M1 Severe Service Test

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: turtlevette
I can't see the video. Did they go 100k miles without changing the oil?

I'd like to see that.

Here's what they used and did:

GM 3.5L V6
25,000 mile drains
3rd Gear
1-2 qts low [at times]
Visual inspection of parts.

Well, at least its a real test. We all know M1 is known for quality, weather that quality is better then everyone else we do not know.
But at least in Mobile 1 marketing they produce SOMETHING to back it up.
Amsoil also at least produces something to back up their statements about their oil.

So lets not knock companies for producing some kind of test to back up what they are promoting.

90% or more of the oil used in engines by anyone in this forum is selected based on nothing more then empty words from the marketing departments of the oil they are buying, never mind flawed thinking on our own UOA reports, lets give some credit to the companies that do produce a test OR release industry standard test results to back it up because it is better then the methods we use in this forum to select an oil.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: alarmguy
Well, at least its a real test. We all know M1 is known for quality, weather that quality is better then everyone else we do not know.
But at least in Mobile 1 marketing they produce SOMETHING to back it up.
Amsoil also at least produces something to back up their statements about their oil.

So lets not knock companies for producing some kind of test to back up what they are promoting.

90% or more of the oil used in engines by anyone in this forum is selected based on nothing more then empty words from the marketing departments of the oil they are buying, never mind flawed thinking on our own UOA reports, lets give some credit to the companies that do produce a test OR release industry standard test results to back it up because it is better then the methods we use in this forum to select an oil.

When it comes to advertising and marketing Mobil is a class act. In my opinion they are miles ahead of their competition including the boutique oils when it comes to advertising and marketing of their products.

Yes, this test that Mobil ran is not showing the severe service of cold starts, stop and go wear and tear, which would put the oil's ability to protect against that kind of wear to the test. Cold starts and short trips would cause the oil to have to deal more fuel dilution as well. So, this is one type or form of severe service.

Another form of severe service would be high heat and high loads, which tests the thermal and oxidation stability of the oil.
I like the fact that Mobil ran the test and posted the results. They have confidence in their product. They know it is robust enough to handle extended drains. And high load conditions.
What other readily available oil that you can walk into almost every store and purchase is capable of being run for 25,000 miles? Castrol Edge (when it first came out) was saying it could be used for up to 15,000 miles (excluding severe service).
That's about the only one I can think of. When Ultra was first introduced, Pennzoil recommended 4 months or 4,000 miles for oil change intervals. Valvoline used to recommend changing their Synpower oil at 3 months or 3,000 miles. This was their full synthetic oil, and they didn't recommend extended drain intervals.

Mobil not only ran the oil to 25,000 miles, but it was run in third gear, and 1-2 quarts low on oil.

I would be curious if other oil makers ran this test, what the results would be? I don't think some of the other oils could make it to 25,000 miles fully topped off (the oil makers don't formulate and blend them for that). But, run them 1-2 quarts low and see what the results are.

Amsoil seems to be about the only other one willing to run torture tests on their oils and publish the results

Last edited:
Your top tier oils are all going to perform similarly whether it's Pennzoil/Catrol/Mobil 1 etc.

I have been a Mobil 1 fan mainly due to the quality consistency for over 40 years and as mentioned above, due to the fact their marketing is a class act compared to the others. They don't engage in gimmicks and other nonsense many of the others do. Just brows their website and you'll see a difference. Mobil 1 is always going to be among the best synthetics on the market.

Sure there are other tests that could demonstrate severe conditions. This one is still a good one, and at least it's based on "actual engine testing" and "tear downs."

Originally Posted By: wrf01a
How about this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_axZkEUkgw

Also Mobil 1 tested their oil in Las Vegas with Lucky Cab Company. It does not get more severe than that...

Sure it does. Las Vegas does not get that cold. Cabs idle a lot but mostly run whole shifts w/o cooling and restarts. Yeah, it's short trips, but not from a cold engine...

The oil is up to temp and in the normal operating zone, for a gazzilion miles...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Ed_Flecko
I notice he says "looks like", "looks like", etc., etc. I don't care about what it "looks like" after you've cleaned all of the parts.

Why not measure the parts, clearances, etc. and compare those to new specs and then let me be the judge of how well the oil did?

Ed

Boom.

M1 is good stuff, but....without measurements that video is worthless.

These videos are missing comparisons to other competitor's products and documented physical teardowns before and after to quantify wear.
Why?
Consumer's reports did a tear down of several motors used in New York taxi service many years ago.
Who has more money to pay for this kind of test, Exxon Mobil or Consumers?
There is a reason Mobil decided not to measure the wear and not compare their products to a close competitor.
All I take from these videos, is Mobil 1 is no better than any other mainstream synthetic oil. If it was, they would show it.

What's interesting for me is for the 38 years I have used M1 oils, my engines have mirrored their test.

Originally Posted By: tig1
What's interesting for me is for the 38 years I have used M1 oils, my engines have mirrored their test.

Same here

Only time I tend to pull down one of my engines is when I'm replacing a short block, or repairing some other damage.

Having not torn down any of my serviceable engines for a look-see, I can't say whether my results mirror this test or not.

Head swap and the crosshatch is still there, or a cam swap and the cam and lifters looking spot on is as far as I've gone.

Some pics of your teardowns would be good for verification.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back