M1 Oil Color

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by cweed:
yup, all of the SS oils are dark, as is Redline which has lots of moly in it.

cweed: do you know approx how much moly is in redline. I am thinking that it may be better (used as an oil additive) than Maxlife Engine Protector for moly.

quote:

Originally posted by Pablo:
offtopic.gif
They both had me thinking about beer. Why is that?

Yum...

Color is so irrelevant with oil, I don't know how it got to be an issue. Airheads often tell me, I need an engine flush because my oil is dark (must be dirty).
lol.gif

Guess we should just dye it all green.
grin.gif

Yep, it's probably the Moly. It makes sense to use dyes also to differentiate products.

I remember the old Equilon Havoline looked like honey fresh out of the bottle, long after it was shot even in my truck.

quote:

Originally posted by macaddict:

quote:

Originally posted by crossbow:
The glass on the right suspiciously looks like guiness.

I guess you don't drink Guiness that often. Guiness is way darker than that.
cheers.gif

And It would have a head on it.
I went to Dublin several years ago and was able to take a tour of St. James gate. It is really neat seeing how Guiness is made. The tour ended up where we could sample some of the finished product. It was wonderful to get really fresh Guiness. I also went to Amsterdam and toured the Heiniken Brewery. They let us drink for free for 45 minutes.
cheers.gif

quote:

Originally posted by macaddict:

quote:

Originally posted by crossbow:
The glass on the right suspiciously looks like guiness.

I guess you don't drink Guiness that often. Guiness is way darker than that.
cheers.gif

And It would have a head on it.
I went to Dublin several years ago and was able to take a tour of St. James gate. It is really neat seeing how Guiness is made. The tour ended up where we could sample some of the finished product. It was wonderful to get really fresh Guiness. I also went to Amsterdam and toured the Heiniken Brewery. They let us drink for free for 45 minutes.
cheers.gif
fruit.gif

After having enough beers I probably wouldnt even taste the difference if you gave me some Supersyn
grin.gif
And if you gave me some GC, i'd think its St. Patricks day and they are serving green beer hehe.

TallPaul: Pablo already answered your question, but to add, depends on the viscosity, I believe their 5w-30 has around 570 and their 10w-30 has 610, while the 5w-40 has 700! they are all very high. I honestly don't think you need this much moly in a street oil, but I guess for racing it would be beneficial, but then Redline is aimed more toward the racing types.

quote:

I honestly don't think you need this much moly in a street oil, but I guess for racing it would be beneficial, but then Redline is aimed more toward the racing types.

I am thinking of running one quart of Redline with 5 quarts of the 50 cent Citgo Superguard 10w40 I just bought at Dollar General. Total $10.50 for oil for the next OCI is less than I normally pay for Valvoline Durablend or Maxlife. The mix could be interesting. Can't hurt, may help. If I were going to run pure synthetic, probably woudl be M1 due to price.

You may want to send a sample to Terry to check it out. It may be a good blend. If you are doing it mostly for the moly, why not try Schaeffer's Supreme 7000, its a synth blend with moly, it is very highly regarded and should work as well if not better than M1 and cheaper since you get free shipping and wholesale prices on orders over $250....

quote:

You may want to send a sample to Terry to check it out. It may be a good blend. If you are doing it mostly for the moly, why not try Schaeffer's Supreme 7000, its a synth blend with moly, it is very highly regarded and should work as well if not better than M1 and cheaper since you get free shipping and wholesale prices on orders over $250....

offtopic.gif
I'm the culprit! But to finish:

How much is the cost for Terry to analyze?

Actually I was not that interested in the moly (which the Citgo apparently already has) as getting a blend with the ester Group 5 in it.

May have to try the Schaeffers someday. Thanks

I really noticed the MaxLife Synthetic we've been using was darker than what I am used to seeing. That has a high ppm of moly, so that may explain. If one were to use M1 5W-30 for a street/cruising application, would adding a qt of MaxLife synthetic, Red Line or the MaxLife Engine Protectant be best to increase moly and have a good home brew? Thanks!!

quote:

Originally posted by TallPaul:

quote:

offtopic.gif
I'm the culprit! But to finish:

How much is the cost for Terry to analyze?

If you go through Blackstone and get the Terry Dyson package, it's $35. Or if you use another lab and just want Terry to interpret the results for you, it's $20.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/terry.html

Why a darker tint to the supersyn 10W-30 (right)? I would expect M1 5W-40 T/SUV (left), with higher levels of detergent adds, to have a darker color.

-

Because the 10w30 has moly in it. The 5w40 doesn't.

Typically, oils with moly are darker.

quote:

You can really see the difference moly makes in the Pennzoil PureBase 5w20, which has ~200ppm of moly and the Pennzoil Synthetic 5w20, which has ~40ppm. The PureBase 5w20 is VERY DARK.

Blue,
You mamma or your wife is gonna kick your arse now for using her glasses to put oil into!
twak.gif
Ask me how I know......I used my wife's tea pitcher!
nono.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back