M1 5W-40 TDT, 9,000 miles, 01 VW Beetle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: LargeCarManX2
It's a long story guys....had too been around a while. I am sure that some esters as well are mixed with the group III product. It's like Amsoil's group III offering.

I was alluding more to the fact that it really isn't factual to state that D1/TDT are GIII. Nobody other than XOM really knows. Doug has posted in the past that D1 at least was/is a PAO based product. In what percentage, I don't know.

Originally Posted By: LargeCarManX2
It's a long story guys....had too been around a while. I am sure that some esters as well are mixed with the group III product. It's like Amsoil's group III offering.

I'd like to know that long story.

I've read here, from one of the more 'knowing' members, that TDT is 75% PAO/25% Ester, and that is what makes it soooo stout.

M1 10w-40 motorcycle oil has a pour of -65F, so that is prob a real syn. Given the TDT 5w rating and 25K mrv and its ability to maintain viscosity, it is prob a real syn too. I think the M1 R 4T is on sale at AZ for 2 bucks off - now thats a deal - real "super stout top of the line best" syn for the price of fauxsyn. Yes, you can run it in your car.

TDT is a REAL Man's oil.
grin2.gif

Regarding the base oils, below is some of what we have to go on:

Japanese MSDS for MOBIL 1 5W-40 says:
- Mineral Oil: 30-40 %weight
Japanese MSDS M1 5W-40
Some but not all of that is additive carrier (usually about 5-10%).

Korean MSDS for MOBIL 1 TURBO DIESEL TRUCK 5W-40 says:
- 1-DECENE, TETRAMER AND TRIMER HYDROGENATED...CAS:68649-12-7
Percentage: 20 - 30% Korean MSDS M1 Turbo Diesel Truck
That is PAO. So to believe there is no Group III present is to believe that the remainder fluids are only mineral additive carrier fluid and Group V. I doubt it.

As an aside, ,ack when it was posted on BITOG years ago that Delvac 1 had ~25% ester, there were VOAs in which the oxidation measurement was 0 or nearly 0. Since esters show up as oxidation in that FTIR test, little or no ester was present. Who do you believe, the person(s) saying there was ~25% ester or the lab results? I believe the lab results.

+1

All of the prior comments about D1/esters was completely made up non-sense. No one knows that. Formulations change a lot too.

As to what JAG said, there is little doubt in my mind that TDT wouldn't be using some Grp III.

Originally Posted By: buster
TDT is a REAL Man's oil.
grin2.gif

For manly men who do manly things with other manly men.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: buster

As to what JAG said, there is little doubt in my mind that TDT wouldn't be using some Grp III.

You've destroyed hope that the last bastion of integrity would remain constant in our ever changing world.

They wanted to believe!!!
frown.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back