M1 T&D 5w40 ACEA E7 - OK for ACEA A3/B3 spec?

Status
Not open for further replies.
For a 2003 Saab 2.0 turbo, daily driver...

I'm trying to find a 5w40 that meets A3/B3, that I can purchase locally, and is fully synthetic. The closest I can find to that is M1 0w-40, but I'd really prefer a 5W-40 in the Summer.

There's not a lot available that meets the A3/B3. I've seen some folks suggest that M1 Truck/Diesel 5w40 is OK, but it meets ACEA E7, not A3/B3 since it's diesel oriented. Is it OK to use? Or a bad idea?

I'm not sure why you're so concerned about the 0W-40. The oil is still 40 weight at temp and is A3/B3 certified.

I would NOT use the M1 T&D in an engine calling for an A3/B3 oil.

Originally Posted By: daman
Mobil 1's HM formulas 10/30 and 40(also SN) are A3/B3 also.

I don't want to go to a 10W due to start up flow. I'm in the Northeast, so the number of months when I could feel good about a 10W startup are short.

Castrol 5w-40 synthetic. A3/B3 approved and the weight your looking for.

It is a great oil, but M1 0w-40 is just as good if not better. GC is also a excellent choice. Don't be fooled by the 0w-30 rating of GC. It is a tough oil and pretty much as heavy as any xw-40 and stays that way for thousands of miles since it shears very little. All of the ones listed are A3/B3 approved and have HTHS #'s of above 3.5.

Originally Posted By: JimBob
I'd really prefer a 5W-40 in the Summer.

In New Hampshire? I'd use M1 0w40 in that car in the summertime here in Texas, no questions asked. Don't get so caught up by the 0w rating out front.

I don't want to go to a 10W due to start up flow. I'm in the Northeast, so the number of months when I could feel good about a 10W startup are short.

See my profile,i live in MI and run the 10w30 HM all year around,synthetics flow just fine in the winter,you'll be ok.

FWIW I use the TDT in my 2003 Saab 9-5 Aero, 2.3 turbo. Different engine. The owner's manual is pretty broad in what it recommends. So while the TDT may not meet the A3/B3 (haven't actually checked this lately), it meets the SL/SM requirement and is the correct viscosity grade. UOA results are very good as well.

jeff

Originally Posted By: greenjp
FWIW I use the TDT in my 2003 Saab 9-5 Aero, 2.3 turbo. Different engine. The owner's manual is pretty broad in what it recommends. So while the TDT may not meet the A3/B3 (haven't actually checked this lately), it meets the SL/SM requirement and is the correct viscosity grade. UOA results are very good as well.

jeff

Yeah... the TDT 5w-40 has the sheer spec, and the viscosity cSt bumbers look great. But, I've read that some of the other TDT oils that meet other truck ACEA specs like E3 or E4 have too much ash in them for gasoline engine use. I don't know enought about the science to know if ACEA E7 oils would have the same issues or be fine (?).

One thing that bugs me is why M1 doesn't make a 5w-30 or 40 that does meet ACEA A3/B3. Seems like it would be a gimme for them... and if the TDT met the standard then they would certainly sell it that way, no?

5W-40 TDT is a superb oil and the UOA results universally back that up.

The ZDDP levels are not that high. UOA's and VOA's show it between 1000 and 1200 PPM. The newer stuff "may" be the 1000PPM stuff (not sure).

Remember that the ZDDP levels mandated by the government are clearly not proven to poison the cats. In fact the ZDDP/cat life studies are 100% inconclusive. So, go ahead and use the TDT and know that you are using one of the finest oils.

Many users are finding half the wear rate (UOA results) vs. other oils.

Like others have said, don't look past the M1 0w-40 because of the 0w. It's a fine product with many endorsements from high end manufacturers. It meets A3/B3 and will work just fine.

Out curiosity, what is it about the 0w that turns you off? After all, it is still a 40 grade oil at temp and all oils are too thick until the reach temp anyways.

I'm another M1 0w40 user in a hot climate. I actually just switched back to it after finding some good deals to stock up for a couple of years. No problems to report even in a 5.7 V8 in 110 degree heat.

I'd use the M1 0W-40 myself all year 'round, unless you can get a killer deal on the M1 5W-40.
If you want a good-value 5W-40, try T6.
Also, if you have either Big Lots or Ollie's in your area, you might find QS 5W-40 for 3.99/qt, which would also suit your application.

Originally Posted By: The_Eric
Like others have said, don't look past the M1 0w-40 because of the 0w. It's a fine product with many endorsements from high end manufacturers. It meets A3/B3 and will work just fine.

Out curiosity, what is it about the 0w that turns you off? After all, it is still a 40 grade oil at temp and all oils are too thick until the reach temp anyways.

Yeah.... I thought of that. Even a 0W probably has plenty of pressure at startup when cold. So, my concerns about being down at a 0W when starting are probably unfounded. Still, I keep visualizing super thin oil in my bearings at startup and it makes me cring. Of course, if it gets there sooner, maybe it's better :)

So, my concerns about being down at a 0W when starting are probably unfounded.

Not probably, but certainly. The oil is not "super thin" at startup. Just the opposite -it's fairly thick. It's only "thin" at operating temperature.

For your application, M1 0w-40 is the ticket.

If you insist on 5w-40, then Castrol Syntec mentioned previously is fairly easy to find at AutoZone, AdvanceAuto, etc.

Mobil 1 HM 10w-30 is not SN rated rather SL , 10w-40 is SN though. Both are A3 rated. I use Mobil 1 HM 5w-30 and its the smoothest running oil Ive ever used in my Durango.

Originally Posted By: Thax

Mobil 1 HM 10w-30 is not SN rated rather SL , 10w-40 is SN though. Both are A3 rated.

Isn't that exactly what he wrote?
smile.gif

Still, I keep visualizing super thin oil in my bearings at startup and it makes me cring. Of course, if it gets there sooner, maybe it's better :)

Don't visualize it that way. Even a 0w oil will have much higher viscosity at startup than a 5w oil will have at operating temperature. All oils have progressively lower viscosity as temperature increases.

M1 0w40 has an MRV (low temperature pumpability) of 31,000 cP at -40C, and an HTHS of 3.8 cP at 150C. This is a viscosity decrease by a factor of 3875 over the 190C temperature change.

It's a 2003. you don't need an oil that meets a specific performance level beyond A3, really. I'd use Rotella T6 5W-40, and call it a day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back