M1 Frankenbrew Question

Shel_B

Site Donor 2023
I'd like to use up some odd amounts of oil for my next change. I have 2 quarts of M1 0W-20 EP and 3 quarts of M1 0W-30 ESP. I suppose I'd be OK mixing those two oils but would I be better off getting a couple of quarts of 0W-20 ESP to mix with the 0W-30?

It's fine but ideally 0w20 ESP would play better with 0w30 ESP from a purist perspective.

Whether you use anecdotes as evidence for your oil choice is up to you to decide, but my experience suggests that the combination you described will be just fine. I have been mixing various brands, weights, etc for years and I never experienced an oil-related issue. In fact, I currently have a mix of 0W20 and 5W30 in my Odyssey. The previous fill was a mix of five or six brands in 0W and 5W20. YMMV

So… asking means you know what the right thing to do. Give what you think is the lesser to your neighbor. Everything will be fine whatever you choose.
Lawn mower, generator exc…

Last edited:
The answer this time is the same as it was the previous 50 times the question was asked - If both oils are API licensed or otherwise pass ASTM D6922 then they are guaranteed to be miscible and will not cause harm. However, there is no guarantee that the resulting mixture will still meet the requirements for any of the licenses, specifications or approvals the individual oils may hold. Nor will the mixture be guaranteed to meet the performance specification for the lowest winter rating of the individual oils.

Just wanted some reassurance ... was feeling a little insecure today.

More insecure than the last time you asked the question?
Listen pal…we all know those Toyota Camrys are one of the most unreliable cars on the road. That’s why nobody buys them. He’s just doing his part to make sure he won’t get stranded on the road. Mixing different Mobil 1 api certified oil in that engine will surely grenade it

😉

Back