M1 detergent observations

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just did a cam swap in my 2000 Firebird this weekend have have to comment on how clean the engine was.

I have been useing 0W30 since about 600 miles and it now has 40K miles. No issues at all with oil consumption. I'm not easy at all on this car, it's seen around 150 1/4 mile passes, about the same amont of AutoX passes and a crapload of play on the street and the N.Ga. mountains.

The guy that did the cam swap {don't worry, I was watching and learning
wink.gif
} commented on how clean the engine was and how good of shape the timing chain was in, said it was a shame to replace it with the new one. Really, there were no deposits at all, not even the reddish-brown deposits that wipe off.

Very happy!

I think there needs to be a distinction between 1. running clean with synthetics and 2. cleaning ability.

Although I do believe #1. is very possible, #2 is a different story...I didn't see much visible cleaning with the standard M-1 products until Delvac 1 was used.

quote:

Originally posted by Dr. T:
I think there needs to be a distinction between 1. running clean with synthetics and 2. cleaning ability.

Although I do believe #1. is very possible, #2 is a different story...I didn't see much visible cleaning with the standard M-1 products until Delvac 1 was used.

Good point on Delvac 1 and the extra detergents. I've known truckers who have switched a Cat or Cummins with +60,000 miles over to Delvac 1.

All the built-up soot was knocked loose and plugged the oil filters.

If you run Delvac 1 from new, the motor should last forever. My 1984 Ford F-150 is still kicking away at +500,000km.

I just wish the CI-4 reformulation of D1 hadn't made it so thick. I'm sure it's fine in moderate climate, but it's no longer a good "cold" oil.

I first started using Delvac 1 just for the cold temp performance in my HD equipment. Things sure change ... may have to switch to Esso XD-3 0W-40 for winter.

Jerry

quote:

Originally posted by KW:
The synthetics normally run very clean. How often did you change the oil?

I average 6-7K miles between changes now. The first few changes were very short intervals just to make sure to get rid of any break-in debris.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back