M1 5W30 --> MPG increase

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, moving on Valvoline Durablend to M1 5W30 gave me a huge MPG difference.

Valvoline : 38 litres = 390 KM
M1 : 38 litres 510 KM

This was typical 2 weeks run, no different driving styles etc.

So i must admit I will save the cost difference in a month or two.

Is M1 5W30 suitable for high RPM engines?

Many people that drag race motorcycles use M1 5W30. I was using it in my Suzuki air/oil motor twisting it up beyond 10,500 rpm every weekend.

KZ's, Busa's, etc all seem to work well with it.

So to answer you question I would say the M1 5W30 will work fine in a high reving motor.

Those numbers are not possible
smile.gif
3% (at most) is possible

I will see how it comes along on my 3rd tank of fuel. Actually it has colder and yet the mileage has actually increased since turning to M1 5W30...
funny...and very strange.

quote:

Originally posted by Al:
Those numbers are not possible
smile.gif
3% (at most) is possible

I'll assume you are kidding.
3% is at most possible? Prove it.
Especially with high RPM vehicles (bikes) there can be significant gains. I used to own a VTR 250 with a 14,000 rpm redline and a 9,000-10,000 rpm 60-mph cruise (top gear). The oil made a pretty big difference at that point.

I never saw 25% mileage gains, however.

jon No my friend I'm not kidding
smile.gif

There has not been a reputable study done which has claimed more than 3% (I have read several-and when I worked in insustry-I saw studies for pump/motor /gear economy statistics). I'll dig up what I can find.

The latest test that I can site is SAE Technical report #982718. It evaluated performance of 59 trucks in 4 different fleets. It compared two varieties of 15W-40 conventional oil and 2 varieties of 5W-40 synthetic oil. Over a test period of 50K miles the average improvement in milage was 3.2%. One of the main reasons for the improvement is the 5W (syn) vs the 15W for the conventional. The 3% is the best you can hope for in a controlled test -And usually a lower viscosity is required to do that.

The industrial applications I am aware of compared Synestic (synthetic ISO 32) with Terrestic (non-syn ISO 68) Exxon claimed a 3% in crease in energy consumption.

Sorry the gains are just not there (btw-I am a synthetic user). I think that the reason folks claim increases is that when they switch to synthetic they are hoping/expecting a difference. They then either consciously or unconsciuly drive conservatively. Driving habits can yield even more than 25% of a energy saving difference.
smile.gif

I would appreciate anyone who can site a reputable study to the contrary. But this subject has come up numerous times and so far there have been zero.
smile.gif

[ January 18, 2004, 11:46 AM: Message edited by: Al ]

quote:

Originally posted by Al:
jon No my friend I'm not kidding
smile.gif

It can happen. It has happened.
Just because you don't hear of things like this or see it advertised does not mean it does not happen.
Have you seen Berings on conventional oil for 500K in a Diesel Truck engine look like NEW.
Have you heard of the same oil giving over 1.+++++Million miles on same type motor with no decrease in MPG nor any repairs to the motor? This same oil a DINO depending on engine (older style) can go up to 70+K and still be suitable for service... Yes a Dino. Naturally these engines are not throwing a lot of soot back into the crankcase like the newer designs.... but the increases are out there.

Just one of mt oils will yield a minimum over 4%
and over 6 and 7 % have been noted on some fleets. This is with just the oil, add a fuel treatment and figure a few more % increase.

In my own private automobile I have gone over the life of the truck (gasoline) from the first ~~26+K under 21 for sure, new 16-18 then 18-21 averaged, later changing the oil brand went up and changing again the type of oil to a Moly oil it went up again to now around over 24 ish, and so far it has gone up every year... with the truck with a couple hundred miles short of 400K.
Others with or without Syn in their engines with less miles (320-380K) have seen a steady decrease in MPG. I have seen some engines improve little and some a lot.

I'm just saying that I have not seen a published long term study with enough vehicles and miles to be statistically valid. You should have at least 30 reliable samples under similar conditions to be statistically valid-and that's cutting it close. I would welcome seeing one. I am not refuting the savings on maintenance-as I said-I am a true believer in synthetics.

I personally never saw more than mre than a 5% gain in synthetics and I really can't say for certain that it it a reliable test.

Just like now-I switched to Schaeffer's blend and my milage appears to be up 1.5 mpg over the last 4 months. Is Schaeffer's blend better with gas milage than the Schaeffers Pure Synthetic which is a 5W and the Blend is a 10W
dunno.gif
I doubt it.

Update!

20/1/2004

37litres : 483KM

USD : HKD 1 : 7.78

Defintely up from the valvoline average figures of 420KM/38litres.

Considering it costs me HKD1.033/KM using Valvoline; and HKD0.87/KM using M1 5W30. Difference of HKD 0.163 /KM.

After 3000 KM the saving is HKD 489.
After 5000 KM the saving is HKD 815.

Assuming OC at 6000KM saving is HKD 978!

A 4 litre can of M1 costs HKD 280 (US version).

So the difference is well worth it, just hope the M1 keeps up it's properties.

M 1 ow30 is the enhanced-increased mileage formulation. M 1 is the new car formulation. Go with 0w30 to see increases in MPG. It works. I drive 3-4,000 miles a month and have noticed a difference as to when the low fuel light comes on.

I buy whatever M1 that's on sale and is either 0W-x or 5W-x

After swapping out the camshafts in my Ford 4.6 OHC engine, I understand the NEED for engine oil to get up into the valvetrain as soon as possible...

But since my local walmart doesn't have 0W-30 (0W-40 is $4.77/qt) I'll have to use 5W-30.

M1 with the same weight has given my car (8500rpm redline) much better gas mileage during spirited driving. I can attest to that. Probably 1-2mpg.

Wow - a 30% improvement in fuel economy due only to changing the oil.

Ever consider that someone is playing a joke on you by adding fuel to your tank?

A 30% improvement is 6 or 7 times more than any controlled study I have ever seen.

Not hard to beleive, beyond believable! Someone is "pulling your chain".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back