M1 5W20 High Mileage in a NEW car

Well, I have a stock of the 12QT boxes of M1 5W20HM from the walmart fest last year, 60ish quarts...

And a 2K mile 2021 Mustang GT. Would you hesitate to run in in this car? Or maybe just unload the oil cheap on marketplace and run with Castrol Edge or similar, non HM?

Lots, and lots of threads on that topic as well as information on manufacturer websites. ExxonMobil for one. All oils have seal "conditioning" additives and if they are API licensed then they fall within the seal swelling limits permitted by the license. ACEA sequences and manufacturer approvals also have limits.

Despite popular belief that car have soul and knows what type of oil it has, car DO NOT have soul.
So, cars or vehicle or engine in general, don't care as long as it has oil.
They don't even know if it has been changed, either.

Mobil recommends against it, but it technically meets your owners manual requirements.

Mobil recommends against it, but it technically meets your owners manual requirements.
Can you link to that specific recommendation on their site?

Valvoline certainly doesn't say that:

Strictly as an amatur poster and not read any of kschachn’s linked history post high mileage oil is a big red flag for me. The only time I would try it is if oil seals were leaking. But if you do use it, stay with it and do not go back.

Lots, and lots of threads on that topic as well as information on manufacturer websites. ExxonMobil for one. All oils have seal "conditioning" additives and if they are API licensed then they fall within the seal swelling limits permitted by the license. ACEA sequences and manufacturer approvals also have limits.

Touche'. Thanks!

Can you link to that specific recommendation on their site?

Valvoline certainly doesn't say that:

Mobil's recommendation has always been different than Valvoline and they used to state this in their FAQ section.

I sent an email to Mobil and will post the reply once I receive one.

Well, I have a stock of the 12QT boxes of M1 5W20HM from the walmart fest last year, 60ish quarts...

And a 2K mile 2021 Mustang GT. Would you hesitate to run in in this car? Or maybe just unload the oil cheap on marketplace and run with Castrol Edge or similar, non HM?
Yes because it's 5w20.

Strictly as an amatur poster and not read any of kschachn’s linked history post high mileage oil is a big red flag for me. The only time I would try it is if oil seals were leaking. But if you do use it, stay with it and do not go back.
Over the last 16 years I have done it several time and gone back and forth. I've seen no adverse effects!

If I was ypu, I would use that oil in your Mustang with no fear at all.

I drive a brand new 2020 Honda Accord Hybrid that calls for 0W20. I am using 0W16 and most of the guys on the Accord forum say something will happen to my car. Guess what? Nothing will happen.

Also, I have mixed 0W20, 0W20 high mileage, 5W20, and 5W30. I mixed all 4 for one oil change. Car drove great! The car didn't feel anything different. I currently have 4 quarts of 0W16 in my car and it is going great!

I have a stash of oil at home that I bought for $2 a quart. Enough for 6 more oil changes. I have a combination of different weights.

So, I have decided that my next oil change will be mixing; 2 quarts of 0W16, 1 quart of 0W20 high mileage and 1 quart of 10W30! My car takes 4 quarts for an oil change. I will mix all that for my next oil change. My car will still drive great. I still get 55.9mpg!

Here is my odometer as I just pulled up at home tonight. 55.9mpg so far on this tank of gas after 475 miles so far. I do hypermile. This is 50% highway and 50% city driving. Tires set at 40psi, instead of Honda recommended 33psi.
ORtHVIh.jpg

I will not used high mileage oil low mileage car because high mileage oil higher % seal conditioner/ swealler maybe 1 qt max if 6 qts capacity after 100k it will go hm oil.

Back