M1 cleaner than conventional oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by Alan:
I love internally clean engines and the feeling I get knowing that I really have a top notch oil under the hood even if it's in a Corolla
dunno.gif

Hey, I resemble that remark
mad.gif

I selected 3000 miles as an example of an oci that is not even considered extreme. Is 5000 on Mobil 1 more realistic? How about 2500 mile intervals on Mororcraft, Chevron Supreme or Pennzoil to compare? I am thinking 4q of Mogul 1 and a filter is about $25. 8 quarts of top-notch $1.89 dino and two five-dollar filters costs the same. The "big" difference in labour is every other change and my cars are all pretty easy anyway. My worthless no-skill labour for 5 minutes is no big deal considering some here report they enjoy the experience. So, Chevron Supreme or better every 2500 miles vs Mobil 1 every 5000 miles, anyone want to interpret the UOAs of a GII+ oil at that interval? Would the "dino" oil do THAT much worse that I look like a fool for even suggesting it?

Cold-cranking is better with the full synthetic, I might use it only once a year in winter though.

quote:

Audi Junkie:

Suddenly, discourse is limited to random accounts of apparent visual condition of engines whose full service history is unknown. Let's not get too serious guys. "...yep, 90,000 miles on expensive synthetic and my engine looks and runs great." Implying what?

The question was:

"Is it a fact that M1 will keep a new engine cleaner (internally) than conventional oil?"

If I run my engine 90,000 miles on expensive synthetic and my engine looks and runs great, we've established one data point that M1 keeps an engine clean.

In controlled tests, which Mobil has published enough times (with pictures) comparing their oil with mineral oils, Mobil 1 kept engines cleaner.

As I noted earlier in the thread, this is no surpise - synthetics were passing double and even triple API test sequences 30 years ago.

The reasons include the fact that much of the gunk we find in engines is a product of the oil itself breaking down - and synthetics don't break down in the same way and to the same degree as mineral oils.

Another reason is that synthetics, with their homogenous molecules, do a better job of holding dirt and contaminants in suspension.

Some synthetics are themselves effective solvents - polyolesters being particularly noted for cleaning up old deposits.

Mineral oils have gotten better.

It's also true that to some extent it's a beauty contest - a little gunk doesn't hurt anything.

But, again, the man asked:

"Is it a fact that M1 will keep a new engine cleaner (internally) than conventional oil?"

quote:

Originally posted by Marty:
Is it a fact that M1 will keep a new engine cleaner (internally) than conventional oil?"

Given the same OCI, I'm 100% sure that M1 will keep an engine cleaner in comparison to a mineral PCMO.

I don't believe anyone can honestly argue this...

05corolla,

My paste job above is from another post I did. As you can see from the numbers most people are going from a base unit price (quart)instead of the overall, yearly, cost analysis. Thats why I crunched the numbers so people can see that in my case example dino at a 3/3 cost more to use than synthetics at 6/6.

You can get Mobil1 at WalMart for $19.88 for 5 quart container. $19.88 divided by 5= $3.97 a quart. Castrol GTX is somewhere about $1.60 a quart. $1.60 at 5 = $8.00. Now that is a conservative number for GTX since in some places it sells for $1.80 a quart. $1.80 at 5 = $9.00. You then add $5.00 for a Wix filter.

I don't really get the money arguement. I'm far from wealthy, but the difference of about $10 per oil change to insure you're getting the best protection seems worth it to me.

Then factoring in your labor or time it takes to get your car serviced seems a little extreme.

What about my Psychotherapy costs and stress management training I'll need knowing I didn't get the best protection that I can resonably afford?

quote:

In controlled tests, which Mobil has published enough times (with pictures) comparing their oil with mineral oils, Mobil 1 kept engines cleaner

Ummm, are they talking about the same oci? I HOPE Mobil 1 runs cleaner because they charge 2-3-4 times what normal oils cost. For those who have difficulty with grasping the concept, I was comparing M1 against top-flite GII+/III changed TWICE as frequently, not Mobil's own pathetic Drive Clean Oil. Somehow, 2500 mile intervals on Chevron Supreme will result in a dirty engine? For you people who "don't get the economics" ($1800!) or have to factor in a substantial cost for their own labour during a 5 minute oil change, I don't know what to say, you just are brainwashed into thinking "Nothing Beats Mobil 1".
dunno.gif

Are you BitOG regulars going on the record saying 2500 mi intervals of Chevron Supreme will result in a dirty engine?

I use Chevron Supreme 10W30, and before that Castrol GTX. I change the oil and filter every 3000-3500 miles, and my engine is pretty clean.
I did do an AutoRX treatment, but haven't seen any difference.

Audi,

You like arguments don't you? First off my oil changes take more than 5 minutes and to say it takes 5 minutes is outrageous! Second if it cost me $900.00+- dollars for for synthetic changes over 18 years as compared to $900.00+- for dino changes in the same 18 year period, what cost more? Remember 3/3 dino or 6/6 synthetic using oil cost and filter only. Now factor frequency of changes over 18 years. You have 72 changes with dino and 36 with synthetic. Now factor in the the wear on the vehicle with oil change frequency, such as silicone contamination improper fluid levels, etc.. Now lets go over wastage of resources, 72 changes at 5 quarts = 360 quarts of dino as apposed to 36 changes with synthetic at 5 quarts = 180 quarts. Now lets look at lost productivity using 1 hour per change. The dino would be 72 hours as compared to 36 hours synthetics.

But hey its all relative, we need consumers to consume dino as well as synthetics. It keeps everything on a happy balance.
grin.gif

"lost productivity"
dunno.gif
We here are all guilty of that.

I did not say dino oil would be cheaper, just better considering the mechanical act of draining contaminates out twice as often. That is mostly what I wanted to discuss in this thread. It's a strait-forward economic issue. How is the set budget for maintenance best spent, that is hardly ground-breaking discussion here. What I would be arguing on the synthetic side is all the published info by Mercedes on their 229.3 Sequence going 10,000 mi intervals verses their 228.3 Sequence on HDEO where there is also a sludge stipulation. Is the allowable sludge the same? I don't have that info, but someone does. Personally, I'd rather 5000 miles on HDEO compared to 10,000 on synth. Just a guess.
cheers.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Audi Junkie:
HDEO...HDEO...

I woke up in the middle of the night, sweating like crazy, with this overwhealming urge to turn the computer on and go visit BiTOG; now I know why! No one else say the magic words for at least five hours...
sleeping.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back