? I see that someone says its for suckers, how's that? Just over priced but a good oil or what?

I think Garak is referring to the cost of tdt in Canada and only a sucker would pay that much for it considering the cost at a distributor.

Hi,
NattyBoh - Yes, it is "good stuff". It is effectively the "Consumer" version of Delvac 1 5W-40

I have extensive satisfactory user experience with Delvac 1 5W-40 in various engines over millions of kms

Originally Posted By: NattyBoh
I dont get it.. Is TDT good stuff or what?

Yes, it's very good stuff. As Clevy mentioned, it's just overpriced up here, and that isn't XOM's fault, either. M1 TDT is a resale product, and Imperial Oil only sells it to resellers (like Walmart or Canadian Tire). At least, it's not on any of my sell sheets. The related product, Delvac 1 ESP 5w-40, is about half the price at Imperial Oil that WM or CT charge for TDT. Additionally, TDT never seems to be included on any of the regular M1 sales.

I'm merely knocking the pricing model we face for that product, and not the product itself. WM and CT price it to the point that it's prohibitive to a commercial trucker.

I hope its good stuff! Lol.

I have a whole stash I was able to buy on clearance. I already use it in the liquid cooled diesel OPE as well as the air cooled stuff. Pressure washer, push mowers, yard vac. etc.

Delvac 1 5w-40 and it's OTC close cousin the Mobil 1 TDT are outstanding lubes.

Unfortunately most folks don't ever leave them in long enough to merit the cost.

I don't have a lot of experience with T6 in turbochargers, but, I think Mobil 1 TDT does well in that area. Here's a test Mobil did showing the performance of Mobil 1 in a turbocharger.

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Synthetics/Mobil_1_Heat_Protection.aspx

Mobil says they use group 3,4, and 5 in their oils, whereas T6 is, I believe, mainly group 3, with a little 4 in it. I think this makes a difference in high heat conditions, with the advantage being in Mobil's favor.

I used T6 first in our vehicles and equipment, then tried TDT. Based on the way they are running, and how they sound, I'm liking the TDT over the T6. Our family has three Kubota tractors, and they all run better with the TDT versus T6, especially the BX2230 and L2900. I know some people say they can't really tell a difference between oil brands, well, for me, there IS a difference. The TDT causes the engines to run smoother and quieter than T6. When I say smoother, the vibrations of the running engines going through the tractors' frame and up their steering wheels are really reduced with TDT. With the T6, they vibrated more. And when I say quieter, it's something you can hear standing next to the tractors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back