M1 EP and 20K oci

Status
Not open for further replies.
On Mobil's website, when you go to the product data sheet for any of the EP products it states:

"Mobil 1 Extended Performance 5W-30, and 5W-50 are advanced performance synthetic engine oils designed to help provide protection and performance at extended oil change intervals of up to 20,000 miles or 1 year, whichever comes first."

I guess we are to assume that 5W30 and 5W50 are good for 20K, everything else for 15K?

I would ignore that for now. Their new PDS's will be out end of Q2. They are making the 5w20 SN too. I'm not sure why it's taking them so long.

key word: up to*

If that 97 Camry is a V6, you'll be pumping cake batter @ 20K.
And I assume the 2007 and 2008 are still under warranty?

Just use UOA's if you plan to stretch out your oci for that long.

No way I'd run anything to 20K. However, if the new EP is rated for 20K, I might be willing to go longer than the current 5K or so I'm doing on the 97. The 07 just came out of warranty so I'll be going longer than 5K on it. The Volvo gets M10W40 at 7500 mile ocis.

Originally Posted By: dgee

LOL!! That is the truth! I love my M1 EP but you are right it all depends on a lot of factors.

If that 97 Camry is a V6, you'll be pumping cake batter@ 20K.

LOL!!!! You just made my night with that! Hilarious

I use the severe service guidelines from my owners manual. 6 months for my M1 EP,which is 4300 miles each oci for me.

Its the "or 1 year" verbiage that gets ya. Anyone driving 20k in a year is probably on the highway a lot. In that type of situation, assuming the oil level was maintained, its feasible the oil could hold up for that long. Its constantly at operating temp, so fuel dilution and all the associated issues are minimized. Its the Amsoil philosophy...lets advertise a ridiculous OCI but mitigate it with time constraints...catch 22.

Either way, I don't say this to slam either oil...just to take a crack at their marketing approaches. I'm sure the SN M1EP is going to be some top notch stuff...as are Amsoils formulations.

Originally Posted By: FZ1
I use the severe service guidelines from my owners manual. 6 months for my M1 EP,which is 4300 miles each oci for me.

That seems like a waste. I'm running dino for 5,000 miles. What benefits do you get from running synthetic with your OCI?

+1

I'm sure it is a fantastic oil. I'm also sure words like "Up to" came straight from the legal dept. Follow the OM for oil change recommendations, not oil company verbage. Only under perfect conditions can that oil hold up that long. Where I live maybe 1 in 1000 people drive in those perfect conditions, I don't know any of them. If someone plans on doing extended drains a UOA is in order. Oil is still cheap, engine repair isn't.

I change a friends oil for him in is 03 Windstar 3.8 with 135K. He uses M1 5-30EP and does 15-16K OCIs. Two weeks ago we had to remove the lower intake manifold as it started leaking oil into the intake valves. Everthing was very clean. He has never done a UOA as it doesn't seem necessary, but we do a "One Drop Test" and it is always good.

Originally Posted By: steve20
M-1 is noted for keeping clean engine internals, wonder why the elevated iron levels in M-1 UOAs though

Lots of opinions, debates, and arguments, that's about it. We'll really never know why for sure. But when you're dealing in ppm it probably doesn't amount to a hill of beans.

Originally Posted By: tig1
I change a friends oil for him in is 03 Windstar 3.8 with 135K. He uses M1 5-30EP and does 15-16K OCIs. Two weeks ago we had to remove the lower intake manifold as it started leaking oil into the intake valves. Everthing was very clean. He has never done a UOA as it doesn't seem necessary, but we do a "One Drop Test" and it is always good.

Keep sharing these experiences. They're giving the motivation (and courage) to start stretching out my ocis.

I don't believe in 20k OCI with EP. Oil is cheap, replacement engine cost thousands.

I rather do x3 7,000 OCI with the Dino $2/QT. 3 oil changes will cost only about $40- $45.

Originally Posted By: whip
Originally Posted By: FZ1

That seems like a waste. I'm running dino for 5,000 miles. What benefits do you get from running synthetic with your OCI?
Waste of what? I get,marginally,better mpg,so the synthetic pays for itself. I get the usual benefits of syn over conv.

"Up to..." is the standard weasel phrase used by most of them, isn't it? The last time I took the time read fine print on some of the oils touting 15k etc OCIs, all based the "up to" not only on a "or 1 year (or 6 months, depending on brand and product" but also the caveat that you follow the relevant service schedule specified by the OEM. In which case, 20k is an ideal match for any car whose OEM also specs 20k or 1 year. But otherwise, I would rather stick to something close to the relevant OEM recommendation. If its 5k then this stuff is a waste to me (but we are each free to spend our oil bucks as we see fit).

-Spyder

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back