M1 EP to Shell Ultra ???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

I drive a 2014 Kia forte (1.6 GDi) which is 40k miles on it. The Mobil 1 EP + Mobil 1 filter have been used for all my cars since 2007.

In this time I am considering to change it to the Shell ultra xxx for my Forte (K3 in Korea). Not because of any complain to the M1 EP, just for my quriosity. In addition the price is similar to M1 EP in Korea (about $8~9/bottle).

The problem is that there are so many products such as the Shell Ultra ECT, AL, AM, etc... I have no ideat what the differeces are.

Q1) Which Shell ultra xxx product is good for my Forte?
=> 1.6 GDi - only regular gas feeded.

Q2) Are Shell ultra and the Pennzoil ultra platinum twins?
=> It could be a rummer only in Korea but many users get confused.
According to the MSDS the specification of both is similar or the same.

Q3) Does the expensive oil filter such as M1 filter give any real benefit to the car?
=> I want to prolong the OCI to 10,000 miles or up to 15,000.

Thanks,

Ryan.

Last edited:
A solid high capacity filter will be good if extending your oci. I could be wrong but i believe Shell Ultra is nat gas based like the Pennz products. Why not give it a try? I like trying new oils, just for fun, not to solve anything.

We only get two Shell Helix Ultras here (Australia) and yes they GTL - Pure Plus synthetics. It sounds like you get a few more than me.

We have Shell Helix Ultra 5W-40 that a full SAPS oil with A3/B4, MB 229.5, BMW LL-01, etc. This is equivalent to the M1 0W-40 oil.

The other is Shell Helix Ultra 5W-30 ECT. This is low SAPS Emission Compatible Technology oil that is MB 229.51 and BMW LL-04. To me this is more of a diesel DPF friendly oil. This is equivalent to the M1 ESP oil.

Which M1 EP are you using at the moment ? 5W-30?
What specs does it have ? A1/B1 or A3/B3 or C3 or SN / GF-5 or Dexos etc ? Try and find a Shell Helix product that has the same specs as the M1 product you are using now.

I too enjoy trying a different oil every now and then.

Use 5W40...5W30 oil...acea A3/B4 with BMW and/or MB specs on it...

IF you notice any problems with ash foulings on valves...or on injectors...then switch to ACEA C3 oils...again with BMW and/or MB specs on it!

From time to time add some valve and injector cleaner into fuel...

I must admit...that here in EU I would use low saps oil in that type (GDI/TGDI) of engine (acea C3)...but due to higher sulphur content in US gasoline...I have chosen A3/B4 variant!

Change your oil on 10-15.000kms
...rather on 10.000kms!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back