M1 mixing to commence

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got the m1 15w-50 ready to go with the M1 5W-30.

My goal is to get something SLIGHTLY thicker than 5W-30 but still remain available through COTS products (M1). As everyone knows, M1 5W-30 is on the thin side of a 5W-30 oil.

I've mixed M1 15W-50 with 10W-30 with some good results, i needed something slightly thicker than 10W-30....

I have been mixing the M1 10-30 w/ 15-50 as well. Have been doing this for 2 years with good results

Why not just try Mobil 1 0W-40?? It just might get better gas mileage than the brew.

It might be an alternative to GC and has the starburst.

In the past I was mixing 5W30 and 15W50 50/50 and it worked well in my Jeep. The guys at Mobil told me I could mix the M1 oils as much as my heart desired and it would not hurt a thing.

quote:

Originally posted by ekpolk:
Interesting. I was considering doing exactly this myself. From my experimentation over the last year, I have tentatively concluded that my Toyota V-6 seems to be the "happiest" with a thick-ish 30 wt oil (although my present experience with GC 0w-30 has been puzzlingly inconsistent with prior indications). M-1 in both 5w-30 and 10w-30 seems, by subjective performance and Mobil's own data, to be a relatively thin 30. Not bad, but esp in 5w form, it seems to result in a slightly louder engine than the Amsoil 5w-30 which is thicker. I was thinking that using 4 qts of M-1 5w-30 and one qt of 15w-50 might just make the M-1 thick enough and raise its HT/HS enough to achieve the effect Amsoil does naturally.

An older thread on BITOG stated that mixing vis grades results in an indeterminate grade soup. Apparently, you can't just do the math and determine what you've got by the averages. Experts, what do you think?

Ever consider trying the M1 0W-40?? It looks like a pretty good balance for a normal oci in a non-turbo.

50/50 blend of either 5W30 0r 10W30 with 15W50! The 50/50 blend works best. Just adding 1 bottle of 15W50 is not as effective as 50/50.

When I did this blends were hard to come by and I was mixing M1 with dino oil. I am thinking that with the advent of good 5W40's I would use a 5W40 instead of mixing! I no longer mix dino and sunthetic and do not usualy mix weightrs either unless I am useing up odd quarts of oil.

[ May 15, 2004, 05:32 PM: Message edited by: JohnBrowning ]

Just curious, for those that have been mixing for years - what type of engines did you work on?

I'm using it in a Ford 4.6L SOHC V8... the tolerances aren't as loose as the OHV V8s.

It still seems to me that a fully formulated 5W-40 like Mobil-1 SUV makes more sense than does coming up with one's own home-brew mixes.

John

quote:

Originally posted by haley10:
Ever consider trying the M1 0W-40?? It looks like a pretty good balance for a normal oci in a non-turbo.

I'd thought abuout trying it, possibly. On the other hand, if (and that's a substantial "if") the viscosities average out arithmetically, then the soup I was considering would only go up to a "34 wt", not all the way to 40. Although I don't think it would do any damage, I'm wondering if other performance penalties will begin to show themselves when I get to 40 wt thickness.

I'm using a 50/50 mix of Mobil 1 0w-20 and 0w-40. I live in So Cal and can no longer find M1 0w-30.

So I thought I would take Mobil's 2 best oils and create my very own SUPER OIL!
grin.gif

So far, so good. I will run this batch out and then do a UOA after the next batch.

Look on the bright side, now my oil sort of meets almost every spec on the planet............Sort of
wink.gif

Darryl

quote:

Why not just run 10W-30 or 5W-40 if you want something one or two steps thicker than 5W-30?

M1's 10W-30 and 5W-30 are very similar and still kinda light on the 30 side.

Amsoil's 10W-30 has specs similar to the theoretical 5W-30/15W-50 mix.

Interesting. I was considering doing exactly this myself. From my experimentation over the last year, I have tentatively concluded that my Toyota V-6 seems to be the "happiest" with a thick-ish 30 wt oil (although my present experience with GC 0w-30 has been puzzlingly inconsistent with prior indications). M-1 in both 5w-30 and 10w-30 seems, by subjective performance and Mobil's own data, to be a relatively thin 30. Not bad, but esp in 5w form, it seems to result in a slightly louder engine than the Amsoil 5w-30 which is thicker. I was thinking that using 4 qts of M-1 5w-30 and one qt of 15w-50 might just make the M-1 thick enough and raise its HT/HS enough to achieve the effect Amsoil does naturally.

An older thread on BITOG stated that mixing vis grades results in an indeterminate grade soup. Apparently, you can't just do the math and determine what you've got by the averages. Experts, what do you think?

quote:

I'm wondering if other performance penalties will begin to show themselves when I get to 40 wt thickness.

ekpolk: Their 0w-40 is a thin 40 weight. I prefer it over the 20 and 30 weights I've tried in my DOHC Taurus; this is based on sound and feel only no UOAs.

Doesn't 0W-40 shear out too quickly?

Also I believe its viscosity at 40C is much higher than that of the 10W-30 and 5W-30 - no good for Michigan winters.

5W-40 SUV is not available anywhere here, so that's not an option for me.

This reply is a little off but I didn't want to make a new topic.

When I mixed a qt of M1 5w30 with the TropArctic 10w30, the M1 was noticably thicker. TA is watery.

Now I think that TropArctic would be a good Dakota/Minnesota/Michigan dino oil.

Which M1 or QS syn is thin when it's cold, and holds 30-35 grade at normal operating temp?

I mix 6 qts M1 10/30 with 4 qts M1 15/50 in my Xj12 (6 liter V12).

I do not run the engine hard, however, if I did, I would bias the mix more toward the 15/50.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back