M1 HM 10w-30 for mower and generator

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: ridgerunner
Originally Posted By: Astro_Guy
Amsoil ASF SAE 10w40 can’t find better than this.

It's funny that most OPE will outlast the machine it is mounted on using nothing more than SAE 30 dino oil, yet we quibble over the best synthetic oil to use. While I myself am equally guilty, what would anyone expect to gain by using a $10/qt oil in their OPE?

Well I figure most small engines only take 2 qts of oil so $20-25 I spend on great oil is money well spent to protect a several thousand $ machine. Better than tossing a generator to the curb as stated in an earlier post.

Do you think the machine actually will be better off with oil three to five times the price of a decent brand name oil?

The machines tossed to the curb died from running out of oil. If the machine had run of of Amsoil, would it be any better off?

OPE isn't particular about oil as long as it has sufficient oil to provide adequate lubrication.

You want to pay $25 to $30 for two quarts of oil when oil one 5th the cost will do is your choice. I'll pass on the boutique oil and keep my money knowing full well the regular brand name oil is providing all of the protection and lubrication my engines need.

I run Amsoil in many many things including some of my OPE money well spent and bonus I'm not adding every time I pull out my equipment to use. Low NOACK you know can be a good thing in hot running OPE.

I run sale, clearance, rebate oil almost exclusively but buying premium oil for a critical machine, like a generator, isn't the worst thing you can do. Things happen. You may not be around to change that oil on time.

Originally Posted By: dave123
I run Amsoil in many many things including some of my OPE money well spent and bonus I'm not adding every time I pull out my equipment to use. Low NOACK you know can be a good thing in hot running OPE.

Thank you, that was my point. NOACK of 3.7 beat that...anyone?

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
,,,For a generator in Florida,,,drive down the road and their was literally a blown up generator at the street for the trash man, in front of every single house in my neighborhood.
The lesson learned here is that oil breaks down and gets consumed, especially if you don't change it. A 40 weight will offer a larger margin of error should your maintenance lapse.

The IDEAL generator oil in Florida is 15W40 or SAE40,

CORRECT! Generators, especially hard working post hurricane generators really get the oil hot. One cannot expect thin, conventional oils to hold up well for this use. Even with frequent changes.

I choose M1, 15W-50 for my hard working generators. I learned my lesson the hard way with 2 Honda water pumps (dewatering my lot prior to construction) Both engines got so hot, the oil was unable to sufficiently lubricate and catrastrophic failure resulted. Level did not drop, but viscosity did. (remember, the pumps worked in an unimproved, mid summer, wet lot, pumping day and night. Little airflow, plenty of load) Neither pump made it more than a few days, despite daily oil changes. I knew right away they were going to fail, as the oil was full of glitter.

My Subaru generator has months and months of use on it. Both building my home, and the 2005-2006 and 2017 (4ea) hurricanes. In 2005, we were without power for 6 months. That generator was one hard working little beastie. M1, 15W-50 was a smart choice.

Last edited:
The viscosity and HTHS of the M1 10w-30 HM are right there with your typical 10w-30 HDEO. Can someone explain to me how the HDEO is “better”?

I agree with 15w-40 or straight 40 for extended run times in hot weather, but the mower will never see that kind of use. The generator might at some point but my brother shuts his down if he has to be away from the house, so it does get rest periods. I’m lobbying him but for the moment he has M1 10w-30 EP in his OPE because he has a 5qt jug and doesn’t want to run it in his vehicles. I think I have him convinced to go to rotella t4 or similar when he’s used up the M1.

Originally Posted By: SilverFusion2010
The viscosity and HTHS of the M1 10w-30 HM are right there with your typical 10w-30 HDEO. Can someone explain to me how the HDEO is “better”?

I agree with 15w-40 or straight 40 for extended run times in hot weather, but the mower will never see that kind of use. The generator might at some point but my brother shuts his down if he has to be away from the house, so it does get rest periods. I’m lobbying him but for the moment he has M1 10w-30 EP in his OPE because he has a 5qt jug and doesn’t want to run it in his vehicles. I think I have him convinced to go to rotella t4 or similar when he’s used up the M1.

I would not say better … if you have it use it. I currently don’t and got Delo semi 10w30 for $2/quart … so that’s both mowers fill for this summer … Mobil 1 is never on a deep clearance price here … but did find M1 EP 0w20 on Roll Back @ $25/jug … got the last one as the AP rack stood full … man that AP has been good for EP.
wink.gif

On gens … all of mine are low hours … and I generally crank a couple if needed for not more than 60% load … 10w30 is OK for now … when they get older I can migrate to a 40 …sure seem to find great deals on 40’s …

Originally Posted By: Cujet
,,,For a generator in Florida,,,drive down the road and their was literally a blown up generator at the street for the trash man, in front of every single house in my neighborhood.
The lesson learned here is that oil breaks down and gets consumed, especially if you don't change it. A 40 weight will offer a larger margin of error should your maintenance lapse.

CORRECT! Generators, especially hard working post hurricane generators really get the oil hot. One cannot expect thin, conventional oils to hold up well for this use. Even with frequent changes.

I choose M1, 15W-50 for my hard working generators. I learned my lesson the hard way with 2 Honda water pumps (dewatering my lot prior to construction) Both engines got so hot, the oil was unable to sufficiently lubricate and catrastrophic failure resulted. Level did not drop, but viscosity did. (remember, the pumps worked in an unimproved, mid summer, wet lot, pumping day and night. Little airflow, plenty of load) Neither pump made it more than a few days, despite daily oil changes. I knew right away they were going to fail, as the oil was full of glitter.

My Subaru generator has months and months of use on it. Both building my home, and the 2005-2006 and 2017 (4ea) hurricanes. In 2005, we were without power for 6 months. That generator was one hard working little beastie. M1, 15W-50 was a smart choice.

Just a thought... wouldn’t U need to put fuel in a generator throughout the day and night to keep it running. How hard is it to check and add oil if needed. Don’t many engines shut off when low on oil? Pretty idiot proof I think but....

Originally Posted By: Cujet

Just a thought... wouldn’t U need to put fuel in a generator throughout the day and night to keep it running. How hard is it to check and add oil if needed. Don’t many engines shut off when low on oil? Pretty idiot proof I think but....

I bought my newest 7k generator right before Harvey … 2nd to last one off the 18 wheelers at box store. They were selling them with a gas can and a 20 ounce bottle of no name 30 vis.
Got home & Chonda motor looked too big for 20 ounces … so I dumped a whole bottle of M1 10w30 in the motor.
Perfect … got it running and was cleaning up the cardboard when a 32 ounce bottle of ChinaOil fell on the ground …
Right in the bin it went … but always wondered which of these bad choices went in the dozens of gens sold that day …

Speaking to the choir here.... how many of your average neighbors will check the oil at every fill up, like they are supposed to? They go months and months driving their car without checking the oil, and they think the generator is the same.

Originally Posted By: Garak

Absolutely, but a $100 mower where the fuel system will fail two seasons in while the engine is in flawless shape doesn't even need an oil change, let alone expensive oil.
wink.gif

To be fair, most of the failed fuel systems I've seen are on neglected mowers. Those who use a heavy dose of marine stabilizer or drain the fuel never seem to have an issue.

The only engine I've seen that has issues no matter how well it is maintained is the Kohler Courage. Talk about a piece of junk...

The IDEAL generator oil in Florida is 15W40 or SAE40, in my opinion. Changed every 50 hours (if no oil filter) or every 100 hours (if you have an oil filter)

I won't argue with that at face value, but can tell you from experience that it is easier to start a generator up north here in the winter using 5w40. The last time I had to start my generator for an emergency it was snowing outside. I keep it in the garage, but it can still get below 25F out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back