M1 Extended Performance - Group IV?

There is nothing wrong with Amsoil if that is your choice. But then you are the one believing Amsoil's marketing. .
There's nothing wrong with it in an older port injected engine where you can run it for an extended interval but other than that it's kind of a waste if you're just gonna have to dump it at 5000mi because the 3.6L has diluted it with fuel.

There is nothing wrong with Amsoil if that is your choice. But then you are the one believing Amsoil's marketing. .
Covnenience is another reason.
Except when M1 is 45% or 50% off every two to three weeks at Canadian Tire. I purchase Mobil 1 AFE of less than $27 at WalMart a few weeks ago.
I only hit Canadian Tire when I need oil, so I always miss the sales.

I used Amsoil for ten years when my friend was a dealer. I can't say anything bad about Amsoil. The quality is there and there are some specific Amsoil products I still use.

I believe it's 30-40% IIRC.
Because up here we pay Group IV prices for oil regardless of being syn blend or full syn.

Amsoil is a true Group IV, I may still run it anyway.

Amsoil has changed their formulations like everyone else. I'm sure it has a significant amount of GIV, but I doubt it's even the majority base oil. Amsoil is using GIII and GTL in other formulations...

A lot of Mobil 1 formulations also contain a fair amount of AN GV....

When they start giving you a range of 10% or more what sticks in my mind is they need a little more quality control. Can yo? u imagine buying gas and the little sign of the pump says 83 to 93 Octane?

When they start giving you a range of 10% or more what sticks in my mind is they need a little more quality control.

MSDS sheets are not a recipe, they are designed to be sufficiently vague to not give away valuable information about the product at the expense of identifying potential hazards. Some of them have ranges from 0-100%!

In that context, some of them can be used to say "yep, this product appears to have PAO in it or GTL in it at a significant amount", that's about it.

From what I've seen, I think Amsoil is likely a PAO/GTL/V blend. They appear to use a good dose of V too. I've seen estimates range from 10%-15%.

Last edited:
When they start giving you a range of 10% or more what sticks in my mind is they need a little more quality control. Can yo? u imagine buying gas and the little sign of the pump says 83 to 93 Octane?
A response that shows you know absolutely nothing as to why the SDS exist in the first place. Under no circumstances should it ever be considered a “formula” of how a substance is blended. It exists solely to provide firefighters and other first responders information they may need in treating a spill or a fire of the substance.

Just because some ignorant people try to use it for other purposes doesn’t mean that it’s appropriate nor suitable.

Just so everyone is clear here, and this has been clarified numerous times, SDS DOES NOT SHOW full formulation. It only shows compounds that are a health hazard.

I run M1 5W30 EP in Toyota and shows excellent results.
There is no 100% PAO or Ester oil. They are all blend and the final result is what matters. Majority PAO does not guarantee better results.

What sticks in my mind is their attempts not to give exact formula.
And, AGAIN, SDS does not indicate the formula. It shows compounds that are a health hazard.

What sticks in my mind is their attempts not to give exact formula.
And, AGAIN, SDS does not indicate the formula. It shows compounds that are a health hazard.
With todays science and and equipment to test these there are no secrets. Its all of the hype and the BS game!

years ago Amsoil touted PAO + likely some Ester, but these days since group III is legally advertised as "synthetic" oils are blended to a spec + price point using the least costly base oils + add packs. good oil for sure but its up to decide if its worth the $$$$ as i thought it was long ago. as noted a brand name spec oil is the best value BUT its your $$$$

With todays science and and equipment to test these there are no secrets. Its all of the hype and the BS game
OK, give us proof. We are all ears to how they BS this.
SDS does not require from manufacturer to give you complete formula. Now, of course, you can personally test that and tell us.

years ago Amsoil touted PAO + likely some Ester, but these days since group III is legally advertised as "synthetic" oils are blended to a spec + price point using the least costly base oils + add packs. good oil for sure but its up to decide if its worth the $$$$ as i thought it was long ago. as noted a brand name spec oil is the best value BUT its your $$$$
The interesting part is that oil analysis by that Russian website indicates Ester in many M1 products, although you cannot find that in SDS. And you get that for cheap.

Back