M1 TDT Absolutely Stopped My 5.3L Cold Clacking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've owned my 2003 GMC Sierra 1500 with a 5.3L Vortec since brand new.

It had nothing but 3k Conventional 5w-30 OCI's up to 63,000 miles.

It had nothing but 4-7k Synthetic 5w-30 OCI's up to the last fill.

Then, knowing the stout additive pack, and knowing I'd pull my heavy boat a lot, I thought what the heck: I filled it with Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck (TDT) 5w-40 last Spring, close to 200,000 miles.

- On 5w-30: Each cold start for years (at 32F & under), the engine would clack like crazy until it warmed up, then it slowly went quiet.

- On this M1 TDT 5w-40 fill: Each cold start (at 32F & under), there is NO engine clacking.

I have repeatably started this engine in cold weather to prove eit's consistent.

It sits and sat outside for the past 5 years. It's 7F this morning and it started quiet as can be (and has all this season).

...and before anyone gets on this kick... I have had zero bias on engine weights.

Amazing.

Actually quite wonderful. What an easy fix!

I cannot comment on the ridiculously cold weather starts, but I have seen oils make a dramatic difference in noise levels in our fleet trucks with the same engine.

In our case we switched from M1 to Maxlife, the difference was awesome!

Last edited:
I believe certain additives help. I've observed dramatic differences in cold engine noise in our Honda with different brands of oil. I presume different brands use different additive packages (borne out, at least in part, by oil analyses).

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
What kind of a clack was it? Sticky lifter or piston slap?

it's not Piston Slap, as I know that sound... I had it on my 2000 5.3L. That's why I said "clacking"
smile.gif
This is different for sure.

Probably lifter noise, but I do not know for sure. I am just amazed.

Would like to know if it's weight and/or additive differences.....

Last edited:
I mentioned a while back I was using 1/2 qt. of TDT 5W40 in a 4 1/2 qt sump as an additive. In back to back testing adding it to Havoline 5W30 synthetic oil consumption was reduced from about 1 qt of oil /5,000 mile OCI to less than half a qt. I'm sold on it.

So, would this difference be from the additive pack, viscosity difference or both??

I spotted several quarts on clearance at WM and was tempted to buy it for use in the Burb until I discovered that the clearance price was still $7/qt. I passed but will check back from time to time to see if it drops down to $3/qt or less.

Originally Posted By: MalfunctionProne
That's great. RP 0W-20 had the same exact result with mine on a lifter tick on the 1999 Ford Expedition.

That would be an HLA, not a lifter. It just takes up slack in the roller/camshaft interface on the Modular. The term "lifter" refers to a component in pushrod engines that rides directly on the camshaft and they can be roller or flat-tappet (they are also referred to as tappets) and solid or hydraulic.

Originally Posted By: Turk
Originally Posted By: FL_Rob
Thicker oil may have masked this potential issue.

http://www.pistonslap.com/tsb/020601038.htm

Just the website name immediately screams of bias but it may have some use.

As mentioned, it is "not" Piston Slap. That I know for sure.
thumbsup2.gif

Yeah ,i know what your saying about piston slap and i believe you ..i just happened upon this potential o-ring problem on their site.It speaks of aeration of oil or some degree of oil pressure loss.A thicker oil certainly would give a slight sealing effect to a bad o-ring,if that's even relevant in this case.It certainly describes the overall idea of what you're hearing.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
I believe certain additives help. I've observed dramatic differences in cold engine noise in our Honda with different brands of oil. I presume different brands use different additive packages (borne out, at least in part, by oil analyses).

The various J30 and J35/7 engines are real piston slapper when it's below 10F! They will put any GM v8 or Jeep 4.0 to shame! They still have substantial piston slap up to 40F or so. Doesn't seem to affect them at all.

It's piston slap. Most all of the 5.3s had it. A friend had that engine and he sued GM, but lost. Call Jasper engine re-builders and they will tell you all about it, and what they do to correct that problem with the pistons. The much higher ZPPD may not help your engine over time with the too high ZDDP that's in TDT.

tig1, you'd have to hear it.

Without taking it apart, I'm pretty sure it's lifters. Another mechanic who knows these engines well also said it's not piston slap.

M1 TDT did the exact opposite with my Jeep!
crazy2.gif

Good oil though nonetheless. Bought about 10 gallons last year on clearance for the diesel tractors.. one of which unfortunately has a 9 quart sump. That's what you call a stash depleter.

Update time.......

My 2003 5.3L Sierra with 200k on it STILL sounds fantastic on the M1-TDT 5w-40, even during all the below zero cold-start mornings outside in Minnesota,

No start-up noise whatsoever. I keep the door open when I start it and hear nothing.
shocked2.gif

It clacked for years on those quality 5w-30 oils I previously posted.

I'm just shocked every time I start it up.

So, if you have a similar condition, please don't be afraid to try the M1-TDT Heavy Duty Diesel Oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back