M1 Motorcycle vs. M1 auto...

Status
Not open for further replies.
A friend just asked if I wanted a case of M1 MX4T motorcycle oil, a 10W40 motorcycle oil. He sold his bike this fall, and thought I could use it in my car...for FREE!!!

What makes the motorcycle formula different from the car formula...I know bikes tend to run the same oil thru both engine and tranny so shear resistance is important; but would that not be good in cars, too? Also, the bike oils have no mention of anything API, so might the add. pack. be more robust?

I have no idea...any thoughts???
confused.gif

PS - I think he said the oil was $10.00 liter Cdn
M1 Auto is about $7.00 Cdn...???

It's the friction modifiers that make it different. The bike oil don't have any to speak of do to wet clutches. FOR FREE!!! Use it by all means! But if you don't want it I'll take it.
smile.gif

Go for it, it's good stuff.

All i know is Mobil 1 MXT, or any of their motorcycle oils, Do not contain moly because of the wet clutch. I use it in my CBR 954RR. Never really thought about using it in a car though, its VERY expensive ,something like 55.00 for 6qts if I remember correctly.

quote:

Originally posted by geeeman:
What makes the motorcycle formula different from the car formula...

There is no significant difference between Mobil 1 15w50 "red cap" and MX4T 10w40, except for the weight (15w50 versus 10w40).

Both have a beefy additive package with high ZDDP levels, neither has energy conserving additives, both resist shear very well, and both have very low moly levels.

It certainly won't hurt to use Mx4t especially since it's free. But after you use up your free supply you might as well switch to red cap and save some money.

I use mobil 1 red cap and mx4t in my 929 with very similar results as stated above.

I miss my 929 already, poor baby, i haaaate winter!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back