M1 5w30, 8,484km, 2013 F150 EB, 89,720km

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone, here is the latest UOA from my wife's '13 F150 ecoboost. Not much to report here. I refilled with M1 5w30 again, and a motorcraft filter. Thoughts?

13%20F150-1019162_zpsqihuz2b1.jpg

The oil sheared, maybe because of some fuel dilution too, but how could 3ppm of tin tell you that this engine needs a thicker oil?

Yeah, I agree - I'm thinking its best to keep the OCI around 9,000km. I'm going to try some Castrol Edge soon to see if I get any better results. I would like to try Magntec but cant find it anywhere near me.

You could try it, I would be surprised if Edge tested better. Not from my use of it anyway. I am shocked the M1 sheared as much as it did. The QSUD, although not the most popular oil, is gaining momentum. It certainly is shocking me the last 2 years. I never use to care for QS products but that's all changed now. I'd run the QSUD 5w30 with UOA. IMO

Yeah, I'm not expecting anything dramatically different from castrol but I figure it's worth a try. The first 60k was with PP, then about 40k with M1. Have enough castrol for 3 oil changes (about 27k) so should be a good comparison. Maybe I'll give QSUD a try after that

Thanks for this data ... going to (continue to) land on the 5k camp on my eB ... Assume fuel cuts happen on this mill ...
Pretty twisty for 3.5L of basic kit ...

I'd give PU a try, especially if you can still get in on their UOA program. It would be great to see a side by side with PU.

Yeah, could try PU - have stayed away from it do to the cost here in Canad. If it provides better results the additional cost may be justified.

Originally Posted By: deven
Need a thicker oil. This oil is getting beat up and shearing evident by the tin value!

Back in the day when I had a Lexus ES330, that car would beat up the oil and the Tin value would always be elevated. I seeked out Terry Dyson and his professional advice and that is what he would tell me. If tin value was over 2 per 10,000 miles 99.9% of the time the oil had sheared out of grade by quite a bit.

Has it had the same oil all it's life? I wonder if Mobil 1 0W40 would reduce the Iron Copper and Tin?

Mobil 1 0W40 is close to being a thick 30, I'd use that, then it'd shear and or dilute down to a mid range 30.

Originally Posted By: Popsy
Good to know. Where does tin comes from exactly?

It is typically found in crankshaft journal, connecting rod, and camshaft bearings, along with heat exchanger cores and thrust washers.

Thanks Deven. I've already got a stash of castrol edge 5w30 that I was planning to use next. Maybe I'll try mixing it 50/50 with 0w40 to bring up the viscosity slightly -see if that helps.

Originally Posted By: gap599
Thanks Deven. I've already got a stash of castrol edge 5w30 that I was planning to use next. Maybe I'll try mixing it 50/50 with 0w40 to bring up the viscosity slightly -see if that helps.
Why the slightly?

Just assuming that if i mix 5w30 and 0w40 at a 50/50 ratio, i'll end up with a ~35w oil which would only be slightly thicker than the 5w30. Correct me if i'm wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back