M1 Extended Performance - Group IV?

Thanks for the fast reply. Oils are blends to fine tune the end results of the performance needed, PAOs don't have a high film strength [if that is a proper term] seal swell, dissolve additives etc, though they have good low temp performance good high temp performance etc.
PAO doesn't have high film strength? News to me. Oxidative stability and long drain capability are also strong points.

Only suckers, people who live in very remote locations or the clueless pay regular price for off-the-shelf oil in Canada. Our regular prices are outrageous, but Canadian Tire, one of our large automotive retailers, has a different brand on sale for 45% to 55% every week.
Yes that's true. For about $26 u.s. we can get good stuff like PUP, Castrol EP, Mobil1 EP when on sale a few times per year at Canadian Tire. Unfortunately they don't carry Valvoline.

The interesting part is that oil analysis by that Russian website indicates Ester in many M1 products, although you cannot find that in SDS. And you get that for cheap.
It's usually an AN signature I think. The ESP line and 0w40 use POE.

Film strength is not a significant property of motor oils. There is no ASTM test for engine oils so what is a “good” value and what is a better one?

How is it measured?
If there isn't a method to measure film strength then I am mistaken or I just never read what I thought I did. I don't understand why it wouldn't be a significant property if it could be measured though. So exactly what are we referring to when film strength is mentioned, hths or maybe aw package?

What's the cheapest Dexos oil you can find, that's probably the best thing to run in a 3.6, cheapest dexos 5w30 and change it often.
Cheapest and -40 do not play well together. I plan on keeping this truck a long time, cheapest won't be getting bought. I'd rather pay more for a full synthetic for superior cold starts.
Next change will be Rotella gas truck 5w30, the change after that will be Amsoil.

Film strength is not a significant property of motor oils. There is no ASTM test for engine oils so what is a “good” value and what is a better one?

How is it measured?

Best approximation is probably to say it's called HTHS viscosity. HTHS viscosity
directly translates to "film strength". Viscosity at elevated temperature and under
shear stress is what matters. So I'd say yes, it does matter. As a consequence there's
no need to measure film strength directly since we have HTHS. I guess that pretty
much explains why there's no ASTM test existing.

Cheapest and -40 do not play well together. I plan on keeping this truck a long time, cheapest won't be getting bought. I'd rather pay more for a full synthetic for superior cold starts.
Next change will be Rotella gas truck 5w30, the change after that will be Amsoil.
At negative 40 you should be using 0W30.

I see higher flash point with Mobil 1 EP 0w20 than most oils, too. So doesn't that indicate PAO holds up better to high temps as well as having a lower pour point?

Polarity also plays into film strength. The more an oil is attracted to metal surfaces, the more force is needed to break the film.

Good point, Tom. Unfortunately oil formulators have to balance PCMO formulations,
which pratically limits polarity. E.g. using "pure" ester base oils certainly wouldn't meet
seal compatibilty targets.

Good point, Tom. Unfortunately oil formulators have to balance PCMO formulations,
which pratically limits polarity. E.g. using "pure" ester base oils certainly wouldn't meet
seal compatibilty targets.
True for pure ester based PCMO, but some esters can be used at rather high dosages if seal balanced with some PAO. These tend to be lower polarity, high lubricity esters using long chain vegetable sourced fatty acids. Still as you say the PCMO formulator is restricted when it comes to polarity. For aviation and industrial applications ester base oils can be used at 100%, and the seals are selected for compatibility with the ester rather than the other way around.

I need to ask why would the base oil matter considering todays oils are a blend.
*You can thank Castrol for going to court to contest what can be labeled as a synthetic oil ... Of the readily available brands of oil from off the shelf at WM - the M1 EP oils is the truest synthetic oil you can buy due to % of PAO content (for some people that is important) .

*You can thank Castrol for going to court to contest what can be labeled as a synthetic oil ... Of the readily available brands of oil from off the shelf at WM - the M1 EP oils is the truest synthetic oil you can buy due to % of PAO content (for some people that is important) .
Or didn't go to court.

It just won't die.
Funny, I haven't seen NAD (of the BBB) sending anyone off to Jail ...
I find you guilty of Group III basestock blending!
20 years to life ! Take the defendant, Mr. Fidel Castrol, away !
And had it gone to court Mobil knew they would lose since they (and Castrol) had been selling Group III based synthetics in most of the rest of the world for years. The US was actually a latecomer to the change.

And had it gone to court Mobil knew they would lose since they (and Castrol) had been selling Group III based synthetics in most of the rest of the world for years. The US was actually a latecomer to the change.
I had not known that, but I believe it. They were likely keeping and eye on what RDS was doing with slack wax and making a well received lubricant out of byproduct, ss well as other technologies. How could any significant players not do this.

Back