M1 HM vs M1+ lubro moly oil saver

Status
Not open for further replies.
1994 Accord 2.2 VTEC with 270k on it. Its been a M1 HM 10W40 success since this oil has greatly reduced consumption.

The car belongs to a friend, I do the oil changes for her at about 7 to 8K and I dont have much access to the car in between so its nice to know that at least the level is staying above MIN.

There are a couple of leaks (one is valve cover and the other is other around or under the distributor) that at some point I need to get deeper into but I was wondering what you guys think to giving reg M1 a try with the oil saver?....does anyone have any experience of using it?

do you think that it would be better than what im doing, or am I just itching to try something different and need to leave it alone? Im looking at the consumption which is now minimal AND maybe better leak control..

any input greatly appreciated!

That's a good link, tig1. I should forward that to the Infiniti dealership here that likes to push BG MOA with their Mobil service fill.
wink.gif

I've got a pretty good rear main leak in a '95 Honda F22B1. I added a can of motor oil saver last year with M1 5W30 and it seemed to slow the leak down quite a bit but it didn't eliminate it. I might try the M1 HM next to see if there's any noticeable difference.

Originally Posted By: buster
Just stick with the HM. Reg M1 won't do any better here...

I agree. Like you said, you should probably fix the leaks with new seals.

Originally Posted By: SuperDave456
Using the Oil Saver will raise it a grade.
This engine doesn't need a 50 weight.

Just stick with the Mobil 1 HM and call it a day.

No it won't. 300ml of additive mixed into a 5 quart sump will affect the viscosity nil.
OP
Every leaker I've used motor oil saver in slowed or stopped the leak.
There is no substitute for actually fixing the leak however motor oil saver will help as long as the gasket isn't physically missing or if the seal is rtv. Motor oil saver will not help an rtv seal.
Try it. At this point what have you got to lose.

as a follow-up; I changed the M1 5W30 with LubroMolu Motor Oil Engine Saver out to Mobil Series 200 HM without Motor Oil Saver and it seems that the leak is worse. This is based on checking the dipstick level and the level seems to fall a little more quickly with the HM. The drips from underneath seem to be a little worse too; where there used to be a small spot left behind, now there's 3 that are a bit larger.

Nothing scientific or rigorous about the way I'm comparing these so this is my impression only. I've put about 1/2 can of Oil Saver in today to try and slow things down again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back