M1 HM 10w30 Question..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is this usable in Chicago winters? I am using it on the GF's car and want to make sure I'm safe to leave it in for the winter. Wasn't thinking when I switched it over just a week or so ago. Current OCI will take her til the end of winter.

My guess is yes, as it is a modern high quality syn, but just asking!
smile.gif

Well, we don't have the MRV figures for it, but I would expect it to be OK. I was actually considering using it in my 530i year round, but then found a good deal on PU 5w-40.

What car/engine are we talking about here?

Drain it, you need a VW502 certified oil to maintain the warranty, there are less than 10 xW30's that pass vw502, 10w30 m1 is NOT one of them, stick with M1 0w40 full time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: Brenden
Drain it, you need a VW502 certified oil to maintain the warranty, there are less than 10 xW30's that pass vw502, 10w30 m1 is NOT one of them, stick with M1 0w40 full time.

That is his car, gf's car must be another make/model.

He didn't give a make or model for the car so I am assuming its the one in his sig...

It will work but is not optimal. Plenty of other readily-available oils I'd rather use for the winter.

I would not be too worried. Its a full synthetic, has a decent cold pour point, and loaded with anti-wear additives. Over the years I've had plenty of cars that rapped in the cold. Never lost an engine. What you have in there is far superior to those days. I assume your using it for oil consumption. If you start seeing results at about 3k try the thinner M1 HM 5w-30 next OCI see if it maintains.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Pour some in a glass jar and put it in your freezer. See if it freezes up.
grin2.gif

Ha! What are freezers set for anyways?

Do you think Mobil 1 HM 10w-30 would be a good winter oil choice for my 1990 VW 4cyl 2.0 16v with 250k? (Its had synth before, but years of dino.)

I am worried about using thinner 0w or 5w weights on an older SF style engine.

thoughts? I've never used Mobil 1 0w-40 or GC, but open if people think it's a good idea for winter short trips all over New England.

thanks. I know any ACEA A3/B4 will do and be sufficient, but don't mind spending money on oil. (it's = to a tank of gas) so I don't mind using a good quality synthetic and change according to seasons. Mobil 15w-50 in summer.

Originally Posted By: 2L16v
Do you think Mobil 1 HM 10w-30 would be a good winter oil choice for my 1990 VW 4cyl 2.0 16v with 250k? (Its had synth before, but years of dino.)

I am worried about using thinner 0w or 5w weights on an older SF style engine.

thoughts? I've never used Mobil 1 0w-40 or GC, but open if people think it's a good idea for winter short trips all over New England.

thanks. I know any ACEA A3/B4 will do and be sufficient, but don't mind spending money on oil. (it's = to a tank of gas) so I don't mind using a good quality synthetic and change according to seasons. Mobil 15w-50 in summer.

M1 0w40 is one of the finest oils you can get. Don't think it will hurt your "SF" rated VW.

10w30 HM M1 will probably work fine also...

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals

I'm not sure ... I tried to measure the temp one day with a digital thermometer,
but the liquid inside the liquid crystal display (LCD) froze up.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: Brons2
the older M1 HM 10w30 was ACEA A3 rated, is the newer SN stuff still A3?

There is no M1 HM 10w-30 SN. This oil has way too rich of an add pack to comply with SN. It is still API SL rated.

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Pour some in a glass jar and put it in your freezer. See if it freezes up.
grin2.gif

Mine's set at 0F, but I can reduce it down to -14F if need be. That'd be a cool test.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: Brons2
the older M1 HM 10w30 was ACEA A3 rated, is the newer SN stuff still A3?

There is no M1 HM 10w-30 SN. This oil has way too rich of an add pack to comply with SN. It is still API SL rated.

Correct, Mobil is targeting older engines that may need extra anti-wear adds and detergents, great oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back