M1 FS 0w40/5w40 or M1 ESP 5w30/0w40 better for a Mazda 3

It's has 165k miles on it, I've been using Regular M1 5w30 for most of the OCIs, and 5w20 sometimes when 5w30 is not on the shelves. Is it time to use Full SAPS like the FS 0w40/5w40 for a better wear protection (EPA is not square strict about CATs in Egypt) ,opt for the the ESP 5w30 (same viscosity as regular M1) or ESP 0w40 for better HT/HS buffer while keeping the Cat happy for a slight wear protection tradeoff?

Good to know, Mazda recommend s ILSAC which is fulfilled by Regular M1 and ESP as well. FS does not meet ILSAC specs but I think it's M1 Flagship formula so it won't do any harm except that I'm suspicious of higher ash content.
I need your recommendation to keep this baby on the road.

Last edited:
Either or is probably ok, if the fuel in eqypt is still high sulfur I'd stick with full SAPS oil. If we're talking an old Mazda 3 with the port ingected engine either or will work, on a never Mazda with the Sky-Activ engines I'd be more inclined towards the ESP, but since I don't think Eqypt has limits on sulfur in fuel I'd probably just stick with the 5W30 that you have been running.

I have just purchased ESP 0W30 as an experiental alternative to 0W40 I've been using for years. Very similar specs.
ESP X3 0w40 may be of interest to you if you can get it.
Is your engine GDI?

I have just purchased ESP 0W30 as an experiental alternative to 0W40 I've been using for years. Very similar specs.
ESP X3 0w40 may be of interest to you if you can get it.
Is your engine GDI?
Yeah. It's more available than FS. But as of late, I learned that gasoline in Egypt is very high in sulfur so I need the higher TBN along with shorter OCIs than usual to counter the negative effects of sulfur. Although an ESP would work with even shorter OCIs than FS of course. But FS 0w40 remains an all rounder.

FS 0w40 is full SAP. but higher TBN than 0w30.
If your engine is GDI, you may take into account LSPI

Back