M1 basestock group, did we get a concensus?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hope so. I'm trying to counter
this and I need hard facts.

The 0w40 M1 will be fine, its a group 3 oil. Its what i'm currently using in my 2nd clean phase in my 1.8t A4. Got it when it was on sale for 5 qts + M1 filter for $30.

I think the fact that there are hardly any 0W-40s tells us something (vs lower VI 5W-40s).

I have a gut feel it's mainly PAO but I need more than that. It's main competition in Australia is Castrol Edge 0W40 and it's PAO but that means little I guess.

Does it matter?

Mobil 1 0w-40 is factory fill in most European vehicles, and it's proven here via UOA.

My brother just bought a Mercedes S500 (MY 2001), and it's what I put in.

Shell Helix Ultra that gets poured in Ferraris isn't "technically" group IV. Would you not trust it simply for that fact?

OVERKILL, am I a hypocrite or what!
LOL.gif

Oh, and based off the Japan MSDSs posted, it appears to have more group IV then the other grades. It's a kick butt long drain oil. Search for the Porsche Cayenne factory and second UOA with like 20,000 miles each.

Ya it doesn't really matter and it's probably a mix of base oils as they claim.

Ike had a serious impact on Mobil's pao production so that could also be why. Temporary switch.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
Does it matter?

Mobil 1 0w-40 is factory fill in most European vehicles, and it's proven here via UOA.

My brother just bought a Mercedes S500 (MY 2001), and it's what I put in.

Shell Helix Ultra that gets poured in Ferraris isn't "technically" group IV. Would you not trust it simply for that fact?

OVERKILL, am I a hypocrite or what!
LOL.gif

Hehehehe
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: sprintman

The 0w40 M1 will be fine, its a group 3 oil. Its what i'm currently using in my 2nd clean phase in my 1.8t A4. Got it when it was on sale for 5 qts + M1 filter for $30.

You bought an A4? What happened to your BMW?

where'd you buy that!

Based on talking to a ExxonMobil rep/employee at the Monterey Historic races a few years ago...

M1's best oils in the US are the 5w40 TDT/D1 and 0w40. At the time I was working for MB and was primarily interested in the 0w40 since it's what we put in ALL MB cars at the time. According to him 0w40 is primarily PAO (2/3 or more) with a bit of Grp 3 for the additive package (more compatible) and a bit of Grp 5 for seal conditioning. It was his opinion that any oil that was FACTORY APPROVED for >10k OCI's is a very good oil that is likely made up of mostly PAO.

Apparently most Grp 3 oils are on par with PAO for lubricity, but fall a bit short with higher oil temps and are unsuitable for such extended drain intervals.

Guys can we keep this 'on topic'? I need definitive proof M1 0W40 is mainly PAO or whatever as per my original post. Talking about the wonders of M1 15W50, which I gree witrh by the way, isn't helping. Thanks..s

Guys can we keep this 'on topic'? I need definitive proof M1 0W40 is mainly PAO

what was posted is as good as it gets man,i don't think anyone knows for 100% sure, how could we? it's a killer great oil,go with it.

Doug Hillary seems to have the inside track on some of this due to his close dealings with Mobil and personal use of this oil and others, and has mentioned IIRC that the 0W-40 is mainly group IV/V. I would not doubt that it has a small shot of something else like group II/III or AN for additive solubility, but that is speculation.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bmwtechguy
Doug Hillary seems to have the inside track on some of this due to his close dealings with Mobil and personal use of this oil and others, and has mentioned IIRC that the 0W-40 is mainly group IV/V. I would not doubt that it has a small shot of something else like group II/III or AN for additive solubility, but that is speculation.

There ya go can't get any better/closer then that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back