M1 ESP X2: A 0W-20 that advertises protection on par w/ higher viscosity oils

wemay

Site Donor 2023
http://www.chemcorp.co.uk/news/i/37...w-viscosity-high-protection-engine-oil-/

Mobil 1 ESP x2 0W-20 has been designed to deliver the following performance benefits:

•            Active cleaning agents: Helps to prevent the build-up of harmful deposits to  Â

help provide outstanding engine cleanliness and sludge control

•            Outstanding thermal and oxidation stability: Helps to reduce oil aging allowing

extended drain interval protection

•            Enhanced frictional properties: Can help with up to 4% fuel economy

improvement versus Mobil 1 ESP Formula 5W-301

•            Excellent low temperature capabilities: Quick cold weather performance to

help provide fast protection at start-up

•            Outstanding high temperature capabilities: Provides outstanding high

temperature protection over the entire oil drain interval

•            Wear protection: Provides outstanding wear protection over the full oil drain

interval

•            Mobil 1™ ESP x2 0W-20 is the first low viscosity oil product that can help

provide fuel economy benefits without comprising the performance and

durability of petrol and diesel-powered engines

•            New product meets the rigorous performance requirements of manufacturers,

such as Volkswagen Group, Jaguar Land Rover and Porsche

•            The lubrication standards set by these OEMs far exceed the requirements set

for previous 0W-20 products, and were previously only achievable with higher-

viscosity products

•            Innovative new formulation can help offer advanced engine protection and fuel

efficiency gains of up to 4%

Last edited:
BTW, according to MSDS, it contains 30~40% PAO, 10~20% GTL, quite nice
smile.gif

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by aleneros
BTW, according to MSDS, it contains 30~40% PAO, 10~20% GTL, quite nice
smile.gif

[Linked Image]

Good find.

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
Is the "30%-40% severely hyrdotreated heavy paraffinic distillate" a group 3 base stock?

Yes.
So, it's a combination of:
30~40% PAO (group 4)
10~20% GTL
30~40% group 3

IMO ESP in any of the offerings is one of, if not the best product in their line up.

Technosynthese. LIke a Motul 6100 range.

Keeps the cost below 10e /Litre

Would not the M1 EP be "better" being a real PAO syn? If aftertreatment SAPS requirement are ignored?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite

Would not the M1 EP be "better" being a real PAO syn? If aftertreatment SAPS requirement are ignored?

M1EP doesn't carry VW508 - So no.

I do not understand this. Can you clarify?

Technosynthese is semi synthetic oil but with a higher proportion of synthetic than the 4100 range.

The M1 is a tri-synthetic oil, there may be about 3% mineral oil to aid additive dilution.

Other than that it's a fully synthetic oil with each base oil bringing something to the party.

not in a Vw or MB, Porsche engine...

Originally Posted by riggaz

Technosynthese is semi synthetic oil but with a higher proportion of synthetic than the 4100 range.

The M1 is a tri-synthetic oil, there may be about 3% mineral oil to aid additive dilution.

Other than that it's a fully synthetic oil with each base oil bringing something to the party.

The euro oils like motul and fuchs would not have ANY group III in them. I'm saying this Mobil ESP s not full synthetic ** except for the Americas. Not saying its BAD just that not synthetic which would cost over 12e per litre.

** if the SDS is to be believed - it could be just a cut and paste "office error"

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Bjornviken

not in a VW or MB, Porsche engine...

It just missing the approval and it would likely not work with diesel with DPF .

and it doesnt have the visual and tracer dye.

But

I'm sure the Motul I'm running in my small VW turbo engine has absolutely nothing on M1EP in formulation .

VW 508 00 is a mid saps, long drain LOW HTHS light weight lubricant.

Nothing "special"

Very American.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by edyvw

M! EP is a real sythetyci oil, this ESP is not.

M1 EP had been 70-80% PAO just a couple years ago.

Not saying PAO is the last word, but M1EP meets the Euro requirement for
Vollsynthetisch Labeling.

How is this new Mobil ESP labeled in Germany and France since its really a " technosynthese " Semi synthetic product

Last edited:
Originally Posted by edyvw

M! EP is a real sythetyci oil, this ESP is not.

M1 EP had been 70-80% PAO just a couple years ago.

Not saying PAO is the last word, but M1EP meets the Euro requirement for
Vollsynthetisch Labeling.

How is this new Mobil ESP labeled in Germany and France since its really a " technosynthese " Semi synthetic product

No, Mobil1 EP is not real synthetic. Amount of PAO in EP depends on grade, 0W20 has most amount, others less, and currently stands at 30-40%.
PAO is not indication of excellent final product. Mobil1 ESP Formula 5W30 had VISOM base, being GrIII majority, but it was by far best VW504.00/507.00 oil.
THERE IS NO EURO REQUIREMENT!
Only Germany has that law, and this oil is labeled SHC- Synthese-Motorenöl.
SHC stands for-Synthetic Hydro Cracked.

It just missing the approval and it would likely not work with diesel with DPF .

But

I'm sure the Motul I'm running in my small VW turbo engine has absolutely nothing on M1EP in formulation .

Nothing "special"

Very American.

And m1 EP will not work in a diesel engine even without dpf since its a ilsac gf 5 oil...

But

Nothing "special"

Very American.

And m1 EP will not work in a diesel engine even without dpf since its a ilsac gf 5 oil...

The Mobil 1 EP is CF rated. A very basic diesel spec, but, Mobil 1 EP does meet it.

Says According to imperialoil M1 EP is of the following oil quality CF, not sure if it a real spec. Still would not use a ilsac gf 5 oil in a diesel. Ussually its says on the label recommended for gasoline and diesel engines. Dont think mobil1 ep is even recommended for diesel engines.

Back