M1 5W30 EP for Severe Duty out to 5K miles ?

Severe duty for my Hyundai 2.4L GDI engine is 3,750 miles (oil type not mentioned in owner's manual) ... Curious if using M1 5W30 EP if "severe duty" (i.e. suburban driving of various trip lengths) the milage could be extended to 5,000 miles or even 7,500 miles using again M1 5W30 EP with a Fram Ultra oil filter ? Of course , a UOA would confirm but just trying for an educated guess in a well kept engine using a top synthetic oil and oil filter to go past 3,750 miles ? *Also to note , Hyundai Service Manager was emphatic to tell my wife : "Any large city / suburban driving is ALWAYS going to put you in the "severe service" category - whether you get your oil changed here at Hyundai or any where else - just be sure to get it done by 3,750 miles".

Severe duty for my Hyundai 2.4L GDI engine is 3,750 miles (oil type not mentioned in owner's manual) ... Curious if using M1 5W30 EP if "severe duty" (i.e. suburban driving of various trip lengths) the milage could be extended to 5,000 miles or even 7,500 miles using again M1 5W30 EP with a Fram Ultra oil filter ? Of course , a UOA would confirm but just trying for an educated guess in a well kept engine using a top synthetic oil and oil filter to go past 3,750 miles ? *Also to note , Hyundai Service Manager was emphatic to tell my wife : "Any large city / suburban driving is ALWAYS going to put you in the "severe service" category - whether you get your oil changed here at Hyundai or any where else - just be sure to get it done by 3,750 miles".

What you'll get here will, at best, be an educated guess, and perhaps even uneducated guesses. Your car and situation is unique, and if you want to push the limits of a Hyundai OCI, it may be wise to get an oil analysis.

Hyundai's severe service interval is kind of bonkers. I think you will find the standard Mobil 5W-30 will easily go 5000 miles without any issues and you can confirm it with analysis. I seriously doubt you need EP but confirm it with a UOA.

I don't think it matters if you use better oil, the fuel dilution and soot production will remain relatively constant for the same driving conditions, extended drains oils are more suited to port injected engines or at least direct injection designs that are less polluting to the oil, since the reason Hyundai recommends such a short interval is because of soot loading and fuel dilution problems their engines designs have, so a better oil isn't going to do much to prevent those so you'll still need to dump it on the severe interval.

I am doing 2x per year on my Ford diluter, but I only drive about 6K miles a year now - mainly short trips.
Luckily this "extra" maintenance is not a cost or time concern

My car has an OLM, it is usually at 50% by 2.5K. Ford requires a 1x per year OCi regardless of OLM status.

"Suburban driving" has nothing to do with severe. It would be the trip length - as long as you are not towing/hauling
or driving on dusty, unpaved roads. I would call Hyundai and get clarification from the CSR.

You are "held hostage" when you buy a Hyundai product. Hope fully this is no more than 3x per year OCI.
No use paying for a UOA to extend interval a bit just to "save" one OCI per year. It's not cost effective.

BTW I'm loving the 10W30 QSFS. Fuel mileage is way up, response way up, engine noise is way down.

- Ken

Stay with the owner's manual while under warranty if this is one of those engines that's prone to failure. Otherwise, reach out to Mobil and ask them what their policy is on the use of their EP product in this application and what you can run for an interval. Get something in writing.

I owned a 2013 Sonata with the 2.4L.
The 3750 mile OCI is the standard for Canada. Canada has a supplementary maintenance manual they give you on purchase - so an extra manual you get in addition to the US manual.
As mentioned, the goal is probably to remove soot and fuel from the oil with the "frequent" oil changes.
Suggest using the least expensive synthetic such as Kirkland or Supertech, OEM filter and change every 3750 miles.

Stay with the owner's manual while under warranty if this is one of those engines that's prone to failure. Otherwise, reach out to Mobil and ask them what their policy is on the use of their EP product in this application and what you can run for an interval. Get something in writing.

A good option ...

Yes M1EP would most likely do OK for 5000 miles in a GDI, even with severe service -- obviously EP is designed for extended service intervals and you're running a great filter. But 7500 miles with severe service? I wouldn't. According to Hyundai, you're already pushing it at 5000 miles. If you do at least a few hundred highway miles between services, I would go 5000 miles on any name brand FS and be done. If your driving is 100% city stop & go, I would go 4000 miles just to keep the service intervals at even numbers.

How is that driving severe duty? What does Hyundai then considers normal duty? Sitting in garage?

Yes M1EP would most likely do OK for 5000 miles in a GDI, even with severe service -- obviously EP is designed for extended service intervals and you're running a great filter. But 7500 miles with severe service? I wouldn't. According to Hyundai, you're already pushing it at 5000 miles. If you do at least a few hundred highway miles between services, I would go 5000 miles on any name brand FS and be done. If your driving is 100% city stop & go, I would go 4000 miles just to keep the service intervals at even numbers.
My guess is even humble Ole QSFS would do 5000 miles a lot cheaper standing on its head! But lately I've picked some Mobil 1 very cheaply not EP but as cheap as $14.70 a Jug.

Unless it takes you 375 hours to reach 3,750 miles you can honestly go farther on that fill unless you're more than happy to spend more on oil. If it takes you a hundred hours or less to reach that then you're changing pretty early. Severe duty can kind of easily be calculated by the average miles per engine running hour if you know what the running hours are. I do about 46 miles per running running hour in my truck. But in my other truck it's 28.

Back