M1 Extended Performance filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Autozone in Linden, NJ has the new M1 Extended Performance filters on the shelf. To my surprise, THEY ARE NOT E-CORE, but are "old school" Champion design (they look identical to the old filters.) The box even advertises a "steel center tube" as one of the features of the filter.

I wish I bought it to post pictures, but someone else will surely see them soon. They sell for the same price as regular M1 filters (they even have the same UPC code). According to a clerk, the stores were instructed to sell the regular ones before putting the EPs out.

P.S. There are about 18 quarts of Green GC left at this location. This place price matches, so I'll wait until SOMEONE comes along with $3.99 offer. It's got to happen sooner or later.

Nothing here yet, but judging by how slow they go it might take a while.

-T

The only EP filter here is a M-301, which, from its size, appears to be the "Mother of All Oil Filters," at least when we're talking gasoline engines.

No other EP filter was available, just the M-301, and at the same $10.99 price as the others.

They must have the EPs hidden away, waiting until the sell the "regular" M1 filters. Autozone has a "special" going on here, whereby you can buy 5 qts. of Mobil 1 and a M-1 filter for $29.99, or 5 qts. of EP and and M-1 filter for $32.99. If you ignore the filter cost, the per qt. cost certainly beats the $6.19 per quart they're charging in this area. You'll probably do better with a 5-qt. jug from Wal-Mart and a PureOne, price wise.

If the EP filters are so much better and they want to move the old M-1s, why not put them on sale? A real sale.

I'm most surprised that the new filters are not E-Cores and even advertise the fact that they have steel center tubes and steel endcaps.

It really puts doubt in Champion's statements when their top-line filter does not feature the eCore design.

Champ has 1...one... E-core production line. It can only build certain part numbers ( sizes ) of filters.

For Mobil to want E-core for every part number they would sell, it couldn't be done.

So if you were them how could you tout a new "extended performance" line and not have them all look the same?

I don't think that the ecore is that much cost saving evolution. I'm sure that it will be a while before the R&D and tooling are paid for ..and what are you talking about in savings? The media costs are the same. The labor costs are surely the same. The energy costs are the same. You save a few stamped metal parts and exchange them for polymers. If it was that much cheaper, other manufacturers would quickly adopt it ..for better or worse.
dunno.gif

I think it's just being an industry leader in the future of filtration for disposal purposes. There is surely going to be greater restrictions put on fitler disposal in the future. Champ is either reading this future evolution ...and preparing for it ...or they're helping move this evolution along and lobbying for it to occur (probably a little of both)

The fact is that Mobil 1 uses a thicker shell and baseplate, something the E-core line can't handle...at the moment.

As far as the element in the E-core and it's performance, it exceeds in efficiency and capacity against filters that cost more.

The element also has a better flow rate because it doesn't use a metal center tube..more surface area for the oil to get through rather than be blocked by the solid center tube.

Yup, I used an M1-104EP in my mother's Del Sol yesterday. Wish I had the presence of mind to take a picture of the box, but it was gray.

quote:

Originally posted by Luft:
Yup, I used an M1-104EP in my mother's Del Sol yesterday. Wish I had the presence of mind to take a picture of the box, but it was gray.

PLEASE cut it open and post pics when you are done.

I was always under the impression that the top-line filters (ie K&N and Mobil 1) would not go to e-core. They know better than that. I think Champ is aware that the people who know/care enough to buy the $10 filters are smart enough to figure out that the e-core is nothing but a cost saving measure, no matter what they claim about it being a better design....

quote:

Originally posted by Filter guy:
The fact is that Mobil 1 uses a thicker shell and baseplate, something the E-core line can't handle...at the moment.

As far as the element in the E-core and it's performance, it exceeds in efficiency and capacity against filters that cost more.

The element also has a better flow rate because it doesn't use a metal center tube..more surface area for the oil to get through rather than be blocked by the solid center tube.

Interesting, a long tme ago a guy posted on BITOG that he did a study of oil filter flow rates and found the most restrictive factor was not the media it was the holes in the center tube.

I just returned from my local AZ. They had one new M1 EP filter on the shelf. It was an M1-102. I compared it to the old style M1-102 & other than color, they look exactly the same internally & externally. Maybe the filter media has been tweaked.
dunno.gif

One things fur sure; it was a dang purty lookin' filter.
 -

[ August 09, 2005, 01:21 PM: Message edited by: wavinwayne ]

Well, maybe it's worth the $10.99 that AZ wants in this town. I've used them and I like them, but my 2001 Infiniti I30 uses an M-110, which makes a thimble look big.

Now just today, while hunting for GC-green (Pscholte's fault), I truly saw the Mother of All Oil Filters: a Mobil 1 M-602 (I believe). I posted earlier in this thread that I thought the M-301 was the "MOAF." Not so! I could fit two of the 301s into a 602, hands down.

My complaint is that I have to pay $10.99 for a M-110 that is 30% of the size of the M-602, yet the 602 is still $10.99! Heck, even the M-102 on my wife's Highlander is at least 25% bigger than the M-110, but still at $10.99.

So, yes, it is worth the cash, as long as your application calls for a bigger filter.

My complaint is that I have to pay $10.99 for a M-110 that is 30% of the size of the M-602, yet the 602 is still $10.99!

I agree 100%, I was looking at the M1 filters when I was at PepBoys....and the smallest M1 filter is $10.99
confused.gif
Has anyone noticed that PepBoys is getting rid of the PureOne filters ?

For the first time, Autozone had the new M1 EP filters. Same price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back