M1 5W-40 TDT, 9,000 miles, 01 VW Beetle

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is my brothers car. It was my mothers car for 8 years. I bought all the oil and filters for her. She drove 38,000 in the 8 years. I did 6 month OCI's for the first 7 years. The car started off with Delvac 1 for the first three years. I then used 76 Synthetic 5W-40 for two OCI's in one year. Then I went to RTS 5W-40 for the next three years. The last OCI of a year long was with Castrol Syntec 5W-40.

My brother's first OCI was M1 5W-40 TDT also. I told him to wait unitl the second OCI before getting a UOA. He drives 70 miles roundtrip, all highway to work in Sonoma County, CA.

2001 VW Beetle 2.0 8V
Miles on car: 54,000
Miles on oil: 9,000
Oil filter : Mobil 1 EP
Make up oil: 2 quarts

PaulsOCI.jpg

Last edited:
I'll take it this was a 6 month OCI too? I see no reason to change it at this interval with this product. I think it could manage one year. I guess he could add 50% to the goal line in some progressive manner ..9months.

Edit: as is en vogue lately - and always assumed to be neglected, have him check or fine (and often complex) Teutonic PCV system for fitness and function ..even though I don't find the consumption in excess.

Originally Posted By: LargeCarManX2
These group III oils are just amazing. Most of the time 5$ and under a quart. The oil is starting to thicken. I would service and try 12K next time. Try the green cap 0w30wt as well.

Grp 3?? Please explain where you find this. Thanks.

The only thing that confuses me is the viscosity @100c. The TDT is 14.9 @100c. Why are they showing the Viscosity of of a 5W-40 between 11.6-13.7?

Originally Posted By: Finklejag
The only thing that confuses me is the viscosity @100c. The TDT is 14.9 @100c. Why are they showing the Viscosity of of a 5W-40 between 11.6-13.7?

That's the composite of all samples presented for this engine or chassis ..same as the rest of the numbers ...except that they give you the high-low on it.

Oils over the universal average of miles had viscs that range from x-X, with flash points that were >Y, etc..etc..etc.

Originally Posted By: tig1
These group III oils are just amazing. Most of the time 5$ and under a quart. The oil is starting to thicken. I would service and try 12K next time. Try the green cap 0w30wt as well.

Grp 3?? Please explain where you find this. Thanks.

Indeed.

I know that VW 2.0's are known for oil consumption, but 2 quarts of a high-quality, 40wt. HDEO seem like a lot to me. At least, it's a more expensive regime to keep up.

I'd move to Rotella 'T6' 5W-40 to get good protection, and save some cash.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
I know that VW 2.0's are known for oil consumption, but 2 quarts of a high-quality, 40wt. HDEO seem like a lot to me. At least, it's a more expensive regime to keep up.

It's not ideal, but I'm not sure I'd say it's a lot either. That's basically 1 qt very 4500 miles or less than 1/4 qt per 1000 miles. You do have to keep an eye on it, I won't argue with that.

On that model year, one of the gaskets (I forget which one) was installed up side down at the factory, thus causing increased oil consumption.

Originally Posted By: Auto-Union
Don't you know an oil without VW specs will destroy your engine?

TDT is one of my favorites and will often perform above and beyond it's specs/certs. Just wish it was less expensive.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: addyguy

It's not ideal, but I'm not sure I'd say it's a lot either. That's basically 1 qt very 4500 miles or less than 1/4 qt per 1000 miles. You do have to keep an eye on it, I won't argue with that.

On that model year, one of the gaskets (I forget which one) was installed up side down at the factory, thus causing increased oil consumption.

I think it was one of the piston rings. Of course VW just said 1 qt in 1000km was reasonable, rather than fixing the engines.

Try the green cap 0w30wt as well.

Me thinks that would be a bit on the thin side for a VAG engine!

Why so thick? I used to use GC on my VW Beetle 2.0

Now I'm just using edge in it... 9.8cSt at 100C, no problems, it just increased my fuel mileage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back