M1 5W30 EP Users ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Much is written about the M1 oE20 EP - I'm curious about M1 5W30 EP content / quality : It appears to be a lower PAO % base probably with a lot of additives . VII's , etc. to make the extended miles performance usage for longer drain OCI's ?
Perhaps a good oil choice for a longer drain PFI engine but nothing special for a GDI engine owner running shorter OCI's ?

It has a decent amount of PAO. I don't recall the BOQI number off the top of my head, but it is a good oil for GDI's. SA is .8 and Noack is good.

I've used it for several years on the xB in my sig, it did really well in a 10K UOA with very little shearing and good TBN retention, and also nearly zero consumption. Not sure about a GDI engine, might get fuel soaked too quickly to be worth it, it would take UOAs to see how far it could go.

Originally Posted by blufeb95
Originally Posted by Imp4
What is BOQI?

Base Oil Quality Index

Do you have an industry standard cross reference?

ASTM, ASME, SAE, API, etc....

Originally Posted by ChrisD46
Much is written about the M1 oE20 EP - I'm curious about M1 5W30 EP content / quality : It appears to be a lower PAO % base probably with a lot of additives . VII's , etc. to make the extended miles performance usage for longer drain OCI's ?
Perhaps a good oil choice for a longer drain PFI engine but nothing special for a GDI engine owner running shorter OCI's ?

This is not a new oil, or a novelty. M1-EP, in every grade, is respected and well-known here to be a quality oil (well, there may be a few vocal M1 haters who might attempt to malign it, but they can't offer any empirical evidence against it).

I believe Noack rating of the 0W-20 grade is 10% or so (I think I've read that here). That's a strong indicator of a great 0W-20 oil. Some heavier grades have better Noack ratings, but that's a natural function of a thicker base oil.

I don't think you'll find many on here who would say that this is not one of the best "Walmart oils" out there.

I have used M1 EP 10W30 in the summer and 5W30 when store is out of 10W30 which is harder to find. Goes in our 2.4L GDI ...

The oil stayed clean the longest and doesnt burn much. I change it before OM recommended 7500 miles. Typically 7K to 7.5K miles max.

I think it's a very good oil just based on my experience and observation compared with other oil (syn or dino) ... but I don't do uoa if we want to get technical. I figured if I want to push a gdi to near max recommended oci, might as well try something more solid. if the jug says 15K miles it should last 7K ...
grin2.gif

I also use PP and dino in the same car but reduce the oci to 6K miles with PP and 4500 miles with dino.

*It may be worth trying a 7K OCI from April to Oct. on in my 2.4L GDI engine using M1 5W30 EP if I knew I was doing more miles than normal during this time period .
Originally Posted by OilUzer
I have used M1 EP 10W30 in the summer and 5W30 when store is out of 10W30 which is harder to find. Goes in our 2.4L GDI ...

The oil stayed clean the longest and doesnt burn much. I change it before OM recommended 7500 miles. Typically 7K to 7.5K miles max.

I think it's a very good oil just based on my experience and observation compared with other oil (syn or dino) ... but I don't do uoa if we want to get technical. I figured if I want to push a gdi to near max recommended oci, might as well try something more solid. if the jug says 15K miles it should last 7K ...
grin2.gif

I also use PP and dino in the same car but reduce the oci to 6K miles with PP and 4500 miles with dino.

I've had good results in the Honda last summer; see https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...11-513-miles-mobil1-5w-30-ep#Post5286769 That vehicle currently has 0w-20 M1 EP in the sump, but I plan to switch back to the 5w-30 and stick with it.

The Volvo currently has 5w-30 M1 EP in the sump. All was well over the winter months, but now with warmer weather and 5K on that oil the upper end is getting rather noisy. Not sure if that is attributable to the oil, given that age of the vehicle.

Although the 2.4 owners manual doesn't mention it as an option, I would use the 0w20 instead of 5w20. It's built better than the 5w20 and the only difference is cold starts and even that's more beneficial to the engine in the winter. (most southern states need-not apply)

I am not fond of 5w20s. For my 2.4 GDI....
5w30 (primary)
0w20 & 10w30 (secondary).

One of these days, I will do a 50-50 blend of 0w20 and 10w30. That should entail an interesting UOA. If I lived in Georgia, my primary would be 10w30.

Hello! This M1 5w-30 ep oil has been great for me! I go 20,000 miles per OCI. My vehicle is a 2008 Toyota sienna with 339,756 miles on it now. I use a fram ultra oil filter. The van does not use any oil between oci's. I've done a few uoa's with Blackstone labs and they always come back steller! Thank You! Bill

Originally Posted by ChrisD46

I use it in my Sienna. Excellent UOA after 10k, KV100 stayed above 11 after 10k, TBN down to 2 and something (cannot remember). Flash point at 435 after 10k.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Although the 2.4 owners manual doesn't mention it as an option, I would use the 0w20 instead of 5w20. It's built better than the 5w20 and the only difference is cold starts and even that's more beneficial to the engine in the winter. (most southern states need-not apply)

5w30 (primary)

One of these days, I will do a 50-50 blend of 0w20 and 10w30. That should entail an interesting UOA. If I lived in Georgia, my primary would be 10w30.

What is wrong with 5w-20?

I see mixed review on this.

Originally Posted by painfx
Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en

5w30 (primary)

What is wrong with 5w-20?

I see mixed review on this.

Nothing's wrong with it. I just want my own blend, which is better-suited for me.
Whatever floats your boat ...and mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back