M1 Flash Point - how do they do it?

For their 5W-30 Advanced Full Synth HM engine oil, Mobil 1 publishes a flash point of 245C/473F on the product specs. This is significantly higher than other Group 3 oils, and even higher than some Group 4/5 oils.

What are they adding to achieve this impressive flash point? Could whatever they add sustain this high flash point over the life of the oil while in use, or is this high flash point just characteristic of brand new virgin oil?

It's not what they are adding, it's what they aren't... They don't put volatile stuff in it (in considerable amounts) such as low viscosity base oils or possibly primary alkyl zddp.

what test method is used?
1621714311281.jpg

why does that one say 230C vs what @DIY4quality stated?

ok that is the non-high mileage pds?

the high mileage PDS states 225C

Where did @DIY4quality find his number?

why does that one say 230C vs what @DIY4quality stated?

ok that is the non-high mileage pds?

the high mileage PDS states 225C
1621721443491.jpg

Oops that was for regular Mobil1 not M1HM, the website shows 245C for 5w-30 HM

I don't think vanilla M1 5w30 is all group III. In most weights, it usually has both a higher flash point and lower pour point than competing group III base oils, such as PP or Castrol. That tells me there's PAO in there.

Good info from Machinery Lubrication website:
Flash Point Test

We appreciate when high flash point says hello to Mr. Low Noack!
And both say hello to Mrs. Moly.
plus dash of hths! what else do you need?

Last edited:
I don't think vanilla M1 5w30 is all group III. In most weights, it usually has both a higher flash point and lower pour point than competing group III base oils, such as PP or Castrol. That tells me there's PAO in there.
That's a logical explanation, but I think it's very unlikely based on what we know. Oils that we have a high confidence of containing Group 4/5 base stocks don't have this high of a flashpoint at 245C/473F.

For example, Amsoil SS 5W-30 has a flashpoint of 220C/428F. And Redline 5W-30 has a flashpoint of 232C/450F (for the variety I could find specs on).

To the extent we can infer anything from price, M1 is priced like a garden-variety Group 3 oil.

Back