M1 Noise Official Tally

Status
Not open for further replies.
2006 Lexus ES330
changed oil at 4000 miles to M1EP 5w30
currently at 8300 miles.
car is quieter with mobil 1 than with factory fill which people speculate to be Mobil Clean. I guess this thread validates my finding of Mobil 1 to be quieter. Next oil change is with Redline so will see what kinda difference if any in noise.

M1 has always darkened faster in my cars and motorcycles, but that may be a good thing?
It's quiet, but maybe it also cleans better?
Dunno - never has caused a problem that I know of.

2006 Scion tC
1998 Honda VTR1000
2001 RC51

2001 SAAB 9-5 2.3l turbo
87887 miles
2 qts M1 5W30 SM
2 qts M1 15W50 SL
1 pint of SLOB

No more noise than previous fill of 5W50 Syntec and SLOB.

On my previous SAAB (1997 900 SE turbo) I never ran anything but M1 (mainly 10W30) so I have nothing to compare to....

On my 2002 Honda CR-V, M1 5W20, 0W20, and 5W30 all sounded the same and quieter than dino. I switched to dino at about 58k miles.

I have had 2 toyota tundras w/ 4.7l V8 engines that ran on M1 most of their life. Both of them sounded like they needed valve adjustments on M1. I ran it in the first one for over 200K. I didn't notice the noise so much myself, but if my wife was driving it and I was near her in traffic I would be embarrassed that the truck made so much clatter. In the end I attributed it to age. On the first truck I changed the oil to a HDEO before I sold it. After that all you could hear was injector noise and an occasional rythmic ticking that would come and go.

The second tundra I ran M1 it's whole life. I traded it in, no one commented about the noise, but it made a lot of noise.

My wife and I now both have cars with Nissan VQ's. Hers is an '00 maxima. It is pretty quiet running M1 10w30. Mine is an '06 G35 6speed. Mine was quiet when delivered. I changed the oil twice with valvoline 10w30. I then changed the oil to M1 10w30 EP. I don't know when it happened, but now when I go through drive through windows it sounds like my engine is out of oil. It may or may not be related to M1 - it could just be that it has loosened up. I do abuse it regularly, and a lot of the time I am pulling a trailer with it - but it makes a lot of noise for having 20K. This is in addition to all the clutch/flywheel noise this combo makes.

I believe in the protection that M1 provides, although I have seen evidence in racing engines of cylinder wall scuffing - I don't think that is an issue on the street. And it is nice to not have to change it so often.

There's been very few responses in this thread claiming more engine noise with Mobil 1 or Mobil 1 EP than with other oils. This surprises me, in view of the long-standing numerous claims on here of noise with those oils. Perhaps a lot of those who formerly claimed that the Mobil syns caused noise have changed their minds.

I also think that most claims of noise with the Mobil syns are bunk, just as I think that most claims that the engine runs smoother, or you get increased acceleration, with a given oil, are objective, seat-of-the-pants, bunk.

I'll bet that you can take ANY dino or syn oil made by any oil company and find people that claim that it causes engine noise versus other oils. If so, it means that: (1) most of those claims are bunk; or (2) increased noise is a possibility with any oil, not just the Mobil syns, so you can't criticize the Mobil syns; or (3) both of the above.

quote:

Originally posted by jmacmaster:
What? No responses to my last post? Its been a number of hours since that last post of mine. Where have all the Mobil syn causes noise bashers gone?

Apparently no one really cares about your last post. I haven't seen any Mobil 1 supporters jump in either.

My gawd - we're all alone here. Everyone has fled !

Last time I tried it M1 0W40 was noisier than GC 0W30. This is in a '01 BMW 530i.
Aren't the M1 UOA's coming back with higher wear numbers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back