>friction modifiers: aid in wear protection and provide fuel economy
>benefits
>viscosity index improvers: less required in Mobil 1, among the most
>shear-stable available
>seal-swell agents: enhance compatibility with engine seals in all
engines
>
>Because Mobil 1's high performance components are less likely to break

>down, Mobil 1 is engineered to protect your engine longer.
>
>MJRoe
>Technical Support Engineer

I recived this awhile ago and it cought my attention how this guy states they don't use additive packages. Whats the difference?? Base oil + additives is what comprises an oil right?

I've also been told, through my secret CIA sources
grin.gif
) that when we see a UOA of Mobil 1 SS and see Moly and Boron that they are not actually the typical moly and boron. Aparently Mobbil spent a lot of money developing the SS technology through R&D in racing engines and it is very advanced.
rolleyes.gif

[ September 15, 2003, 05:16 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

OK, I did a search and found nothing that penetrated the fog...what exactly is SuperSyn?...not the whole package, just the anti-wear piece. In fact, I thought SuperSyn was the name for the entire formulation, but from what Buster has posted, it looks like it is an AW "ingredient."

ps, prior to the advent of Mobil 1 SuperSyn, Mobil had a line of proprietary high viscosity and high VI PAOs that were marketed under the trademark "SuperSyn." (They still sell these PAOs under that name, BTW.)

Mobil 1 "SuperSyn" was the first formulation of Mobil 1 to use these proprietary PAOs. As to whether their use is the sole reason for using "SuperSyn" to describe the new formulation, that is open for debate. The connection seems inescapable, however. Nevertheless, it could be that when it comes to Mobil 1, "SuperSyn" denotes the high vis PAO as well as the moly, boron, and calcium overbase additives. Those things together would seem to be Mobil 1's "secret weapon" when it comes to anti-wear claims.

[ September 15, 2003, 06:06 PM: Message edited by: G-Man II ]

quote:

Mobil 1's "secret weapon" when it comes to anti-wear claims

And whether it's proving to be better or not, it does seem to be a more advanced aproach then some other syn lubes and especially the oldy trisynthetic. If most UOA's are showing near VOA levels or Moly and Boron/Calcium, that indicates it is not being used correct?

quote:

Originally posted by buster:

quote:

Mobil 1's "secret weapon" when it comes to anti-wear claims

And whether it's proving to be better or not, it does seem to be a more advanced aproach then some other syn lubes and especially the oldy trisynthetic. If most UOA's are showing near VOA levels or Moly and Boron/Calcium, that indicates it is not being used correct?

I don't think moly "uptake" is what Mobil is counting on for AW. The calcium overbasing seems to be the formulation they have settled on for the "ultimate" in AW protection. The moly and boron are part of the mix, but I think the overbasing is now putting the "super" in SuperSyn.

Hopefully, MolaKule will jump in here and offer his learned opinion about this.

Firstly, all additive packages are proprietary, and they ARE using additives, some conventional, and some newly developed ashless (non-metallic) additives. It's the additive package that "enhances" the base oil for the total package.

They have blended various PAO viscosity (mainly 4, 40, and 100 cST) base oils, together with internally developed esters, and proprietary additive packages, to make the SuperSyn. Using a high shear stable base oil, one needs only about 1.5% to 3% VII to extend the VI range, as compared to about 7% to 10% for other oils, especially the "conventional" oils.

In my view, the SuperSyn is the whole schmear; a technology "set."

For example, the Tri-Syn technology "set" was based upon on a couple of PAO viscosities and TMP and cocoanut oil esters with the proper additives, which proved rather expensive.

[ September 15, 2003, 08:28 PM: Message edited by: MolaKule ]

We are lucky we have someone as knowledgable as Molekule. Where else can you get this kind of information? No where. Your the man kule!
cheers.gif

Kule, would you say this is a well built oil for your $$ or could they have done more? The question always comes up that it's an OTC oil which makes sense that cost is obviously a limitation. I'm thinking API restrictions force Mobil to work in other ways???
dunno.gif

[ September 15, 2003, 09:42 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

quote:

Originally posted by MolaKule:
They have blended various PAO viscosity (mainly 4, 40, and 100 cST)

Can't find the link now-but I seem to recall that SuperSyn PAO's were very very high viscosity like above 1000 cSt.
dunno.gif

bowdown.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Al:

quote:

They have blended various PAO viscosity (mainly 4, 40, and 100 cST)

Can't find the link now-but I seem to recall that SuperSyn PAO's were very very high viscosity like above 1000 cSt.
dunno.gif

bowdown.gif

SuperSyn PAOs were offered in vis ranging from 150 to 1000 cSt.

NEWSFLASH: ExxonMobil has renamed the entire line of PAOs. SuperSyn is now called "SpectraSyn Ultra" and their conventional PAO is "SpectraSyn."

ExxonMobil SpectraSyn PAO

[ September 15, 2003, 10:55 PM: Message edited by: G-Man II ]

From a product sheet dated 1997, could this be it?

481119-00 MOBIL 1 FORMULA 5W-30

Ingredient Name: BUTYL BENZYL PHTHALATE, BBP, BENZYL BUTYL PHTHALATE 1,2-BENZENEDICARBOXYLIC ACID, BUTYL PHENYLMETHYL ESTER

quote:

Originally posted by Bob Woods:
From a product sheet dated 1997, could this be it?

481119-00 MOBIL 1 FORMULA 5W-30

Ingredient Name: BUTYL BENZYL PHTHALATE, BBP, BENZYL BUTYL PHTHALATE 1,2-BENZENEDICARBOXYLIC ACID, BUTYL PHENYLMETHYL ESTER

Could this be what?

quote:

Firstly, all additive packages are proprietary, and they ARE using additives, some conventional, and some newly developed ashless (non-metallic) additives. It's the additive package that "enhances" the base oil for the total package.

I thought that what Mobil was implying that most group I oils are really canned (Already API approved) additive packages which can be modified slightly without having to go through API testing again. Hence all group 1 oils are very similar with respect to additive packages.

quote:

And to think Amsoil the first in synthetics using Mobil base oils ,what a world.

Thats another question I had, is Amsoil using Mobil's PAO? Why the rename? I wonder if merging with Exxon was a good thing for Mobil? I'm full of questions.
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back