M1 Extended Performance - Group IV?

With todays science and and equipment to test these there are no secrets. Its all of the hype and the BS game!
Again, an SDS IS NOT A RECIPE. It is NOT, in ANY WAY, designed to tell you intricate details about an oil's formulation, its EXCLUSIVE purpose is to indicate potential hazards in the formulation of the product for emergency personnel.

Yes, we can get some very basic idea as to formulation constituents from some of the SDS sheets, but they are not designed for the purpose of providing that information, it's simply a by-product of what is identified as a potential hazard.

Again, an SDS IS NOT A RECIPE. It is NOT, in ANY WAY, designed to tell you intricate details about an oil's formulation, its EXCLUSIVE purpose is to indicate potential hazards in the formulation of the product for emergency personnel.

Yes, we can get some very basic idea as to formulation constituents from some of the SDS sheets, but they are not designed for the purpose of providing that information, it's simply a by-product of what is identified as a potential hazard.
True but a competitor that really wants to know only has to do a Scientific Chemical analysis.

True but a competitor that really wants to know only has to do a Scientific Chemical analysis.

Sure, but that's not the intended audience of an SDS, which are firefighters and other emergency response personnel. Giving them detailed composition percentages is not valuable so vague references to constituents is perfectly suitable for the purpose of hazard identification while not "making it easy" for others to determine precise information on formulation choices.

Mobil is actually surprisingly specific in calling out ranges when compared to its competitors in this regard.

Is any chemical analysis non-scientific? It would be really nice to tell us what is your argument here? I still don’t understand what are you trying to say? If manufacturers gave you recipe, what would that mean for you? It wouldn’t say to you anything how oil performs in real world.

Is any chemical analysis non-scientific? It would be really nice to tell us what is your argument here? I still don’t understand what are you trying to say? If manufacturers gave you recipe, what would that mean for you? It wouldn’t say to you anything how oil performs in real world.
Well let me likely be the first to inform you not to commit a crime LOL

Up here 4.73L of M1 is $64.99, and a 1L bottle is $17.79, that gets me the 5.7L needed for an oil change.

$76.20 gets me 6L of Amsoil SS 5W30 with my Preferred pricing.
It only about 26 bucks a 5gal jug at Walmart near me. What is going on up there, north of the border, eh?
Do you have a VAT?

I believe the main point is that the OP can use any dexos-approved 5w30 they want, and it's not going to make much difference whether they use M1EP or M1 or Castrol or Valvoline or SuperSlick or Lube Bros. It meets the spec, you're good. Why they want more Gp4 content, I am not sure... more Gp4 base oil does not equal better performance. The performance of the finished lubricant is what matters, not the base oil content.
Personally, if the normal service interval is 10,000 miles, I would be inclined to use M1EP because it is guaranteed for 15,000 miles and NOT because it may or may not have a superior base oil.

I believe the main point is that the OP can use any dexos-approved 5w30 they want, and it's not going to make much difference whether they use M1EP or M1 or Castrol or Valvoline or SuperSlick or Lube Bros. It meets the spec, you're good. Why they want more Gp4 content, I am not sure... more Gp4 base oil does not equal better performance. The performance of the finished lubricant is what matters, not the base oil content.
Personally, if the normal service interval is 10,000 miles, I would be inclined to use M1EP because it is guaranteed for 15,000 miles and NOT because it may or may not have a superior base oil.
It's a GM 3.6L GDI V6, I'd be changing the oil often and skip the expensive extended drain oil, looks like wally world in Canada has 5L jugs of Supertech Dexos 5w30 for 17 bucks and 49 maple cents, possibly for less in stores, I'd run that for reasonable OCIs probably around 5k miles maybe less if it's used for lots of short trips in the winter.

Well let me likely be the first to inform you not to commit a crime LOL
It's a GM 3.6L GDI V6, I'd be changing the oil often and skip the expensive extended drain oil, looks like wally world in Canada has 5L jugs of Supertech Dexos 5w30 for 17 bucks and 49 maple cents, possibly for less in stores, I'd run that for reasonable OCIs probably around 5k miles maybe less if it's used for lots of short trips in the winter.
Right now with the current Mobil 1 Rebates you can get an extended drain oil from them for less than Supertech! I'd change it right before the trip and take a quart or two for topoff oil with me.

Right now with the current Mobil 1 Rebates you can get an extended drain oil from them for less than Supertech! I'd change it right before the trip and take a quart or two for topoff oil with me.
If they were in the States I'd recommend that but in Canada they're not doing the rebate and the regular Canadian price is not anywhere near as cheap as it is here.

Only suckers, people who live in very remote locations or the clueless pay regular price for off-the-shelf oil in Canada. Our regular prices are outrageous, but Canadian Tire, one of our large automotive retailers, has a different brand on sale for 45% to 55% every week.

Only suckers or people who live in very remote locations pay regular price for off-the-shelf oil in Canada. Our regular prices are outrageous, but Canadian Tire, one of our large automotive retailers, has a different brand on sale for 45% to 55% every week.
Yep, exactly. Just wait for the sales, lol. When they run on M1, I grab it.

Back