M1 H/M 10w30 in turbocharged app?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This may be a stupid question but I have been searching for hours.
21.gif

Is there any reason that I should not use Mobil1 "high Mileage" 10w30 in my 2.4l Turbocharged motor? The car gets beat on every so often, but not for extended periods of time all at once. I moniter oil pressure and oil temps, so when temps get high, I take it easy. From my searching, it seams like a GF-4 oil is a good choice for high temp applications, but I am trying to slow or stop a leak. I thought the leak was from my oil pan gasket, which I think part of the seepage was, so I changed the gasket. Now I noticed that the leak is coming from higher up, maybe the crank seal. The leak itself does not leave a drip on the driveway, but it is being blown around underneith the motor and making a mess. Either way, will this oil hold up to the beating a may induce on it?

during my searching, I found this link. it might be good for people like me that dont know an awful lot about oil.

http://www.answers.com/topic/motor-oil-2

one more thing....the motor has seen mostly Amsoil TSO or ASL for the 1st 47000 miles with a GC OCI in the middle somewhere. I tried RTS 5w40 SM for the last 3k miles, and the car is deffinetly more sluggish and the leak hasnt slowed, so I want to change to something else.

Last edited:
Mobil 1 High Mileage would be great for a turbo. All Mobil 1 oils are good for turbo's.

I noticed the oil temps went up ~10 degrees on my normal daly drve after dumping in the 5w40. They also went up quicker when I romped on the motor.

You don't say what brand car this is which would help. My Chrysler PT Cruiser 2.4 turbo requires 5-30 oil and that is what I run. I live in deep south Texas and have no run hot issues with the Synpower that I use.
I think ?-40 is too heavy for your application and is slowing you down and making you hot.

Have you checked your PCV system (assuming your car has one)? My guess is that your PCV is clogged and your blowing oil out one of your seals when crankcase pressures rise. If you pull off the dipstick while the car is running, does it have positive or negative pressure, i.e. does air come out or get sucked in? If the former, your PCV is definitely clogged.

Cheers,

J

M1 HM is a great choice for your application very robust oil,use it with confidence,,your protected well.

it in an 05 Neon SRT4. I know it is spec'd for 5w30, I gave the RTS a try because of the great UOA's, cheap price, and to see if it would slow down my leak. My main concern with trying the HM oil was would it hold up to the high temps and the beating of 17-18 psi of boost on a daily basis since my normal fill is GF-4 spec'd and not GF-3

PCV system is in great shape. I also have a catch can and a back up check valve installed in the PCV line to help the low quality PCV valve out. I constantly preach on a different site to check the PCV systems. I read all the time of neon owners never changing the valves for 100k+ miles and wondering why their car smokes. Most of them think its a bad turbo seal and spend $1000+ on a new turbo or a valve seal job, only to find out it was a bad $10 valve and clogged line

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: hooligan24
My main concern with trying the HM oil was would it hold up to the high temps

with ease..

Funny you should mention this, I just noticed the same type of leak in my SRT4 yesterday while doing an oil change. I tracked it down and it is coming from the crank seal. I have about 70k on the motor so I am going to go ahead and do a timing belt service and replace the crank & cam seals while I'm in there.

Originally Posted By: TurboLuver
Funny you should mention this, I just noticed the same type of leak in my SRT4 yesterday while doing an oil change. I tracked it down and it is coming from the crank seal. I have about 70k on the motor so I am going to go ahead and do a timing belt service and replace the crank & cam seals while I'm in there.

it seems to be a popular leak on the forums. Most dont know exactly where its coming from, just that the pan is covered in oil. Being that only have 50k miles, I dont feel like doing the timing belt job prematurely.

Originally Posted By: hooligan24
it seems to be a popular leak on the forums. Most dont know exactly where its coming from, just that the pan is covered in oil. Being that only have 50k miles, I dont feel like doing the timing belt job prematurely.

I wasn't suggesting that for you, I didn't think you had many miles on your car.
grin2.gif
Actually the thought of switching to a HM oil crossed my mind as well, but I figured since I was fairly close to the TB job anyway.
21.gif

Whats ironic is about a month ago I picked up an 02 SXT for a song because it needed a TB service, so a couple weeks ago I bought all the parts from rock auto and did it last week, if I had know of the leak I could have saved a little on shipping and bought the kit for both.
smirk2.gif

Well, I will keep you updated if it helped the leak or not. I went the WallyWorld and picked up a jug for $22. They dont have the new 5w30HM on the shelves yet, so I went with the 10w30. It just sucks that I have stocked up on M1 0w40 since I had Autozone rewards to use and also the M1 rebates. I guess if it stops the leak, I can try the 0w40 and see if it comes back. I will try one 3k mile change and one 5k mile change with the M1 HM.

on a side note, they also had 18 quarts of M1 gold cap Extended Performance 5w20 for $2.50 each on a shelf an isle over from the oil isle. I almost grabbed them all, but I really dont have any use for them. I told my brother to go grab them up for use in his prius

Originally Posted By: buster
Mobil 1 High Mileage would be great for a turbo. All Mobil 1 oils are good for turbo's.
even M1 0W-20 or 5W-20??
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: gtx510
Originally Posted By: buster
even M1 0W-20 or 5W-20??
grin2.gif

Why not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back