M1 AFE 0W30 NOACK?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know this is probably a lost cause, but...many of us have noticed that Exxon/Mobil does not provide NOACK values for its oils.
I have been poking around for info on this oil as a possible winter fill for when I am out of warranty and have found most of the information I want...except for NOACK. The Russian oil club that has so many good VOAs listed does not seem to have looked at this oil (maybe it's not sold there?) and I haven't seen any other VOAs for it that check NOACK. The PQIA does not seem to have looked at this oil, either...they seem to focus on 0W20, 5W30, and 15W40 in general.
Has anybody seen a NOACK for M1 AFE 0W30?? I think it must be under 13% given that it is a dexos1 oil...

Doesn't look like a NOACK test is even an option for Blackstone...figured I could have just asked them to do a VOA on a sample they could procure locally at my expense, I would imagine that the M1 flavors do not vary across the US (unlike, say, Supertech). I have gotten curious enough about this to pay a few bucks for an answer, although it would have to be within reason...probably would only run it in winter if I decided to try it.

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
Doesn't look like a NOACK test is even an option for Blackstone...figured I could have just asked them to do a VOA on a sample they could procure locally at my expense, I would imagine that the M1 flavors do not vary across the US (unlike, say, Supertech). I have gotten curious enough about this to pay a few bucks for an answer, although it would have to be within reason...probably would only run it in winter if I decided to try it.

I believe Noack tests are actually quite expensive to conduct, which is why these specs ar available only from the manufacturer or an organization with access to resources, like PQIA.

It's probably under 10% since M1 0w20 is around 10% and 0w30 will be thicker. If you want an even lower NOACK, keep using M1 5w30 since it uses an even thicker base stock.

Originally Posted By: Danh
I believe Noack tests are actually quite expensive to conduct,

Yup. I've seen some labs quote $500 for it (ASTM D5800 test).

Well, I thought I had made some progress here, as I found that there is a Mobil 0W30 that meets the MB229.5 spec and must, therefore, be under 10% NOACK.
But, the table I found just lists the oil as "Mobil 1 FS 0W-30"...I assume that FS=Full Synthetic.
But, is this the AFE or ESP variety? I have checked the US, UK, and Germany, and Mobil does not appear to market a "plain" 0W30 in any of those countries...only AFE or ESP for all three.
The M1 0w30 ESP is not low calcium, so I would not choose it for my DIT engine. It would be really great if the AFE 0W30 I can buy in jugs at WalMart was lower than 10% NOACK!!
I'm not sure how to crack this nut...BTW, the list also mentions a Mobil 1 New Life 0W30 that I also did not find on the US, UK, or German marketing lists.
??????

MB 229.5 Oils

Last edited:
I haven't looked at a Mobil 1 PDS in a long time. I thought after reading a few threads here they were the most comprehensive and up to date PDS sheets from any of the majors. I wouldn't sweat the NOACK too much unless you have an oil burner. It meets the Dexos spec so the NOACK should be good. Besides there's more to good oil than just NOACK.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I haven't looked at a Mobil 1 PDS in a long time. I thought after reading a few threads here they were the most comprehensive and up to date PDS sheets from any of the majors. I wouldn't sweat the NOACK too much unless you have an oil burner. It meets the Dexos spec so the NOACK should be good. Besides there's more to good oil than just NOACK.
wink.gif

I agree, <13% NOACK is pretty good and it is not the only thing to look at in oil...just probably wouldn't switch from 5W30 (standard or EP) unless I knew the NOACK wasn't much different for 0W30 AFE. M1 5W30 has been getting me through my cold ski trips OK, figured I would try the 0W30 AFE if it matched or was close to it for the other things I care about.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
wink.gif

I agree, div>

I realize our hands are tied and it can be frustrating since we are at the oil company's mercy with the data they choose to provide. $500 is a lot of wood for a person to shell out to find out what the NOACK is. Good luck in your quest.

Originally Posted By: wemay
I thought "FS" stands for Fuel Savings.

Looks like the term used for the German oil is "Fuel Economy", and it actually looks like a totally different oil from the AFE in the US.
Much higher TBN (11 to 9.1), 1.4% sulfated ash compared to 0.9%, etc. I also note that the Mobil website does not claim the "FE" 0W30 is MB 229.5 compliant (the same is true for US AFE).

Maybe I should just drop this...

Originally Posted By: wemay
How about Synpower...

Valvoline Synpower w/MLT shows 9.3% for 5w20, 10.2% for 5w30 and 6.3% for 10w30. Valvoline Synpower shows their 5w20 and 5w30 to have Noack of 10%.

http://www.valvoline.com/our-products/motor-oil/full-synthetic-max-life

http://www.valvoline.com/our-products/motor-oil/syn-power-full-synthetic

May be my next oil

Those look like good oils, just a little too much calcium for me. Being extra careful about LSPI...next change will be M1 5W30 EP, then I will be out of warranty and will feel free to use whatever weight I want. Assuming I don't find some good news about M1 0W30 AFE, I will probably end up using M1 5W30 ESP in the summer and stick with the EP mentioned above in the winter...but, I am still searching around for a 0W30 I would feel comfortable trying. Freaked out with the ESP before because my engine ran hotter with it, but I am comfortable with that now if it happens again (it's probably just the higher HTHS) it it's supposed to have a NOACK around 6%.

Last edited:

Maybe I should just drop this...

Subaru Japan continues to allow higher SAPS 5W-40 and Euro 0W-30 for the DIT's.
http://www.subaru.jp/accessory/engine_oil/

Then again, Subaru's record on oil and turbo issues hasn't exactly been spotless.
grin2.gif

Last edited:
It seems Mobil and Valvoline are the easiest to look up their PDS they are upfront with their stuff.. Some other companies make it very hard to find a recent PDS... I guess mobil And Valvoline don't have anything to hide like others may. Just my opinion of course.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
It seems Mobil and Valvoline are the easiest to look up their PDS they are upfront with their stuff.. Some other companies make it very hard to find a recent PDS... I guess mobil And Valvoline don't have anything to hide like others may. Just my opinion of course.

I can't say that any of the major companies I have looked at are all that generous with their info...seems weird to me that I end up looking at VOAs from some Russian oil club and trusting that they are kosher. What else do I have to go by?

Guess I am developing an oil stash, just saw a listing on Amazon for 12 liters of M1 5W30 ESP at the equivalent of about $7.70 a quart and I pounced. Will be set for my spring and summer changes. This winter will be the EP in the same grade, maybe by next year I'll have dug up a 0W30 to try. Probably won't make a whit's worth of difference to my car, but I have fun doing my "research".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back