M1, K&N and Champion filters similarities

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi bitog.
I'm sharing my observation without any conclusions

I was doing an oil change on my Kia, M1-104A off and K&N HP1004 on.
And here I noticed an interesting detail - my K&N filter base plate looked exactly like a new M1-104A posted by Wemay some time ago (picture 1, left filter, all rights belong to wemay). My old M1-104A filter was the same as the right filter on the same photo.
After I came home, I went to Amazon to see real world K&N HP-1004 pictures of older models (picture 2, courtesy of some Amazon user). The bottom filter looks exactly like M1-104A that I just took off my car, with the Y letter on the base plate. The upper K&N filter tho looked even more familiar, it's just the same as Champion COS3593A with "20" on it's baseplate, and the amazon review talks about the fact this K&N is made in Mexico (just like cos3593a on picture 3).

Not sure if that means or prove anything, but we had some discussions if Champion = Champ labs and it seems like these 3 brands are being produced by Champ lab and [maybe] use the same components.

m1.jpg

Screenshot 2019-05-07 15.59.08.png

champion.jpeg

Last edited:
Mobil 1 and (some) K&N filters are made by Champ, so no surprise there, they make other filters as well (Supertech for one).

Filtering media is different between some of them (you can feel/see a difference) as well as the ADV material, but do share many components (bypass components, end caps, springs, etc.

They are made by the same company all around. You have to go to the Germans or to NipponDenson to get something different.

K&N now back from thier off shore manufactured adventures and being made by Champ Labs US now. A good thing for them imo. The Federal Mogul/Champion Mexico filters, while they show some similarities to Champ Labs US, differences like recessed dome bypass there too. M1, Champ Labs US made.

Top pic looks like new (left) Champ made 9688/3593a design with wider sealing gasket versus older one which used the unique round sealing gasket.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back