M1 ESP 0W30 vs M1 ESP 5W30

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am just wondering as to which applications one would select one over the other as both have similar manufacturer approvals and specs.

Last edited:
5w30 available at CT in jugs, they go on sale for about $35, that makes the choice easy unless you actually need the 0w living up north

price? spec??

my R ('19) specifically calls out 0W30 504, so if I wanted to follow the letter of the spec I'd go for that--but the real reason for me is that I found it at Napa for $5.99.

If you're in a really cold climate and parked outside though, the pumpability of the 0W is certainly going to be better in extremely low temps. Noack is lower on the 5W30, though I honestly doubt it makes much difference. I think it's splitting hairs, though that's the point of an oil forum...

Originally Posted by 21Rouge
I am just wondering as to which applications one would select one over the other as both have similar manufacturer approvals and specs.

5w-30 esp have better tbn and noack, and more approvals.
And the m1 0w-30 esp mrv is not really impressive...

Originally Posted by Bjornviken

5w-30 esp have better tbn and noack, and more approvals.
And the m1 0w-30 esp mrv is not really impressive...

A bit interesting that the KV at 100C is greater in the 0W30 then the 5W30.

Originally Posted by Jimmy_Russells
5w30 available at CT in jugs, they go on sale for about $35, that makes the choice easy unless you actually need the 0w living up north

I keep looking for a sale but I havent seen one for a bit now.

Originally Posted by JOD

If you're in a really cold climate and parked outside though, the pumpability of the 0W is certainly going to be better in extremely low temps. Noack is lower on the 5W30,

And yet I see that the KV at 100C is more for the 0W30 than the 5W30.

(I cant seem to find a spec sheet for the ESP 5W30 that shows the KV at 40C).

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Imp4
See this easily Googleable prior thread.

"5w30 vs 0w30 - Bob Is The Oil Guy"

Mine is focussed on comparison of the the two M1 ESPs

Right. And it is directly answered in the thread I linked.
One chooses a 0w30 over a 5w30 when one needs better cold flow performance characteristics.

One may give up some hths performance, noack performance, or tbn but when true 0w cold flow performance is needed then it is a reasonable trade off.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by JOD

If you're in a really cold climate and parked outside though, the pumpability of the 0W is certainly going to be better in extremely low temps. Noack is lower on the 5W30,

in terms of really cold starts, MRV is not going to trump KV until you get below 0F (personally, I will never see those temps).

The 5W30 ESP I have on hand if the euro "Formula" version. This is what ECS is still selling. KV is roughly the same as the 0W30: https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4915232/1

Bottom line--price, availability and warranty compliance are the main drivers for me. If you see temps below 0F though, then it may be a different story.

Originally Posted by JOD
Originally Posted by JOD

in terms of really cold starts, MRV is not going to trump KV until you get below 0F (personally, I will never see those temps).

Although my location isn't crazy in terms of cold, there will always be some days each winter where the temp will go below 0F. Even this past mild winter we did see -4 F. Actually I was more thinking about compare and contrast for summer driving. And that's when I noticed that the KV at 100 C was more for the 0W30 than the 5W30 (albeit not much it 12 vs 11.8)

Originally Posted by JOD
The 5W30 ESP I have on hand if the euro "Formula" version.

This isn't made anymore. I think now it is just called ESP.

Originally Posted by Jimmy_Russells

I keep looking for a sale but I havent seen one for a bit now.

Whenever Mobil 1 goes on sale, so does the ESP. For some reason though the ESP is in a different category on its own, it's not with the regular M1 oils.

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/...hetic-motor-oil-4-73-l-0289448p.html#srp

I bought two jugs @ $37.99 in the fall and I have seen it as low as $34.99

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back