Vehicle: 2014 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4
Engine: 5.3L V8 Ecotec3 (L83)
OCI mileage: 7,286 miles (151 hours)
OCI length: 3 months
OLM: 4%
Oil: Mobil 1 AFE 0W-20 (8 quarts)
Oil Filter: Fram Ultra XG10575
Make up oil: none
Driving conditions: 85/15 (Highway/City)

My thoughts: Lowest iron PPM I have seen so far. I am starting to notice some consumption over the last 2 OCI's. Not enough to make me want to add oil. If level is at top of cross hatch on dipstick after change it's near bottom of cross hatch at end of OCI. Maybe burned 3/4 of a quart if I had to guess (no leaks). Curiosity got the best of me so I decided to use M1 0W-30 for my next OCI. It's actually a mix of 2 quarts M1 0W-20 and 6 quarts M1 0W-30 (had 2 quarts of 0W-20 I needed to use up).

As always thank you so much for posting your results. I myself have considered going to a 0w-30 so I'll be very interested in if you notice any differences and how the results come out.

Originally Posted By: wha232
That is the correct amount of moly for Mobil AFE

You can see I haven't kept up on reading VOAs very well.
In the diesel world, Mobil 1 (Delvac) was exclusively non-molybdenum.
I'm glad to see they use that in their PCMOs.

You said it was starting to consume oil? About 3/4 to 1 QT over that 7200 miles doesnt seem like much but still odd. Mine still dont use a drop but only have 20k on my truck. Have always wondered about using a 30 in these. Interested to see how it goes. !

Oil looks serviceable with good wear rates though OLM says 4%.
OCI could possibly be further extended IMHO.

Wow you averaged over 48 mph on that run. Around here we're lucky to average 19-24 mph. Which is why making blanket statements like a good dino oil can easily go X miles, or a good synthetic oil can easily go y miles. Nice report btw.

^^^ totally agree with above----my wife's > daughter's > son's 2004 Tahoe averages 28 mph in suburban NJ. In the winter we are lucky to get 3200 OCI via the OLM.
A big thanks to OP for posting this, and the OCI UOA history
Steve

2 months ago (900 miles so far) purchased a 2016 Suburban LS 4x4 with this engine and was wondering myself how this engine would do with a 0w-30 or 5w-30. I was thinking of running the Mobil 1 0w-30 that I got on clearance from AutoZone for $2 quart during the summer months and return to 0w-20 for the colder months.

I know this engine was designed with 0w-20 in mind but may do well with Xw-30 during the warmer seasons.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back