M1 HM 10w-30 for mower and generator

Status
Not open for further replies.
Currently running this oil in the 4kW Predator generator, and the huskavarna riding mower that’s a 25hp Briggs twin.

After reading through this forum I have the impression that the Xw-40 HDEO are the “best” for extended operation in summer temperatures. I’m in the Florida panhandle and summer and hurricane season is upon us.

M1 HM 10w-30 has HTHS of 3.5 and is ACEA A3/B3. It is API SN so only has 800ppm zddp.

I would like your thoughts on replacing this oil with some rotella t4 15w-40. The yard is about 3/4 acre and takes 1-2 hours to mow depending on how thick and wet the grass is. Thicker grass means more mulching passes.

The generator is rarely used but would be run for as long as needed to keep refrigerator and freezers cold in the event of a power outage.

Last edited:
I've been running Valvoline VR1 10w30 racing oil in my riding mower for many years. For two years, I was using it to mow about 2 acres a week. Now it only has to do 1/2-acre. I've been using the mower for 16 years. 17.5 HP Briggs single. Still runs great.

For my Kawasaki powered John Deere ZTrak, I went from M1 HM 10w-40 to M1 TDT 5W-40 for the added ZDDP (1300 ppm) and nearly the same HTHS (3.8 vs 3.9). I have some M1 15w-50 (4.5 HTHS) for next time.
This being said, I think Rotella 15w-40 or 5w-40 would be an excellent choices for your location and application.

I really don't think there's anything wrong with using the Mobil 1. That being said my preference for small engine oil is conventional 30, 10/40 or 20/50.

They both require an oil change every 50 hours. For a generator in Florida, that means an oil change every two days use. NO ONE changes their oil every two days, and thus, this is why we saw a blown up generator in the trash in front of every house during the 2004 hurricane season. Yes, drive down the road and their was literally a blown up generator at the street for the trash man, in front of every single house in my neighborhood. I should have made a video. FEMA provided the generators for free and most people blew them up within 3 weeks. (my house was without power for two months!)

The lesson learned here is that oil breaks down and gets consumed, especially if you don't change it. A 40 weight will offer a larger margin of error should your maintenance lapse.

The IDEAL generator oil in Florida is 15W40 or SAE40, in my opinion. Changed every 50 hours (if no oil filter) or every 100 hours (if you have an oil filter)

Originally Posted By: ridgerunner
Amsoil ASF SAE 10w40 can’t find better than this.

It's funny that most OPE will outlast the machine it is mounted on using nothing more than SAE 30 dino oil, yet we quibble over the best synthetic oil to use. While I myself am equally guilty, what would anyone expect to gain by using a $10/qt oil in their OPE?

Originally Posted By: Astro_Guy

It's funny that most OPE will outlast the machine it is mounted on using nothing more than SAE 30 dino oil, yet we quibble over the best synthetic oil to use. While I myself am equally guilty, what would anyone expect to gain by using a $10/qt oil in their OPE?

Well, I was sweating while mowing today … but not sweating the $2/quart Delo 400 10w30 …

Well I figure most small engines only take 2 qts of oil so $20-25 I spend on great oil is money well spent to protect a several thousand $ machine. Better than tossing a generator to the curb as stated in an earlier post.

Originally Posted By: 4WD
Well, I was sweating while mowing today … but not sweating the $2/quart Delo 400 10w30 …

Where's the "Like" button?

Well I figure most small engines only take 2 qts of oil so $20-25 I spend on great oil is money well spent to protect a several thousand $ machine. Better than tossing a generator to the curb as stated in an earlier post.

Yup, that's my logic as well. We each have our own opinion of what constitutes "excessive" maintenance. As for those FEMA generators out by the curb, one has to wonder how many generators that people purchased with their own money were also out at the curb. I can't say for sure, but I'd be willing to bet that there is a statistically significant difference in those two populations of generators.

Absolutely, but a $100 mower where the fuel system will fail two seasons in while the engine is in flawless shape doesn't even need an oil change, let alone expensive oil.
wink.gif

Yup, that's my logic as well. We each have our own opinion of what constitutes "excessive" maintenance. As for those FEMA generators out by the curb, one has to wonder how many generators that people purchased with their own money were also out at the curb. I can't say for sure, but I'd be willing to bet that there is a statistically significant difference in those two populations of generators.

I have four gens … and the common problem is always fuel related … not lube oil. I have regular M1 10w30 in them …
Starting to switch them over to Tygon hose …

The issue isn't really the oil used, but the oil level with small engines. Most are splash lubricated with no filter. You can bet that most of the generators mentioned in bubba's post had run low on oil or the oil was full of metal from initial engine break-in and was never changed.

I work on power equipment as a side business and all of the engine failures I have seen have been due to low/no oil, or over revving. The ones that were never changed usually smoke a bit but still run.

I put 15w40 HDEO in my customer's machines (except for 5w30 in snowblowers) because HDEO is less likely to burn off, and most people never check the oil level in their equipment. I figure if the oil stays in the thing, it will live longer. Most air cooled power equipment engines (especially those not maintained by BITOG members) tend to burn a bit of oil.

Originally Posted By: Garak

Absolutely, but a $100 mower where the fuel system will fail two seasons in while the engine is in flawless shape doesn't even need an oil change, let alone expensive oil.
wink.gif

I agree. I dont use Amsoil in some of my old or cheap/ beat up equipment. Usually run Rotella sae 30 in those. New expensive machines get the good stuff! Gotta pick your battles and check your wallet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back