M1 5w30 or M1 10w30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All,

I just found this site and I think it is great!

I have a question for you all:

I have a 2004 Toyota Corolla (Manual trans). I've had the car for 4 months and I've put 13000 miles on it. I am using Mobil 1 5w30 every 5000 miles. Starting on the next oil change (15000) I'll start using the Mobil 1 oil filters.

My question is: Living in New Jersey, what are the advantages and disadvantages of using Mobil 1 5w30 over the 10w30?

Also, when would you recommend to use Auto-RX?

Thanks in advance for your responses and help.

-M

I have a 2001 Corolla with 155k+ miles on it (50k miles per year at one point
shocked.gif
). I've used both and found 10w-30 to control oil consumption much better. I'd use the 10w-30 all except the coldest part of winter.

How many miles are you averaging? You could also give Redline 10w-30 a shot. It's now available at Advance Auto Parts.
smile.gif

[ April 15, 2004, 08:11 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

I'm with buster. I'd use the 5w30 during the coldest winter months for maximum cold start-up protection and 10w30 the rest of the year as its a bit more shear stable for warmer weather. I have no experience with engine rinses so I'll defer.
welcome.gif

[ April 15, 2004, 11:54 PM: Message edited by: mikemc ]

welcome.gif
It's good to see another "Joiseyite" on the site. With your car having about 15,000 miles on it and using Mobil 1 I would not bother with the Auto-RX at this time. Your engine is probably spotless inside and your seals are like new. That is assuming this is not the "sludger" engine. But even if it is and you are using Mobil 1 at 5,000 mile OCI then it should still be clean. With Mobil 1 being a true synthetic I don't think that shearing of 5W-30 vs 10W-30 is a factor. If you were comparing 5W-30 and 10W-30 dino oils then shearing would be a factor. For convenience sake using 5W-30 all the time will mean you don't have to dump good oil just because the weather turned cold. But what viscousity does the owner's manual recommend?

Whimsey

We just got the 2004 Corolla also (auto trans). This engine is not one of Toyota's "sludge" engines. 5000 mile OCI with 5w-30 Mobil 1 year round would be fine. I may opt for 0-30 M1 in the winter however. It was brutal this January with a week of -20F to -40F (wind chill) weather.

I have read here that M1 10w-30 is just barely into the 30 viscosity range, so it is fine for all winter.
The summer months in NJ have been recently hotter on average than many parts of Florida, so I would go with the M1 15w-50 in June.
I know many on this board will disagree, but with a 5000 OCI, you may as well use a good dino and save your money!

I like the 10w-30. It has a higher flash point (244C/471F), vs the 5w-30's (224C/435F). So to me, that means less chance of deposit/varnish formation on the high temp areas/components of the engine.

Hi All,

Thanks for all your replies.

I've decided to use Mobil 1 10w-30 during the Spring/Summer/Fall months and Mobil 1 5w-30 during the Winter months. I am also using Mobil 1 oil filters. I just got them on the mail yesterday and they look really good.

Again, thanks for your help.

-M

quote:

Originally posted by 2x:
I may opt for 0-30 M1 in the winter however. It was brutal this January with a week of -20F to -40F (wind chill) weather.

No disrespect or flame intended here, but wind chill has no effect on cars, or anything inorganic for that matter. This is from the CBC News web site:

The wind doesn't actually change the temperature outside, but the temperature we feel is not the air temperature but our skin temperature. A person will sense that it's colder because the wind steals body heat by blowing away warm air that surrounds the skin. This means the wind chill factor is not a factor for inanimate objects like rocks, cars and snow – they will all maintain the same temperatures no matter how strongly the winds blow.

I use M1 5W30 year round in Texas on my 2002 Toyota Tacoma (3.4L V6). It can get over 100 degrees in the summer down here and its usually in the 90s for most of the summer. I change the oil at the max interval allowed in the manual (6 mos) which only comes out to about 4500 miles for me. I've had no issues and no consumption, although I've not done a UOA on this vehicle.

I'm probably going to stick to 5W30. Its what is recommended and like someone said above, with synthetics sheering is not as much of an issue. I may move up to 10W30 when I get bunch of miles on her--which at this rate will be 10 years. :)

Hello to all:
This is my first post.
I have reading through alot of the threads for the last week, before I registered.

I have been using M1 for the last 12 yrs in all my autos. From Lawnmowers to ATVs.

I just recently bought my wife a 04 Isuzu Axiom.
3.5L direct injection V6 (All Aluminum motor)

She just passed 500 miles, and yes I did a complete oil change plus filter.

owners Manual states.
5w-30 ----> -20F to 100F
10w-30----> 0F to 100F
Dino oil.

Since I use Mobil 1 and live in oklahoma where the winters are never really colder then -10F but in the summer it does reach over 100F at least 1 month during the summer.

And I was wondering if M1 5w and 10w are the right Viscosity grades to use in the synthetic grade?
or is the new M truck and suv 5w-40 a better choice?

I was thinking of becomeing a Amsoil dealer, for the fact Amsoil has more Viscosities to pick from as well as being better or equal to M1.

I thoughts and ideas will be appriciated...

I do change my oil 2 times a yr with M1.
once before winter and once before summer.

with filter change and adding to fill every 3k miles.

I would go with 10w30 to start. If you have hard starting in the winter, then change to a 5w30. M1 5w40 is a viable option, but is probably not necessary. Amsoil makes good stuff as well. The manufacturer's recommendations are for dino oil....not synthetic. Synthetics will work better at both ends of the temperature scale.
smile.gif

Thanks for your reply!

Well I was thinking maybe the synthetic 10W-30 might be to thin for the summer... maybe a mix of 10w-30 and a thicker Viscosity?

I plan on keeping this Axiom for the next 5 to 7 yrs, so I want to give the motor all the protection i can.

I U fellas say the 10W-30 will work fine, I will take your word for it. M1 that is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back