M1 HM vs. Valv. HM semi-syn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know this isn't a direct comparison since the valvoline is a semi-synthetic, but I've tryed and tryed, and can't find the full synthetic stuff anywhere around my area. Anyways, if you guys had to choose, which one would it be? I've heard guys rave about the Valvoline stuff on here for a long time, but the M1 looks pretty stout from what I've seen, and its seems to be gaining popularity around here. Also, I know i'm getting specific here, but does anyone know the HTST of the M1 HM 5w-30? They list it for the other 2 grades, but theres no data sheets on the 5w-30.

Originally Posted By: afoulk
, but I've tryed and tryed, and can't find the full synthetic stuff anywhere around my area. .

I hear you! I could not find it for my life, and I tried about 10 different places (by phone). M1, understandably, is the better oil due to it being a full syn, vs. 30% for VML. VML will have a better formula for older engines, and those with leaks. Just two different animals here. IF ML Synpower ever is readily available, THAT would be the best of both worlds...Meantime I am using MaxLife. 30% is a generous blend, compared to the 10-15-20% the others use.

Originally Posted By: afoulk
I know this isn't a direct comparison since the valvoline is a semi-synthetic, but I've tryed and tryed, and can't find the full synthetic stuff anywhere around my area. Anyways, if you guys had to choose, which one would it be? I've heard guys rave about the Valvoline stuff on here for a long time, but the M1 looks pretty stout from what I've seen, and its seems to be gaining popularity around here. Also, I know i'm getting specific here, but does anyone know the HTST of the M1 HM 5w-30? They list it for the other 2 grades, but theres no data sheets on the 5w-30.

I was considering those two and chose to stick to M1 HM since my vehicle got M1 silver cap for 100k or so...I am sure Max-life is good stuff but M1 HM is the superior oil at a higher price...if you have used dino or syn and had good luck then you don't have to switch, but I was looking at the cost and the fact mine was no longer a DD and I considered switching back to a dino or blend but I started it on M1 when I got it 8 yrs ago and felt wierd switching it just because it was no longer a DD.

Mobil's 5W-30 HM is brand new; I don't think anyone has seen a proper data sheet. The 10W-30 has a very low pour point and will probably (a guess) perform well in the cold. (I've not seen cold cranking stats for it.)

You should see the HM stuff soon in your area. It's new and it's really popular. At my Walmart today. There was only one 5qt container left and I took it.

PS. It's tried. Not tryed. Sorry but your spelling was bothering me.

The Full Syn Valvoline Maxlife is hard to find now for some reason. Maybe they are phasing it out for the Maxlife blend which is a very good oil.

But of the 2 the Mobil 1 is a much stouter oil.

Have you looked at the local Wally World? Every store I've visited recently has offered a fairly wide selection of M1, including the HM flavors.

There are a couple of synthetic-blends that really impress. One is Castrol Syntec-blend, and the other is Maxlife.

This UOA of synthetic-blend (Maxlife) was 7,381 miles in a V6, and the oil was still good for continued use.

I was at my Walmart today and they had the Full Syn Maxlife for 21.00 in 10-30 and 10-40. They had the Mobil 1 HM but not in the 5-30 weight.

As a side note they had jugs of Castrol Edge for 26.50. 50 cents more than Mobil EP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back