M1 OW-40 + M1 HM 10W-40

Status
Not open for further replies.
My search for a good yet affordable oil for my new 3.8 in my SC is still on. I'm really leaning away from diesel oils because of all the detergents. My engine just doesn't need all that detergent and I believe their is a reason very high performance oils don't have gobs of detergent.

I'm really liking what I read about Mobil 1 OW-40, but its a little bit of a thinner 40 weight and it tends to shear. Mobil 1 HM 10W-40 also looks like a good oil but I want something a little thinner at cold and I'm not keen on all the seal conditioners.

It has a 5 quart sump, I was thinking about doing 4 quarts of OW-40 and 1 quart of the 10W-40 to thicken it a little and maybe make it a little more resistant to shearing. Thoughts on how this would work?

You must have a reason for your fear of detergents, but HDEOs also have more good additives than regular oils.
HDEOs are not known for problems ensuing from detergency levels.

Why not use all Mobil1 10w30 High Mileage if you think the 10w40 HM is too thick? The 10w30 HM can be bought for $22/5L jug whereas the 0w40 is not available in 5L jugs and cost over $7/L. The 10w30 HM looks pretty similar to 0w40 from Mobil1 website.

I think the two oils are very dissimilar to be mixing. Do you need or want to run the same oil year round? You should have no cold flow concern Spring > Fall. What is Ford rec on oil weight for this engine? If 10w-30 I would run the 0w-40 or M1 HM 10w-30 year round. The 10w-30 should be supremely stable.

I will probably end up running the same oil year round. I just do not put many miles on the car 5000-7000 a year. So the oil choice I make has to work all year round. Ford spec'd a 5w-30 but I just had the engine rebuilt and he set the clearances for 40 weight. I can also verify it wants a 40 weight judging by hot oil pressure that people like to see in this engine. The break-in oil was 10w-30 and when it was fully hot the pressure was a touch low at idle. M1 10W-30 is still a 30 weight at the end of the day. Maybe the 4 quarts of OW-40 plus one quart of the 50 weight would work better?

Also Autozone has a deal on Mobil 1 right now, a 5qt+ jug or 5 single quarts plus a M1 filter for 29.99. I'm sure they will let me mix and match different quarts. So the price of the different Mobil products shouldn't be a concern.

I'll asume crank main and rod clearances are stock. Why the low idle pressure? Is low under 15PSIG at 800rpm? What is piston to wall with the wiseco? This are not affected by pressurised oiling per se - more at film strength. You may wish to get some redline 10w-30. OTW M1 R4T superbikle racing oil would be my first exxon-mobil product choice - and its a real 100% syn base the, 0w-40 is not, though its a clean oil and a good power maker.

I assumed the rod clearances are a little larger than stock because he said the clearances are set up for a 40 weight now. He originally told me the stock motor has very tight clearances for 5w-30. I do know the Wiseco pistons have a little bit higher piston to wall clearance just for the fact they are forged. I don't know the exact number.

I also was looking at that M1 R4T 10W-40 oil. Is there anywhere I can buy it locally for an affordable price though?

Hmm thats a little on the pricey side. And it won't be on sale for a while now. I'm thinking maybe just running straight OW-40 and see how it works. I really wish I could find Kendall GT-1 Full Synthetic 5w-40 European formula. No one around here sells it, maybe if I call Kendall they could help me out. I really wish more companies made a 5W-40 synthetic. I just don't know if I'm comfortable with running RTS T6 in it.

Originally Posted By: lanteau
Hmm thats a little on the pricey side. And it won't be on sale for a while now. I'm thinking maybe just running straight OW-40 and see how it works. I really wish I could find Kendall GT-1 Full Synthetic 5w-40 European formula. No one around here sells it, maybe if I call Kendall they could help me out. I really wish more companies made a 5W-40 synthetic. I just don't know if I'm comfortable with running RTS T6 in it.

Castrol, Mobil, Shell, LubroMoly, Fuchs, ELF/Total, Pentosin, Amsoil, Redline, Royal Purple, Valvoline, Pennzoil, Chevron.

Okay let me rephrase that. A synthetic PCMO that I can buy locally for a reasonable price. That narrows that list to only Castrol. I'm not a Castrol fan.

Okay let me rephrase that. A synthetic PCMO that I can buy locally for a reasonable price. That narrows that list to only Castrol. I'm not a Castrol fan.

Syntec 5w40 is a good oil, but if you don't like Castrol, the choices are limited.

You could use 0w40 in lieu of 5w40. Mobil has an excellent 0w40 oil.

I don't like how it seems very little is known about Castrol. Their data sheets are limited in the information that they provide. I'm highly considering the Mobil OW-40 I just don't like how it thins out. Or maybe I'll just overcome my fear of HDEO and use the T6.

I don't like how it seems very little is known about Castrol. Their data sheets are limited in the information that they provide. I'm highly considering the Mobil OW-40 I just don't like how it thins out. Or maybe I'll just overcome my fear of HDEO and use the T6.

There is no need to fear T6, it meets API SM.

http://www.shell.com/home/Framework?site.../t6_detail.html

My search for a good yet affordable oil for my new 3.8 in my SC is still on. I'm really leaning away from diesel oils because of all the detergents. My engine just doesn't need all that detergent and I believe their is a reason very high performance oils don't have gobs of detergent.

The problem with diesel oils has nothing to do with "detergents".

Diesel oils have "dispersants". In the Mobil 1 line-up its diesel version has something which shows up as magnesium in an elemental analysis. Theoretically this can cause spark plug fouling, although I personally have never seen it.

I don't think you need a X-40 motor oil.

But if you want one, and have an interest in Mobil 1, take a look at the 10W-40 motorcycle oil, Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10W-40.

Very high ZDDP level, polar, shear resistant.

Alright. Since since my pressure was barely under the recommended pressure for my engine with the 10W-30. I feel I want a thinner 40 weight. I currently feel that Mobil 1 0W-40 and M1 4T 10W-40 or T6 5W-40 would fit the job pretty well. I really like the specs the 10W-40 4T motorcycle oil (-54 pour point). But at $9.59 a quart that is pretty pricey. Anywhere its available cheaper? What kind of OCIs would these oils hold up to? I put maybe 7000 miles a year on the car, mixed city and highway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back