M1 ESP 0W-30 vs M1 ESP x2 0W-20

For a while I had considered a 0w-30 instead of 0w-20 in my vehicles. I even found Mobil 1 ESP 0w-30 for less than $7/qt online. But when I compared the two, it appears Mobil 1 ESP X2 0w-20 may actually be a bit more robust. Not sure if this would apply to all VW oils specified as 504/507 and 508/509, but here is what I gathered from the product spec sheets for the two M1 products.

Grade_______________________________ Phosphorus________Zinc_________HTHS_________ASH__________TBN
Mobil1 ESP X2 0w20 VW 508/509_______ 880____________950___________2.6___________ .8___________ 12.1
Mobil 1 ESP 0w-30 VW504/507__________800____________ 900__________ 3.5___________ .8____________ 7.6

The TBN for the 0w-20 is from a VOA by Blackstone I found here at BITOG. Mobil 1 ESP X2 0W20 VOA (BITOG) It seems to be too high, but who knows. The HTHS viscosity of the 0w-20 may be an issue for some.

All things considered, I'll probably stick with the 0w-20, although the 0w-30 would probably be fine too. Given a choice for a 2020 VW 1.4 Tsi, what would you run?

Mobil 1 Engine Oil Product Guide (.pdf file)

I'd gladly take the significantly higher HT/HS over the little 50ppm of Zn any day, which is what I did for my new VW. That's what makes it "robust". The TBN difference is probably irrelevant considering today's fuels.

Also there in North Carolina the 5W-30 ESP is just as good and may be easier to find (it is here).
I thought I had listened to the Engineering Explained guy and he said the bottom number you really did not want to mess with? I still have some ESP 5w-30 leftover from when I had my Tdi that I'm going to run in my 2.8L Dumax as that is also Dexos2.

What's the bottom number? You mean the winter rating?

Which winter rating you choose is dictated by the expected starting temperatures. The difference between an oil with a 0W and a 5W rating is only significant below -30F or so. If you aren't starting at that temperature then it won't make a significant difference.

My Gorn coffee mug is on the bottom shelf of my wife's fine china cabinet and it's only used about twice a year :)

What's the bottom number? You mean the winter rating?

Which winter rating you choose is dictated by the expected starting temperatures. The difference between an oil with a 0W and a 5W rating is only significant below -30F or so. If you aren't starting at that temperature then it won't make a significant difference.

My Gorn coffee mug is on the bottom shelf of my wife's fine china cabinet and it's only used about twice a yea
I found the video Will Thinner Oils Damage Your Engine? and I was wrong. He stated going lower on the 2nd number, was probably not a good idea. Pretty good video to watch from the start.

I have a Gorn bobble head I've had for many years in my man cave. :)

For a turbo VW that gets driven hard I'd want the thicker 0w30 also. VW 504 is at the top of any specification for wear protection, a good idea with a turbo. The 0w30 also has a good shot of trinuclear moly and a boat load of boron. By comparison I don't know what's in the 0w20 I don't use 20 grades.

There isn't really a lose here though, both are fantastic lubes.

T
For a turbo VW that gets driven hard I'd want the thicker 0w30 also. VW 504 is at the top of any specification for wear protection, a good idea with a turbo. The 0w30 also has a good shot of trinuclear moly and a boat load of boron. By comparison I don't know what's in the 0w20 I don't use 20 grades.

There isn't really a lose here though, both are fantastic lubes.
he VOA for the ESP X2 0w-20 has boron at 293 ppm and moly at 75 ppm. I could not locate a VOA for the ESP 0w-30 but I suspect the numbers would be roughly the same.

The VOA for the ESP X2 0w-20 has boron at 293 ppm and moly at 75 ppm. I could not locate a VOA for the ESP 0w-30 but I suspect the numbers would be roughly the same.
exactly. I would say that those two oils are based on the same additive technology with different base oils ratio.
More Mobil VOAs are here https://www.oil-club.ru/forum/topic/919-масла-mobil-общая/
You can open hidden text and find out a list of products:
Лабораторные анализы - Свежие - VOA oil-club.ru
Показать содержимое

all 0w-16 and 0w-20 contain Mo, Ti, or W additives to add antiwear formula. Often the wear in used oil analysis are better than 0w-30 or 5w-30. Besides that, most 0w-20 are from very good base stock

I could not locate a VOA for the ESP 0w-30 but I suspect the numbers would be roughly the same.

index.php

The ESP 0W-30 is now available in the 5-quart jugs at AAP for
You can have it shipped or pick up in store. You do have to buy online though.

I snagged 5 jugs today.

Thanks to @blufeb95 for the heads-up.

Now that I’ve bought it (lol), I need to research the differences between this and the 5W-30.

I would have rather had the 5W-30 version for its lower Noack, lower VM content, and thicker base oil. But this will work great in our Toyota V6s, especially in the warmer months.

Glad inflation doesn’t seem to have affected motor oil prices.

Now if I can just find a source for Fram Ultra oil filters for less than the $15 I’ve been paying (XG10158 for the 4Runner).

I snagged 5 jugs today.

Now that I’ve bought it (lol), I need to research the differences between this and the 5W-30.

I would have rather had the 5W-30 version for its lower Noack, lower VM content, and thicker base oil. But this will work great in our Toyota V6s, especially in the warmer months.

Now if I can just find a source for Fram Ultra oil filters for less than the $15 I’ve been paying (XG10158 for the 4Runner).
Why not get the Fram Titanium from AAP and use the codes? Regular price for FS10158 is just a bit over $15 each, and they are same as XG. Plus if you bought that much from AAP, they’ll be sending $5 coupons soon as speedperks.

I snagged 5 jugs today.

I hope that M1 0w20 ESP will be sold in 5 quart jugs in the future at AAP or some other common retailer. That would be so amazing and I would definitely spend the bucks on it, TAKE MY MONEY!!! 💲💵💸💳

Back