M1 AFE 0W-20 now available in Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw it in my local Cdn Tire today, in both 1L and 4.4L bottles. The 1L goes for $10.99 and the 4.4L jug for $47.99.

Well I suppose that's good news, although we do have plenty of much cheaper 0W-20 offerings. For example the 0W-20's from Toyota and Honda are half that price.

About the only reason to choose M1 that I can see is for it's exceptionally low MRV spec' and that would be if you routinely start your vehicle unaided at temp's of -30C and lower.

M1 AFE 0W-30 is not yet available.

thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
I saw it in my local Cdn Tire today, in both 1L and 4.4L bottles. The 1L goes for $10.99 and the 4.4L jug for $47.99.

Well I suppose that's good news, although we do have plenty of much cheaper 0W-20 offerings. For example the 0W-20's from Toyota and Honda are half that price.

That's why I'm running Toyota 0w20 in my Civic, it's only $5.65 per liter, and it's proven itself on here to be a great oil, so how can anyone justify spending double that amount for M1?

I've noticed PP 0w20 is now available at Walmart for around $9.20 or so, and I've seen it in a few CT stores too (at a higher price of course)

I do wonder how much longer the Toyota dealers are going to sell the 0w20 that cheap though. With everyone else jacking up their oil prices up here this year (by major amounts too!) I'm shocked they haven't done so too.

I'll believe this when I see it. I've NEVER any M1 0W-20 in Ottawa anywhere, even though it has been listed on the Canadian mobil page for a while.

Best oil I've used in the Honda. Reduced oil consumption by 50%the so far. Hopefully will sample at 10k.

About the only reason to choose M1 that I can see is for it's exceptionally low MRV spec' and that would be if you routinely start your vehicle unaided at temp's of -30C and lower.

At that point, I'm worrying less about motor oil, more about relocating...

The XOM Toyota and M1 0W20 are equally priced down here, and based on that I still prefer the Toyota. At half the price? That would be an easy call.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
I'll believe this when I see it. I've NEVER any M1 0W-20 in Ottawa anywhere, even though it has been listed on the Canadian mobil page for a while.

We have it Regina, too, of all places. Then again, with our winters....

Originally Posted By: Patman

Toyota 0w20 in my Civic, it's only $5.65 per liter, and it's proven itself on here to be a great oil, so how can anyone justify spending double that amount for M1?
I've noticed PP 0w20 is now available at Walmart for around $9.20 or so, and I've seen it in a few CT stores too (at a higher price of course)
I do wonder how much longer the Toyota dealers are going to sell the 0w20 that cheap though. With everyone else jacking up their oil prices up here this year (by major amounts too!) I'm shocked they haven't done so too.

Actually Honda used to charge $7.67/L for their Idemitsu U.S. made 0W-20 but have dropped the price to $5.17/L and cheaper still if you buy a 12 pack case.
Mazda charge $5.95/L for their 0W-20.
So I don't see any trend with the Japanese OEMs charging more for the 0W-20 grade. IMO the cost is kept low to encourage clients to get in the habit of using the "new" grade.

But virtually all OEM oil grades now are cheaper at Canadian car dealers than what the brand name oil companies such as Mobil, Pennzoil, Castrol etc. charge to Canadian consumers.
This pricing discrepancy doesn't apply in the States.

The only advantage M1 would have over the Toyota oil is being able to handle extreme high temperatures, that no Toyota owner would ever even encounter. That is really M1's main benefit. Extreme cold too. All motor oils provide great engine wear protection today.

Well if you want to get technical, yes M1 is a much heavier oil than the Toyota 0W-20 for three reasons: It's not designed to shear, has a higher HTHS vis of 2.7cP and has a much lower VI of 173 vs 214. At 20C the Toyota oil will be about 30% lighter and 40% lighter at 0C vs M1 0W-20.

There is probabily more variation in what's available in the 0W-20 grade than any other SAE grade. The lightest SM/SN oil on the market is the Toyota brand 0W-20. The Idemitsu made Honda/Acura 0W-20 is much heavier, perhaps on par with the M1 0W-20 as I suspect is the Petro-Canada made (apparently) Mazda 0W-20.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back