M1 taxi engine tear down

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: double vanos
Hey, remember the "Hero" Ecoboost engine that Ford tortured every which a way and then tore it down at the New York auto show before an audience? Check out that video and see how clean that engine was inside.

I wonder what oil was used in that engine. If it was a Motorcraft product it sure worked well in that engine.

Of course with all the fuel dilution that goes on with the EB engine, outright fuel wash might be the reason for such clean innards...

My understanding is that it was Motorcraft synthetic blend.

If this was 1 million K's of short trips and cold starts I would be impressed. We all know most wear occurs at start up and the least wear happens on the highway with a warm engine (which is what this car saw). No doubt though M1 is a good oil.

Originally Posted By: gregk24
If this was 1 million K's of short trips and cold starts I would be impressed.

Me too, don't expect those results any time soon from any of the oil companies. They already know the results, and posting, displaying, or using them in an ad won't help sales.

I'm not sure if this has already been posted but Mobil has added a short video showing the tear down of the rest of the engine to their site.

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Videos/Videos.aspx?video=131

The video is a recap of the previous live tear down and around the 3:27 mark continues with the rest of the engine.

Unless I missed it they still haven't divulged the OCI used for this test and I suspect these results could have been achieved using synthetic from any of the major names. While the conditions of this test may not be as terribly hard on oil as Mobil would have us believe it is nice to see a company proving the performance of their product in this way. This certainly beats two cars running side-by-side on a dynamometer until one smokes and sparks...

5k OCI of any synthic would leave an engine pristine - as mentioned by 10cent take this tear down with a grain of salt as M1 could have been very conservative with their OCI scheduling.

Back in 97 Consumer Reports did a NYC Taxi test and found synthetic and dino wasn't any difference in wear. Google it if you want details.

Originally Posted By: ottotheclown
Back in 97 Consumer Reports did a NYC Taxi test and found synthetic and dino wasn't any difference in wear. Google it if you want details.

The used oil analysis we see here prove that as well. Synthetic lasts longer in service than conventional but as far as wear goes I doubt any measurable differences would be seen or detected.

Right, but keep in mind that the synthetic was run at twice the OCI as the dino and with the same wear!!!

Originally Posted By: Capa

Right, but keep in mind that the synthetic was run at twice the OCI as the dino and with the same wear!!!

True, and lets not forget 97 was more than a decade ago.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

And if anything I feel that conventional oils have improved far more than synthetics since then...

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

And if anything I feel that conventional oils have improved far more than synthetics since then...

That's a fair assumption, and I agree 100%, but synthetics haven't been frozen in time either.
smile.gif

Did anyone else think of Pennzoil Ultra's marketing when watching the rest of the tear down?

I thought the pistons looked pretty dirty and had the large mark on side just like in Ultra's marketing pictures for Mobil 1.

I'm a Mobil 1 fan, but I noticed that.

It was amusing in the original video, they told us that normal oil changes are 3000 miles and with synthetic they might go 2-4x as long, well WHAT did this car go?

That's a fair assumption, and I agree 100%, but synthetics haven't been frozen in time either.
smile.gif
[/quote]

Absolutely true.

My impression is that the gap between the two has narrowed considerably though...

My impression is that the gap between the two has narrowed considerably though...

Absolutely!

That's because dino has more synthetic base stock than in yester-year. Also that's why dinos cost is so great these days.
Originally Posted By: Ayrton
Did anyone else think of Pennzoil Ultra's marketing when watching the rest of the tear down?

I thought the pistons looked pretty dirty and had the large mark on side just like in Ultra's marketing pictures for Mobil 1.

I'm a Mobil 1 fan, but I noticed that.

It was amusing in the original video, they told us that normal oil changes are 3000 miles and with synthetic they might go 2-4x as long, well WHAT did this car go?

The side of the piston that PU shows is the round side. The side M1 showed was the boss side which is the side of any piston that will show some tarnish. Very deceptive of PU.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back