M1 75w90 GL5 gear oil doesn't have a strong sulfur smell

This was my first time ever using GL5 gear oil for any reason, but I always hear that GL5 gear oils have a strong sulfur smell. The used gear oil I drained did have a strong smell, but the new M1 that went in doesn't have that smell, or at least not as strongly.

I changed the oil in both differentials (front and rear) of a 1998 Subaru Forester automatic. The automatic transmission is not shared with a differential (Subaru combines their manual transmission with the front diff, but they are separate in the automatics).

The rear diff is supposed to take .8 qt, but I was only able to add in about .2 qt before it started pouring out the fill plug (both the drain and fill plugs are sideways in the rear diff). What is the best way to fill the oil in these? There is no room to tilt the bottle up.

Level ground or get concrete pavers...11”x11” size and put them under the tires. I did that on our Pilot when I did the diff fluid change.

This was my first time ever using GL5 gear oil for any reason, but I always hear that GL5 gear oils have a strong sulfur smell. The used gear oil I drained did have a strong smell, but the new M1 that went in doesn't have that smell, or at least not as strongly.

I changed the oil in both differentials (front and rear) of a 1998 Subaru Forester automatic. The automatic transmission is not shared with a differential (Subaru combines their manual transmission with the front diff, but they are separate in the automatics).

The rear diff is supposed to take .8 qt, but I was only able to add in about .2 qt before it started pouring out the fill plug (both the drain and fill plugs are sideways in the rear diff). What is the best way to fill the oil in these? There is no room to tilt the bottle up.
In tight places I have used a trigger type oil can, filled it with gear oil and pump it in. It takes a while but gets the job done.

I have used GL5 gear oil that smelled like bananas. Didn't think much of it and poured it in.

Back