M1 5w30 burnoff

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been using the 5qt walmart jugs of Mobil 1 5w30 (are these any worse than the regular) for $25, and I am always missing literally quarts of oil everytime i change the oil. I change it appx. every 3-5k miles, and do mostly city driving with a fair amount of agressive engine revving. I figured it was just my engine, but I have been reading alot of things about people blaming M1's quality for the burnoff.
i have a 2000 firebird 3.8L with 140k miles, the motor itself is still running good. I want to give it a better oil if m1 is as bad as everyone is saying.

I thought about GC 0w30 but cant find it anymore. ive heard alot about Penz plat. as well. if royal purple or redline or amsoil are far superior i wouldn't mind the extra price.
what would you guys recommend for me?

just switch to a diff syn and see if that makes a diff
I have used m1 for nearly 40 ocis and never lost any.

You could try Maxlife Full Syn oil or maybe step up a grade to say a 5w-40 regular Synpower or 10w-40 Mobil 1 HM.

Last edited:
ive been using m1 for about 3 years and 50k now. noticed the oil disappearing around 25k/2years ago.

Originally Posted By: 00firebird
I want to give it a better oil if m1 is as bad as everyone is saying.

As bad ,,as everyone is saying??? dude the oil if fine.

Agree with others, the car is in fact not new anymore.

Every time I eye a 199x... I have to remind myself that those cars are now OLD.
A 2000 is now falling into this group as well. Use a different oil, try the M1 HM stuff.

I used M1 5W-30 for 11 years in my 1998 Camry V6. Dipstick never indicated any oil use/loss in between 6-7K mile OCI's. Sold it a few months ago.

If you want to compare it to another synthetic, make sure you pick a 5W-30. But 5W-30 may be a little too thin for your engine in its current condition.

Originally Posted By: tig1
It's not the oil, it's your engine.

+1, M1 gets a lot of heat for various reasons, but it's a good oil.

Try something else if you're burning too much, maybe some cheap dino to control costs?

Originally Posted By: Mark888
I used M1 5W-30 for 11 years in my 1998 Camry V6. Dipstick never indicated any oil use/loss in between 6-7K mile OCI's. Sold it a few months ago.

If you want to compare it to another synthetic, make sure you pick a 5W-30. But 5W-30 may be a little too thin for your engine in its current condition.

which is more thin, 0w30 or 10w30? little confused on the numbers.

I've seen posts where folks used dino, syns, and everything in between and have essentially zero burn-off even over long OCIs. And as stated in my other post, I presently have 9.2k miles on M1 0w20 with zero burn off.

So "burn-off" defined as evaporation is not likely your problem.

Originally Posted By: 00firebird
which is more thin, 0w30 or 10w30? little confused on the numbers.

If your engine is leaking or burning oil with 5W-30, I would try a high mileage oil and/or a higher viscosity oil such as 10W-40 or 0W-40.

My 2000 Frontier P/U is not burning any Mobil 1 oil. It has the same amount of oil since the last oil change at 80,000 miles...

You have an engine problem, not an oil problem.

Valve seals, Crankcase ventilation and piston rings are normal suspects for excess oil usage if it is not leaking elsewhere.
Easiest to fix in this order are , Crankcase ventilation, Valve seals then piston rings. If you aren't going to fix the problem just run an inexpensive fleet oil. No need to spend the money on an engine with an integrity issue.

The first thing to do is to check and top up the oil every thousand miles or so. The second thing to do is to try some PP at WM it may disappear more slowly. The third thing to do is to stop driving a car with 140k hard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back