M1 EP vs PP vs PUP 0w20

Been browsing these threads for a few weeks now and haven’t seen this discussed, so I apologize if this has been answered already.
Sort of a two part question I have.

I’ve been using M1 HM 0w20 because it’s all my local WM has had in stock for awhile now, for M1 products in 5 qts, would M1 EP be worth the extra to pay at say a local parts store?

But, I’ve also seen PP 0w20 on the shelves all the time so I’ve been tempted to pick some of that up. I see a lot of other members really like PUP. Would PUP be that much better than standard Platinum? Because I never have seen those on shelves anywhere.

Wanted some more expert opinions and/or data to support my decision. Been doing 5k OCI but would not be opposed to extending it with an oil that offers that. Thank you!

M1 Ep here. Always had great luck with their oils. I moved over to their 0w20 ep because of the high pro content, but I've heard that's now recently changed?

Its cold temperature performance, primarily (it also better resists oxidation, but that's not as significant).
What I am getting at is PAO doesn't provide the best wear performance and how many people would appreciate the cold weather performance and how many people push their oil change intervals far enough? I do not see pao as being of any major significance in an engine oil other that to meet a certain performance point. After all PAO is a man made copy of a petroleum oil molecule.

Yes, they've reduced PAO content in EP. Doesn't make it a "lesser" oil though (does make it a bit less attractive for extreme cold though).
I’d assume even with the reduced content it would be more effective in the cold, than the shell oils that don’t offer any?

What I am getting at is PAO doesn't provide the best wear performance and how many people would appreciate the cold weather performance and how many people push their oil change intervals far enough? I do not see pao as being of any major significance in an engine oil other that to meet a certain performance point. After all PAO is a man made copy of a petroleum oil molecule.
Wear performance of all base oils is poor, that's why we have additive packages. If you are in a situation/live in a location where the Winter rating slipping a grade could be problematic; lead to a slow start, then it's germane.

A 0W-xx based with PAO can also begin with a heavier base oil blend and subsequently use less VII.

While these things may not be significant for some people, they may be for others, so I think it's good that we discuss them.

I've been wanting get a jug of EP for my next oil change, but no one here has a jug of 5W30 EP Gen 3 on the shelves. I want the newest incarnation of it.

Does Shell's GTL not have excellent cold flow though? I thought GTL was right there with PAO
No, GTL has less wax in it than more typical group III bases, but it still has wax and still requires PPD's. PAO has absolutely no wax.

Some examples:
The Pour Point for GTL 4 is -30C, while it is -60C for PAO 4.
The Pour Point for GTL 5 is -24C, while it is -57C for PAO 5.
The Pour Point for GTL 8 is -15C, while it is -48C for PAO 8.

Last edited:
Based on what people say around here, and my own experiences using Mobil1 EP, I’d go for the Mobil over the Pennzoil. I’ve used both - which tells you I’ve had no problems with either - but Mobil1 EP is the only one I’ve taken to 10,000 miles (and my UOA was phenomenal). Maybe the Pennzoil would have given similar results? But when one says “good for 20,000 miles”, and it comes from the biggest manufacturer in the oil business, you have to assume it’s better. IMO

No, GTL has less wax in it than more typical group III bases, but it still has wax and still requires PPD's. PAO has absolutely no wax.

Some examples:
The Pour Point for GTL 4 is -30C, while it is -60C for PAO 4.
The Pour Point for GTL 5 is -24C, while it is -57C for PAO 5.
The Pour Point for GTL 8 is -15C, while it is -48C for PAO 8.
What about NOACK performance between the two? Back when Pennzoil first starting using GTL I remember this place going nuts over how incredible SOPUS's NOACK was.

Back